• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Echo - 7D Short (2011)

I think you've done a fantastic job of showing a fairly coherent story without the use of dialogue. It's rare to see that done particularly well nowadays. Saying that, I think there was a bit too much emphasis on the guy who kills himself too early in the film - it made his story seem as important to the film as the main guy, yet felt badly done in that sense too (because even though he was meant to be a simple part of the story, he was presented otherwise, and it felt like there wasn't enough about him in there).

I also can't understand why he'd put the gun in a bush when there was a perfectly good river there if he wanted to get rid of it.

The weakest part of the film was definitely the audio. It needs to be lowered in volume, especially during the opening section when the music is playing, and cleaned up to get rid of the majority of that background noise. At certain points the background noise became louder than what the characters were doing, which gives off a very amateurish feel.

Overall though, it was a very nice piece! I'll look forward to seeing more from you :)

awesome.

I was only tinking that around 3:06 and 3:12, I'd have tried a shot with the subject in focus also and the foreground out of focus, just to see how that would look.

But it's great. I enjoyed it. I didn't really care about a backstory while I was watching it. Nicely done. Your main actor was pretty good too. That always helps.

Very interesting short.
But I didn't understand what the relationship between the three characters was.
Was it coincidence that the two met by the river?

@ThatGuyFromThatPlace : Thank you very much for your (overall) very positive review! We understand what you mean. We felt, after a few critics, we should have added a few scenaristic details here and there to add some depth in the psychology of the characters and help to feel more compassionate about their situation... maybe a life scene for the depressed character or a picture or something for the revengeful one.

Well, apparently, the scene when the killer is staring at the water and finally decides to keep the gun and hide it, should have been more clear about that decision taking. He hadn't the "guts" to take the guy down but neither he resigns himself to get rid of the gun and he can t totally forget about taking revenge.

We can't do more than agree with your opinion about the audio. The lack of material is not a good enough excuse and it would have definitely needed more time spent working on it.

Thank you very much for your support! We really need it! We will post another work we have done during the summer really soon! We are curious about your reaction!

Last edited:
@trueindie : Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment!

That s a really warm feeling to read someone referring to awesomeness when talking about our work! Thank you!!!

The scenes you refer to were choices we made. Eventhough the 3:06 could have deserved some more experiments and takes.

We' re really glad you liked it! The main actor is totally amateur so you just made his day! ^^

@kinglis : Thank you for your time and interest!

Well, the first character you see in the short wants to take revenge on the guy with glasses. The depressed character does not know the other two. He can not resign himself to commit suicide. So when he stumbles upon that gun, for him it s probably more than a coincidence.
So, you can call it fate or coincidence depending on how you conceive life ^^

@trueindie : Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment!

That s a really warm feeling to read someone referring to awesomeness when talking about our work! Thank you!!!

The scenes you refer to were choices we made. Eventhough the 3:06 could have deserved some more experiments and takes.

We' re really glad you liked it! The main actor is totally amateur so you just made his day! ^^

Evades,
Glad you get that warm feeling from me. That is precisely the intention. But don't let it get to your head my friend :). I liked it more because it appeared that you guys did a lot with nothing.

3:06 to me looked more like a practical decision: "look, he's moving, and somebody will have to pull focus, how about we pull focus for a few takes, and the other takes we keep the foreground in focus?" My hope is that you guys at least tried to pull focus for a few takes.

Yeah, overall I had a nice feeling watching it. It is the same feeling that I get when I pull off something with nothing. That's how I felt. You guys made something with nothing. So nice job.

@kinglis : Thank you for your time and interest!

Well, the first character you see in the short wants to take revenge on the guy with glasses. The depressed character does not know the other two. He can not resign himself to commit suicide. So when he stumbles upon that gun, for him it s probably more than a coincidence.
So, you can call it fate or coincidence depending on how you conceive life ^^

Thanks for explaining. The thing is, I should have been able to understand it from the visuals. I get it now. It's not a bad idea. But.
The very beginning of the film is grabbing, and then you slow the pace and intrigue down by showing a guy just smoking (whatever he's smoking) and taking two pills. This is hardly an indication of someone trying to kill themselves or even being depressed. "The depressed guy" is like a coincidence in the film, which is not good, especially if you introduce him so early.

When you have such a good beginning, you should keep the pace up. It's better to show his enemy next (the guy with the glasses, the antagonist), so we can understand what their relationship is
(THE CONFLICT).

I don't know how and why "the depressed guy" killing himself inspires the main character to want to blow his brains off and then to finally choose to go through with the revenge.
This would inspire me to throw the gun in the river instead.

Edit: If you think I'm being to hard on you, It's because I think you've got talent, guys.

Last edited:
Evades,
Glad you get that warm feeling from me. That is precisely the intention. But don't let it get to your head my friend :). I liked it more because it appeared that you guys did a lot with nothing.

3:06 to me looked more like a practical decision: "look, he's moving, and somebody will have to pull focus, how about we pull focus for a few takes, and the other takes we keep the foreground in focus?" My hope is that you guys at least tried to pull focus for a few takes.

Yeah, overall I had a nice feeling watching it. It is the same feeling that I get when I pull off something with nothing. That's how I felt. You guys made something with nothing. So nice job.

Thanks for pulling us back on hard land hehe. Well, when we shot 3:06 we were low on batteries anyway so we did not really "try" things. But we kinda like it the way it is. We wanted that blur/focus/blur effect. The result might not look as revolutionary as we would like to see it though haha.

That is somewhat the impression we want to make : "See what we can do with duct tape and sticks ? Imagine what we could do with a travelling, a steady, some more lenses..."

Thanks again for your time and interest.

PS : I watched your Canadian Mafia. Good job! We are particularly fond of that kind of universe! Is Part 2 coming soon ? Did you manage to get some visibility for it ?

Thanks for explaining. The thing is, I should have been able to understand it from the visuals. I get it now. It's not a bad idea. But.
The very beginning of the film is grabbing, and then you slow the pace and intrigue down by showing a guy just smoking (whatever he's smoking) and taking two pills. This is hardly an indication of someone trying to kill themselves or even being depressed. "The depressed guy" is like a coincidence in the film, which is not good, especially if you introduce him so early.

When you have such a good beginning, you should keep the pace up. It's better to show his enemy next (the guy with the glasses, the antagonist), so we can understand what their relationship is
(THE CONFLICT).

I don't know how and why "the depressed guy" killing himself inspires the main character to want to blow his brains off and then to finally choose to go through with the revenge.
This would inspire me to throw the gun in the river instead.

Edit: If you think I'm being to hard on you, It's because I think you've got talent, guys.

Hi! We wanted to make that crossroad effect. Those lives should be parallels but they finally meet at some point of time and space. We did not want to make him look not important. In that way, maybe we should have given him more importance.
He is some kind of victim of collateral damage from the main character's mistakes/cowardness (not killing his enemy, not throwing the gun in the river..). So, when he commits suicide, the main character feels guilt at first, facing his own mistakes/cowardness. It is not right for him that an innocent loses his life and he finally blames the guy with the glasses for everything. Whatever decision he might take afterwards, he would take revenge.

We felt like it would be "funny" to cheat and let the viewer think he might gonna kill the depressed guy.

Thank you! And don't worry, we like it raw and dirty! Don't hold back! ^^

Thanks for pulling us back on hard land hehe. Well, when we shot 3:06 we were low on batteries anyway so we did not really "try" things. But we kinda like it the way it is. We wanted that blur/focus/blur effect. The result might not look as revolutionary as we would like to see it though haha.

That is somewhat the impression we want to make : "See what we can do with duct tape and sticks ? Imagine what we could do with a travelling, a steady, some more lenses..."

Thanks again for your time and interest.

PS : I watched your Canadian Mafia. Good job! We are particularly fond of that kind of universe! Is Part 2 coming soon ? Did you manage to get some visibility for it ?

I like the way it is too :). I was just making an observation.

Thanks for watching the Canadian Mafia. I know what you mean by that Universe. I like that universe too. Part 2 is not in the works right now. I've got a funny script, but one of the actors now has an agent and he's in a short that got picked up by Cannes. So he can't really be in anything his agent does not approve of.

Busy trying to win some ad competitions right now. Hopefully I make a little money and then use it towards a semi-pulp fiction :). One can only hope.

Good luck with everything.
aveek

I like the way it is too :). I was just making an observation.

Thanks for watching the Canadian Mafia. I know what you mean by that Universe. I like that universe too. Part 2 is not in the works right now. I've got a funny script, but one of the actors now has an agent and he's in a short that got picked up by Cannes. So he can't really be in anything his agent does not approve of.

Busy trying to win some ad competitions right now. Hopefully I make a little money and then use it towards a semi-pulp fiction :). One can only hope.

Good luck with everything.
aveek

Which actor is it ? We were in the Short Film Corner this year in Cannes. No results but that was interesting hehe.

Good luck to you too!

We will be watching you... (Sounds scary hehe)

Which actor is it ? We were in the Short Film Corner this year in Cannes. No results but that was interesting hehe.

Good luck to you too!

We will be watching you... (Sounds scary hehe)

Pillarella. The guy who plays Vinny. He was in a short called Stealin' Home. The short will also be premiering at the Toronto International Film Festival.

Back