• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Desert Run! A 3d animation short

The car looks good, but the desert looks weird.

yeah, I was a noob so I didn't know much about textures yet and how the light reacts with stuff. I started from a few angles that seemed ok, but then like... 80 hours in I was like "ah, the sand looks like crap".

I was more concerned with making the movement look realistic though, and the actual process of animating. Since then I've learned quite a bit, but I'm held back by my hardware. For example, in the project I'm working on now I need a parking lot. I wanted to apply some texture to make it look like real pavement... but when I hit that render button my computer basically said "F-U". So I have to make that tradeoff and just try to get the color to seem like its pavement and try not to draw much attention to it.

It's a good first effort, I understand about the textures, it's hard to learn when frames are taking 50 minutes each, so I do test animations without the textures also.

I do kind of wonder about your color choice on the car though. Almost anything else would have stood out more. You colored the car nearly the same color as the desert. And why no red taillights?

Camera angles were ok, and direction was pretty good at times.

It's a good first effort, I understand about the textures, it's hard to learn when frames are taking 50 minutes each, so I do test animations without the textures also.

I do kind of wonder about your color choice on the car though. Almost anything else would have stood out more. You colored the car nearly the same color as the desert. And why no red taillights?

Camera angles were ok, and direction was pretty good at times.

its actually bright red, but its reflecting a lot of the ground color, and the sky color. If I had known more at the time I would have played with the specularity to avoid this. It took me a long time to be able to make something glossy that doesn't just reflect the color of everything around it like a mirror. Its actually still a challenge, but now I at least know what to tweak.

its actually bright red, but its reflecting a lot of the ground color, and the sky color. If I had known more at the time I would have played with the specularity to avoid this. It took me a long time to be able to make something glossy that doesn't just reflect the color of everything around it like a mirror. Its actually still a challenge, but now I at least know what to tweak.

You know you can just download free car paint materials right? Vray comes with them. You might want to try the vray demo if you haven't already. It can do a lot for your look using only the factory presets.

Check out the very beginning of the opening scene of this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a27pCW2DPc0

You know you can just download free car paint materials right? Vray comes with them. You might want to try the vray demo if you haven't already. It can do a lot for your look using only the factory presets.

yeah, I have vray 1.5 sp5 now, but this was done before I had vray using mental ray.

using a downloaded material doesn't fix the problem, its more like a bandaid. Instead I learn from the mistake and learn how to fix it myself. Thats how I roll.

Back