Best film festivals for new filmmakers?

I am a young aspiring filmmaker currently in-production of my debut feature, 'Seems Like Teen Spirit'. However, once I have completed the film, I would like to send it out to film festivals as I believe (rightly or wrongly?!) it will be the best way of beginning my potential career as a director by getting my work seen and by making contacts.

I realise that most festivals have a high ratio of rejected to accepted films, so I was wondering what would be the best film festival to enter (preferably cheaply) that is easy enough to get into, but also allows me to make contacts in the industry.

Any advice, personal views and experiences, particularly when you were starting out, would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

While I'm sure there are a few "beginners only" festivals, the fact of the matter is you won't be making contacts in the industry there.

There are no shortcuts to the top. Its a brutal and cuthroat climb. You gotta compete with the "big boys" if you want to get anywhere in the business.

Just make the best possible film you can and submit away!

Good luck.

You can go to "Withoutabox" for a list of festivals. Some are free. You might want to check some smaller ones and/or maybe some just starting. Also, check in yourf area. There could be film groups holding free screenings so you can get some input.

I am a young aspiring filmmaker currently in-production of my debut feature, 'Seems Like Teen Spirit'. However, once I have completed the film, I would like to send it out to film festivals as I believe (rightly or wrongly?!) it will be the best way of beginning my potential career as a director by getting my work seen and by making contacts.

I realise that most festivals have a high ratio of rejected to accepted films, so I was wondering what would be the best film festival to enter (preferably cheaply) that is easy enough to get into, but also allows me to make contacts in the industry.

Any advice, personal views and experiences, particularly when you were starting out, would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Burnsy,

At this point in your career, any and all exposure and contacts will be a plus. There are in fact festivals that cater to first time filmmakers, one that comes to mind was "First Look Student Film Festival" although that has now been merged with Starz Denver, but there are others out there. Many festivals also have "first film" categories. But really, if your film is good, it doesn't need to compete with other first timers, it should be able to stand on its own.

Just choose fests local that have played films like yours and see how you do and expand from there.

Has anyone here ever done the Chicago international film fest? i'm considering sending in a film next year since i live in Chicago. im also wondering how hard it is to get in.

Back