• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch I'd love to get feedback on my film

Wow, really liked it.

Production design and cinematography was especially good. Interesting to see a female DoP in the credits.

Concept worked well too - so often short films try to tell too much or too little - this was pitched just right.

Two minor criticisms:
1) the acting at the beginning was a little shaky... maybe a longer rehearsal time needed.
2) IMO there was no need for the two final cuts in on the red jumper as I felt the wide was a stronger composition.

Smith

Overall, I really liked this!

I had mixed feelings about the ending though, but I maybe I'm not getting the message.

Anyways good sound and good lighting. I can definitely tell you put a lot of work into this.

TKD

I really liked the atmosphere you created, although I'll agree I think the performances from the actors could have been better. But the cinematography was really good, and overall I was impressed with the whole thing, nice one :)

This reminds me of an episode of Tales From the Dark Side. The 80's show not the earlier one. :)

I thought it was nice.

This reminds me of an episode of Tales From the Dark Side. The 80's show not the earlier one. :)

I thought it was nice.
I'll have to check that out. What about my film reminded you of it? Was it the photography/music/acting/story?
Thanks for the compliment :)

Ahhh perhaps i should read next time. Very good movie, Thumbs up! And that guy would make a good Phillip Seymour Hoffman double.
No worries, and I hope I didn't sound to snippy with my response earlier. Didn't intend that, but reading it now I feel as if I sounded that way.

Thanks for the compliment! And you wouldn't believe how many times I've heard people compare my actor to Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I really liked the atmosphere you created, although I'll agree I think the performances from the actors could have been better. But the cinematography was really good, and overall I was impressed with the whole thing, nice one :)

I was really happy with the cinematography. Out of curiosity, what was it about the acting that you didn't like?

Hey to TheKoreandonut
I saw your trailer (you said you wanted feedback on your film, but all I could find was a trailer)
I thought there was some promising looking footage (what camera did you use?) but I didn't get any idea of what the story was from the trailer. That's not necessarily a bad thing (watch the trailer to Alien, one of the best ever made, and you will have no idea what the film's about except it has to do with an alien)

I thought some of the sound was a bit raw- you obviously used on camera sound. You could make their dialogue a lot clearer by doing some ADR work.

That's my thoughts on your film.

Hopefully some other people will have thoughts on mine.

Overall I think it was a great short film. Looked great, sound was great, I thihk the acting was good, the girl was good, not the best child actor I have seen but definitely not the worst. Not sure about the bird did look a little too claymation for me, but since it was only seen briefly I think it didn't distract from the overall mood of the scene. Those are my thoughts, good work!

I quite liked it! Loved the red hood too, felt like it was going to be some sort of variation on the Little Red Riding Hood - which I guess it was (girl sent to a family home through the forest by herself, except this time it's a bird and not a wolf, and the girl loses).

It felt like... a more professional and slightly more grown up version of an episode of Goosebumps :) Those were the days... Well done!

This was extremely well done. The best part about it was the overall look.

Criticisms I'd have are just a few:

Some of the acting was spot on, and other parts weren't.

The biggest acting problem was there was no suspense in the story he told. He never really wavered once he got that "Spooky" voice going. Also, the story could have been shorter.

The little girl was very good for a youngster. Her banging on the door was pretty bad.

Story wise it was solid, unless you give it any thought. Why would someone let a girl that young walk home alone?

Why did she take the egg?

Why didn't the old man hear her banging on the door?

While it might not seem it from my criticisms, overall it's a great job.

What camera did you use? It looked beautiful.

This was extremely well done. The best part about it was the overall look.

Criticisms I'd have are just a few:

Some of the acting was spot on, and other parts weren't.

The biggest acting problem was there was no suspense in the story he told. He never really wavered once he got that "Spooky" voice going. Also, the story could have been shorter.

The little girl was very good for a youngster. Her banging on the door was pretty bad.

Story wise it was solid, unless you give it any thought. Why would someone let a girl that young walk home alone?

Why did she take the egg?

Why didn't the old man hear her banging on the door?

While it might not seem it from my criticisms, overall it's a great job.

What camera did you use? It looked beautiful.

Haha, I like that comment, "Story wise it was solid, unless you give it any thought." That's just critical review gold. Yeah, I was definitely treating it more allegorically rather than as a literal happening. Because if this really happened, then grandpa was a dick.

She took the egg as a defense mechanism, as in, "You can't eat me, giant bird, because I have your baby and will hurt it if you try anything." Though, I don't think that came across very well in the film

We filmed it on a Canon T2i

I quite liked it! Loved the red hood too, felt like it was going to be some sort of variation on the Little Red Riding Hood - which I guess it was (girl sent to a family home through the forest by herself, except this time it's a bird and not a wolf, and the girl loses).

It felt like... a more professional and slightly more grown up version of an episode of Goosebumps :) Those were the days... Well done!

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, we were definitely going for Little Red Riding Hood mixed with the village.

Overall I think it was a great short film. Looked great, sound was great, I thihk the acting was good, the girl was good, not the best child actor I have seen but definitely not the worst. Not sure about the bird did look a little too claymation for me, but since it was only seen briefly I think it didn't distract from the overall mood of the scene. Those are my thoughts, good work!

Hey thanks! Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with the way the bird itself turned out, but it was fun to do and was a tremendous learning experience.

I had a clay sculpture made of the head and the feet. Within the clay sculpture we had a metal wireframe. We then took a series of still pictures of the model in which we would gradually move the model.
We shot that in front of a greenscreen and the used the woods as a back plate.
The shot of the feet, I had made a miniature model of some bushes and dirt for the feet to interact with. You can see one of the toes scratching the dirt- I thought that gave a good sense of placing the model into the frame.

I liked it a lot, good structure and engaging story.

The acting was uneven, the kid was adorable and sometimes hit the right beat, other times seemed wooden.

Favorite thing was the lighting, how'd you light those night scenes? what gear?

Least favorite thing -- the bird, broke the suspension of disbelief, I wobbled at the bird feet, then when you showed the head, I was outside the movie. How about just an extreme closeup of the evil bird's eye? On a related note, that giant egg would be pretty heavy wouldn't it? She carried it like it was empty. Good looking egg btw.

Good movie though, and since a lot of us didn't like the bird vfx, you might consider fixing that since it's a common criticism -- probably some truth in it.

Last edited:
I think to get over the whole "the bird looked too unnatural / fake", a shot of the bird's shadow looming over the girl as she looks up in fear would have done better. Possibly even from the bird's perspective, and a quick zoom on the girl screaming as it pecks the peck of dooooom.

Back