• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Pigs in a Blanket

Warning: some off-color jokes, and crude language

This year's entry in the Richmond 48HFP.

Assigned elements:

Genre - Detective/Cop
Character - Tyler, or Tyra Hampton, electrician
Prop - hair dryer
Line of dialogue - "From now on, you call the shots"

http://www.vimeo.com/26848263

Thumbs up.

I think i sent u an email abt this one.

Thanks! :)

Also, I forgot to add a couple behind-the-scenes tidbits that I meant to mention.

The coloring -- I decided to step outside of my box, for this one. I'm definitely no colorist, and so I normally just play it safe, and go for a more "natural" color scheme (as in, whatever I got in camera is what I use, with some minor correcting). But I thought, ahh heck, it's the 48HFP, might as well have some fun with it. I tried to emulate the cliched look of a "gritty crime drama", played with the orange-blue thing a bit, and desaturated it a good bit.

The nonstop handheld was actually a logistical choice. We were so run-and-gun, that we really didn't have time to rehearse anything other than dialogue, and so blocking was pretty much improvised. Can't really improvise blocking, while attached to a tripod, so I decided take a step that's rather unusual for me, and go 100% handheld. I figured I could get away with it, cuz we were making a "gritty crime drama", or at least a send-up of one. :D

I love it!
I will not say anything about the sound and the fact that you should have introduced the two male characters earlier in the film. Only because I loved the story!

Pretty cool. It made more sense the second time I saw it. First I kept thinking why is the bad guy gay and what is the guy doing in the sink. The voice of the bad guy is what threw me off. Ha...

I would be tempted to edit this film down some more to see if it gets better. But overall great job. Loved the music you had too. I liked the plot. The lead actress was good. I think you should use her in more films.

Last edited:
Very nice. Definitely makes me want to do the 48HFP next year. I wanted to do it this year, but found out about the one in my area less than a week before it was scheduled (and didn't have a camera at that point).

Very excellent, all around. I was particularly impressed with the writing. Above and beyond what I expect from a 48 hour film! And having actors with the chops to pull it off so well. Great job!

It was fun. It's also the kind of thing you can turn into a series. A little more planning, better sound and you've got something, because most of the other pieces are in place already. Do one a month.

I know how fast it all has to happen, but couldn't you have found better rooms for the interior? The bounce was unreal.
facepalm.gif

This is when lavs are great to have (yeah, I know, I know... $$$).

It was good, I liked it.

Thanks again, for the kind words, everybody! :)

Steve, the officer in charge, in this film, is played by Brian Gartland, aka "Pork Rind", in "Antihero". The insane bad guy in this film is played by Joe Carlson, aka "Weezie", in "Antihero". Both of them are a true joy to work with; they both take their craft very seriously, but have fun, and make excellent creative contributions. And no, this is my third 48.

Alcove, for what it's worth, this audio is better than what I've done before. I really, really wish I knew a sound guy who'd join my small productions. I do my best, on my own, but it's definitely not my forte. Thanks for the advice on the lavs; I'll definitely remember that (on future productions, rentals shouldn't be too expensive, I can't imagine). :)

Murdock, you should've heard the audience's reaction to the jelly/jam joke -- their reaction was hilarious! Only a small handful of people got it (or thought it was funny), immediately. But then, over the next 30 seconds, you could hear a cacophony of delayed outbursts. Overheard in the seat behind me, "it's because he would have an easy time jamming his...". This was overheard from the same people who said, "What's with all the hair dryers?!" (the hair dryer was the required prop).

I do my best, on my own, but it's definitely not my forte.

Couldn't you find a room with carpets and lots of furniture? You needed someplace with carpets, big stuffed couches and chairs, bookcases and lots of brick-a-brack to help defeat standing waves and soak up the bounce.

Again, I know that time is a huge factor when participating in the 48HFP, but plant mics and anything else you can come up with can be a big help.

Just a suggestion, but keeping the "cops" in cars limits the actors mobility and means you have to get in close with the on-camera mic, so you'll get better audio. The two cops could be in the front seat arguing, the partner gets in the back with the coffee, for example.

I liked it, reminded me of Reno 911, one of my favorite shows. I like the camera work a lot, the way you did reveals and moved through 3d space. Alcove is right, the audio hurt you, even with headphones, bad guy was unintelligible. Did you have just an on-cam shotgun?

Couldn't you find a room with carpets and lots of furniture? You needed someplace with carpets, big stuffed couches and chairs, bookcases and lots of brick-a-brack to help defeat standing waves and soak up the bounce.

Again, I know that time is a huge factor when participating in the 48HFP, but plant mics and anything else you can come up with can be a big help.

Just a suggestion, but keeping the "cops" in cars limits the actors mobility and means you have to get in close with the on-camera mic, so you'll get better audio. The two cops could be in the front seat arguing, the partner gets in the back with the coffee, for example.

That was a room with a carpet, lots of furniture, and shelves on the wall. Then we gutted it, as a creative choice. Those nasty holes in the wall were a result of us literally tearing out fixtures, and that's exactly how I wanted it. I always appreciate your advice, though, and I especially like your thoughts on placing people in cars, when resources are limited.

Brianluce, we had an external shotgun, with an H4n.

Fun film, Cracker! Definitely some opps to use this as a springboard for other episodes with the characters. Clever camera work and wordplay. Only thought would be to keep future films (here we are planning more of these for you ;) around 5 minutes? Just a thought. Cheers.

I'm wanting to watch this, but it won't load up-it's prolly on my end, I'm using wi-fi and sometimes its SLOW...hopefully it will load quicker later! I do want to see this!

Slow load here too. Vimeo is a killer for me.

While I don't care for credits at the beginning of shorts, you did have a catchy enough tune and interesting images to keep me interested in the credits -- a rarity! But alas, I didn't get beyond the 1:28 minute mark after waiting 5 minutes for it to load up to that point.

Back