• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch [Trailer] Crowdfunded Superhero Feature Avery and Pete

Okay, got the trailer tweaked a bit and posting it up here. I did before, but took down the post for a bit.

Feel comfortable posting it now.

It's called AVERY AND PETE: SUPERSEEDS and follows the title-characters on their first adventure and run-in with power-bestowing pills.

I've come away from calling it Sci-Fi and more so calling it Fantasy? I guess.

www.superseedsmovie.com -- takes you right to the trailer

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2099062204/superseeds-a-super-powered-action-comedy - Kickstarter where we raised just over 17.5K​

All comments welcome. I'm going to have to cut another one soon, so I'll take those into account as well when going into the next version.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
Argh! This is awesome. What a great team, and what great production value and casting on a limited budget.

Huzzah! How and where can I apply to work with this team. I just moved out to LA, and I'd love to get on the team! Seriously.

Good luck with this. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

ps. Rainfall Films isn't the main company right? It's the Vfx house correct?

Last edited:
Argh! This is awesome. What a great team, and what great production value and casting on a limited budget.

Huzzah! How and where can I apply to work with this team. I just moved out to LA, and I'd love to get on the team! Seriously.

Good luck with this. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

ps. Rainfall Films isn't the main company right? It's the Vfx house correct?

Well thanks, Michael.

The casting part was a stressful one, hearing another actor say that means alot.

Actually, Rainfall Films is a company I am a part of and we are all inclusive. There are fOur founders that work together and we are LA based. If you PM me with your contact info and email I'll invite you to the next casting call.

DUDE!!! I LOVE IT!!!

Congrats on getting the funding, and congrats on pulling this all together. The trailer looks great. Is it still in post? Completely finished?

As for the genre, I'd call it neither Fantasy or Sci-Fi. Looks more like Stoner Comedy, with elements of Superhero.

That is beautiful. What is better than beautiful is that you reached your fundraising goal. Very few people can say that. Congratulations. Looks like you have a kick ass project.

Kholi, once again, congratulations. I got a very, very un-sexy question for you man. How did the production structure work. Who owns the film?

thanks
aveek

This looks like it will be a blast!

I caught your campaign just as it was ending. I'd love to hear more (in the appropriate thread) about your Crowdfunding endeavor.

DUDE!!! I LOVE IT!!!

Congrats on getting the funding, and congrats on pulling this all together. The trailer looks great. Is it still in post? Completely finished?

As for the genre, I'd call it neither Fantasy or Sci-Fi. Looks more like Stoner Comedy, with elements of Superhero.

We're still in post. The next two features that I'm working on have very VERY little (augmenting and complimentary) post visual effects because of that very reason. Just takes a while to complete effects even when they aren't up to the multi-million dollar standard. Then we've got to go through a 5.1 Mix and M&E...

Process.

Since you only see one person smoke the entire movie (and you really don't see that, you just see the smoke), we've pitched it as Slacker, more so than Stoner. But whatever works in the end! Haha

THanks for watching.

Kholi, once again, congratulations. I got a very, very un-sexy question for you man. How did the production structure work. Who owns the film?

thanks
aveek

Haha, it's a valid question: the ownership of the movie is in pieces. Because the budget was so extremely low we had to break up portions of said ownership amongst a few people who were to help us make it possible. Most of the movie (and all creative rights) are owned by myself and producer, though.

The Kickstarter throw ins are pledges to make it happen, so we have to deliver Kickstarter-only DVDs when we're all said and done to those people.

As far as Production Structure, do you mean crew etc? If so, then most of the time it was maybe a crew of five including myself, and then for two big days (the last fight) we had about ten people or so to help out.

Some of the days it was just myself, my producer, an audio guy and make-up, so I'd have to setup lights etc and direct, and shoot. Crazy stuff, but it's fun regardless.

Three things that you probably never want to go without: Good audio guy with decent gear, Make-up for your talent (so that they feel comfortable in front of the camera), and a producer who can handle small tasks like making sure food's around, etc. Even though it's still hard with just those bare essentials, it's better than not having them at all.

Hope that answered it, but if there's anything else feel free to inquire! I'm a fairly open book. xD

Last edited:
This looks like it will be a blast!

I caught your campaign just as it was ending. I'd love to hear more (in the appropriate thread) about your Crowdfunding endeavor.

I'll re-post this wherever you think it fits, but honestly you're giving people the right advice around here about crowdfunding. It's not brain surgery, but it does require a little research and development before you can commit to it.

The major thing that you have to know is that friends and family only go so far, and you really need the help of a network to push your campaign above and beyond. 17.5K is really chump change in comparison to some of the narrative Kickstarter campaigns that have been going.

My friend Zak Forsman's campaign started less than a week ago, his operation's aiming for 30K in 36 days and in less than 7 days he's already at 13.5K+. It's because he knows so many people and interacts with the community alot.

One of my main goals is to begin networking more, not just for contacts but to learn about what other people are doing and to help support filmmakers who's work I really like. Kinda like what you're doing with the sticky here on IndieTalk.

So that, in addition to your advice, is what people should be following when going into a Kickstarter.

Perfect, looks absolutely great. Checked out your site as well, fantastic work.

This looks completely awesome! I love this kind of stuff!

Looks awsome i cant wait to see it. Is it going to be streamed or dvds?

Good stuff, Kholi. Looks very professional.

xD Thanks much.

Does anyone think it could run shorter? Any feedback at all's welcomed. Bad or good. I want to have a lot of it when I go back to the 1:30.

On DVD: we've got some distribution companies interested after the trailer release and are awaiting screeners to send out. So, I'm not sure where it'll go, but the likely hood is streaming (iTunes) and DVD/BluRay.

We've got a few backup plans already, with the budget being so low we can afford to try out different things.

I thought that was excellent, genuinely one of the best indie trailers I've seen. I can actually imagine seeing that trailer in the cinema before the main feature, and to be honest I'd probably say to whoever I'm with that it looks great and we should go see it! I realise you've heard a lot of similar comments, so I'll just sign off with a huge congratulations, both for your successful funding campaign and for making what looks to be a really impressive film!

As for critiques on the trailer.

If this is an "Extended Trailer". It's right on the nose. It gives a more indepth offering of the story/characters.

However, if this is a normal trailer. One of which is to gain interest in the movie from an era infamous for impatience/without any prior release of a trailer. I'd have to say it needs to be short and sweet. It needs to PUNCH. You have all the footage there, you just need to tighten the strings.

The score would have to BITE more from the get-go. Something with a beat, something that moves with the tightened, punchy action. - The gamer theme-tune works for now (In the extended) but it has to reflect the action/pacing, and if it is shortened/faster, it will fail to do so.

The beginning unravelling of how it is they lost their jobs could be cut. It isn't necessary in the overview of a shorter trailer. (Extended fine, short not-so-much)

There's a few lines of dialogue that I believe could be lost.

--

I'll update later. The trailer doesn't seem to be loading. :)

curious, how did you (assuming you did) secure rights to use a cover of "war pigs" in the movie?

The song isn't actually in the movie.

The version you're hearing is a remix by Girl Talk and is under a CC license, which we have to place to use it for non profit exhibition. Another thing you want to have is legal on your side. We have an entertainment lawyer handling all of the tough stuff.

Takes a load off.

In addition to that, there really aren't any smoke and mirrors prohibiting no names from using known music. Get an EL to handle it for you, they're good at that stuff.

Back