View Full Version : Filming Lens for Canon 550d

Enaver
08-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Hey everyone,

Currently i have a 50mm f1.8 for my Canon 550d. Makes it really hard to film as it automatically zooms in loads.

Im looking for a good lens for a price around 100-300. Will be used for short films. Just need something which is a good general lens.

Cheers

SinEater
08-05-2011, 05:19 AM
I don't completely understand. It's a prime lens, so it doesn't zoom. Do you mean the field of view is too narrow? Try a wider lens, something like a 20mm or 25mm.

Enaver
08-05-2011, 05:50 AM
I don't completely understand. It's a prime lens, so it doesn't zoom. Do you mean the field of view is too narrow? Try a wider lens, something like a 20mm or 25mm.

Sorry i dont know the correct word as my knowledge of lenses is terrible.

I just find i have to get really really far back to get everyone into shot.

Is there any that you would recommend?

TheOpusFuller
08-05-2011, 08:17 AM
You are talking about the 'Field of View' when you mention you can't get all the people in the shot.

A lot of people buy 3 prime lenses

a 20mm or 25mm like Sin mentions. This will give you a wide field of view where you will be able to capture everyone in the frame.

You already have a 50mm

and something like an 85mm lens.

This will give you a nice selection of shots.

Phil_UK
08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Well, your 50mm acts as a 80mm, because you have a crop sensor camera, which "magnifies" every lens, time 1.6.

So, I am sure, everyone said, get a 50mm, because thats the most natural to your eye. 50mm should always be your standard focal length!..
The 50mm lens is designed for a FULL-Frame Camera though.

Because you want your standard lens, you want to get something like a 35mm.
I find, that the Samyang 35mm F1.4 is a brilliant lens! It is probably the best lens on a budget and it will run you about 350.

I have made the same experience with the 50mm F1.8, and switched over to the Samyang 35mm and its great!

Go for it!

Enaver
08-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks alot everyone :)

You all easily solved my problem. Next pay check i shall be getting a new lens. Seems like the Samyang 35mm its pretty good after looking at some stuff.

Cheers guys/girls

Adam Harness
08-05-2011, 05:29 PM

You all easily solved my problem. Next pay check i shall be getting a new lens. Seems like the Samyang 35mm its pretty good after looking at some stuff.

Cheers guys/girls

Yeah I also looked at Phil_UK's Vimeo haha ^_^ seems like a neat lens

Ernest Worthing
08-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Cheers guys/girls

Check out 24mm, 28mm and 35mm. See which one seems have the kind of field of view u want. Im sure the 35 looks great right now compared to ur 50 but u may find 28 is even better suited for ur needs.

Basically, im just saying do ur research and homework b4 buying lenses.