DSLR cameras under $1000

Hi everyone,
I'm seriously considering upgrading my gear, and getting a DSLR camera for Christmas. However, I'm not quite sure which one to get, and in particular, I'd like to have just enough room left over to spend on sound equipment and other accessories after I buy the camera without going over $1,000. I don't know whether or not to go with a Canon or a Panasonic, mainly because I've read that you can't shoot video continuously on a Canon, and I don't know if all Panasonic cameras allow you to do that either (and I don't even know which model is best). Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

I've got a Panasonic GH1. Got it for $400, then spent another $150 or so on vintage lenses for it. No issues with overheating or with clip length. And when it's hacked, it produces a really, really fantastic quality image for the money.

Cameron,
I'm certainly leaning towards the Panasonic cameras, mainly this one:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ100/FZ100A.HTM

I tried looking for the GH1 but every one of them is more than $400. Are you referring to the Lumix model? My main concern is generally with the sound, because I know that some of the Panasonics have external microphone jacks, but I'm not sure exactly which microphone would be best for those. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cameron,
I'm certainly leaning towards the Panasonic cameras, mainly this one:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ100/FZ100A.HTM

I tried looking for the GH1 but every one of them is more than $400. Are you referring to the Lumix model? My main concern is generally with the sound, because I know that some of the Panasonics have external microphone jacks, but I'm not sure exactly which microphone would be best for those. Thanks for the suggestion.

When I googled that camera, the very first link I found says that it has a problem with sensor noise. Then, there are questions regarding shooting video -- does it have full manual exposure, while shooting video? The link I followed didn't answer that question, and it's very important. The T1i didn't have manual control; the T2i does, for example. Does this one? Also, this may not matter, but it looks like it only shoots 30p.

Anyway, my point is that you've really gotta dig deep. Just based on the one review I read, I wouldn't get this one, when something better is just a couple hundred dollars away. My two cents -- if you've got $1,000 to spend on a camera, use the entire $1,000 (unless, you want something really cheap, in which case I've totally recommended used miniDV).

The T1i didn't have manual control; the T2i does, for example. Does this one? Also, this may not matter, but it looks like it only shoots 30p.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ100/FZ100DAT.HTM

Movie Resolution: 1920x1080, 1280x720, 848x480, 640x480, 320x240
Movie Frame Rate: 60i/50i, 60/50/30, 30, 30, 30
Manual Focus: Yes
Aperture Priority: Yes
Shutter Priority: Yes
Full Manual Exposure: Yes

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz100/specifications.html
And I DO NOT see any external microphone jack info.

However, everyone with any sense around here is gonna tell you anyway to record all your audio separately with a shotgun+boom pole+digital recorder, so it's really a non-issue issue.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ100/FZ100DAT.HTM

Movie Resolution: 1920x1080, 1280x720, 848x480, 640x480, 320x240
Movie Frame Rate: 60i/50i, 60/50/30, 30, 30, 30
Manual Focus: Yes
Aperture Priority: Yes
Shutter Priority: Yes
Full Manual Exposure: Yes

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz100/specifications.html
And I DO NOT see any external microphone jack info.

However, everyone with any sense around here is gonna tell you anyway to record all your audio separately with a shotgun+boom pole+digital recorder, so it's really a non-issue issue.

Right, but some of what you posted was only listed under "exposure", and this doesn't necessarily apply to video. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't; it's worth remembering that these aren't video cameras.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what I should do. Personally, in my situation, where money is very tight, I don't think that I should spend more than $1,000 to try to get a decent camera. I don't think, also, that miniDV is going to work either because the technology seems very outdated (at least to me, anyway), and I really don't want to have to fool with a bunch of tapes lying around. I think it would probably be better to just keep looking, and maybe talk with someone in person, like at Best Buy or one of the other stores, who would also know about this. Again, this is just my opinion, but I really don't want to break the bank on this. Thanks, though.

Right, but some of what you posted was only listed under "exposure", and this doesn't necessarily apply to video. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't; it's worth remembering that these aren't video cameras.
I've got a poopy little rinky-dink Sanyo Xacti 1010 camcorder/camera combo.
All the stuff I can fiddle with one I can do the same for the other.
I figured it it would be the same for some fancy-schmancy DSLR, no?
Or the same principles don't necessarily apply?
TIA! (Cause I'm cultivating as much spectator info possible on this subject myself!) ;)

The person at Best Buy, much more often than not, has absolutely no clue what they are talking about, but that won't stop them from straight-up lying to your face. Is best to do online research. But do your research.

Question - why is it that low-budget indie filmmakers are going gaga over the T2i, T3i, the GH2, and all the other Canons? Yet, you never hear about the camera you listed? If you can sufficiently answer that question, then you've done your research, and after you've done your research, then you ask for further opinions in a thread like this.

At this point, I'm still not sure. I will try to just research online, before I make my decision. The only reason I was unsure about the Canon models was because they don't shoot continuous video, although I've found that the T2I does, at least. Thanks, everyone.

Last edited:
The naysaying on the GH1 surprises me. Once it's hacked the image quality matches the Canon line, and deals with moire and aliasing better. Pretty much any lens that can cover the sensor can be adapted to use, unlike the T2i. It also has full manual exposure and 24P. The problem you'll have is they were recently discontinued; if you wait until Christmas there won't be any available. It's successor, the GH2, is a fantastic camera out of the box. In my opinion it beats out the Canon line of cameras in image quality and has greatly improved on the aliasing and moire issues related to CMOS chips. The availability has been less than stellar due to the Japan tsunami, but that seems to be taken care of now.

Just to give you my background, I have made shorts with the Panasonic GH1 and I own a GH2. Last month I was DP on a short using a Canon 60D, and I have shot b-roll with the T2i. The Canons are great, but I do feel the Panasonic cameras are a better choice. The only limiting factor is the slightly smaller sensor size, but it's quite negligible IMO.

I think that I've found the camera that will work for me, Sineater, and it's one of the Panasonic Lumix G2 models. I read the descriptions on Amazon.com and it has an output for an external stereo mic, which I've been looking for. I think I'll go with that one. Thanks.

Please understand that there is a big difference between the G2 and GH2. I wouldn't suggest buying a G2 for video; it's simply not in the same league as the GH cameras or the Canons. Also, recording audio on a DSLR isn't the best idea. You should be recording on a separate audio recorder and syncing in post.

Back