• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Jumpin' on High - 48 Hour Film Project submission

The guy who narrated sounded a bit too posh, in my opinion, even though that's what his character basically is. It just didn't sound too fitting. The film in general could have done with some background music throughout.

Other than that, I thought it was done pretty well :) The only other thing I'd mention is that even though you made a point of certain comedic traits they have in their Guy-Ritchie-esque introduction shots, you didn't really touch on them that much with the actual characters. They just seemed a bit too subtle in their acting, but perhaps you should have done some little things to further focus on their different lifestyles - like having the guy who played a lot of Minecraft playing on his phone throughout the interview, or the "hothead of the year guy" perhaps telling a story about how he inspires people as opposed to what inspired him.

skip-rope sucks, rollerblading and cycle for the win!

Camera shakiness boarded from being artsy to just plain bad, you shouldn't be pushing it like that, but good otherwise.

As the guy who edited this, I'll chime in: with a max running time of 7 minutes, a lot of things were compressed (like the character cards) or completely dropped (like a lot of the footage which would have established who each character was) in favor of trying to tell a complete story for Jimmy. I myself loved the talking heads and could've filled the whole running time with nothing but that, excluding the whole competition part :v

With regards to the camera-shaking, ketchup was the DoP and I think most of it is genuine. We went without a steadicam rig for the sake of time.

I liked the film, but you should really get to making a steadicam rig soon so that the next time you get to a project like this you'll have it ready. There are plenty of DIY tutorials on YouTube that show you how to make one for cheap - I especially like this one by IndyMogul.

With regards to the camera-shaking, ketchup was the DoP and I think most of it is genuine. We went without a steadicam rig for the sake of time.
It was. I was shooting handheld, and fussing with audio at the same time, as our audio guy couldn't make it this weekend. My shoulder mount rig wouldn't have worked well with the way I had our audio recorder rigged up, and a tripod wouldn't have fit the mockumentary format very well, so handheld it was.

EDIT: ThatGuyFromThatPlace: I do have a DIY shoulder mount rig that I normally use (picture), but because I was also doing audio this weekend, everything wouldn't have lined up like it usually does, and therefore using it was impractical.

Last edited:
Back