• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Did stand up for my first time...though you guys may enjoy.

That was pretty good, man! :lol:

Btw, did you really get a gig with Big & Tall, or was that just part of the setup?

Got a Funny vote for sure. :yes:

Thanks guys! Haha no I didn't book big and tall but I do a lot of commercial work...always thought it would be funny if I had booked a big and tall or a diet pill.

Major props to you for getting up there. Stand up is SCARY.:) There are a couple tings that stood out to me. And please take all of this as friendly suggestion, not criticism. Stand up is hard. Much respect.

1. I would replace "intuitive"@ 2:46 with something like, "...and those are things that don't come naturally to a fat man"(makes funny face and shrugs shoulders w/ IDK motion of the hands) My point being, don't make em think of what intuitive means.

2. If you can't remember the routine, don't say "uh". I don't mean when you use "uh" for comedic effect. I mean, when you are gathering your thoughts and trying to remember the next line. Just don't say anything thing. Gaze confidently over the audience. Like @ 3:38. You say,"I've, heh uh, I've been" Why not pause for a second, recoupe and proceed. Or even drag that first "IIIIIII've been.

3. You are pacing. I know you're nervous, but it must be controled. "move with a purpose" You want the movement and the pauses in your movement to have meaning. (walking)"and I'm setting up the joke"(stop, slight turn to the audience) Deliver. :) Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmjGz4PS6sI

Those were the biggest things I saw, Again, way to go!! I thought you were very good for a first outing.

Good work, Bez. I always give it up for anyone who can get on stage and perform like that, especially since it was your first time. Keep at it!

haha...did you give me a link to public speaking on youtube? Public speaking and stand up are on two different planes my friend although I see where you are coming from. I understand the mechanics but I'm a working actor that has never done standup prior to the video you just watched. Literally that was my first time on stage as a standup. I appreciate your caring but I'm aware of any shortcomings and I'm working those kinks out already. Oh and I was pacing so I could look back at my set list. I'd get away from it and realize..."Sh*t, you aren't 100% off your material yet...stay close" ;)

PS: From this I got the call to the to the perform at the Comedy Store Main Stage...From my standup at the main stage I got a great theatrical agent offer. Since then I've been asked to do several main stages around hollywood. I have a ton to learn...but I think I'm on the right path.

Last edited:
Thats great!! Like I said, I thought it was really good for your first time. I put the public speaking link cause I used to do extemporaneous speaking. In this you pull a subject and have 30 minutes to prepare for a 7 minute speach. The "abc" of speach giving, could help you to memorize your material and give it a stage "routine.??? Just a thought. I know it helped me get speaches down in 30 minutes.

Best of luck to you.

Very nice! It's nice to see new comedians that actually have a lot of confidence on stage, because nowadays you see too many new comedians failing because they underestimate the pressure they're under from the audience.

I particularly liked the joke about Sebastian the crab and sleep eating :) Very funny!

It was pretty funny. I voted for you on Funny or Die. I liked your bit about being a good looking Fat Guy it was funny. I liked the drive thru part. Great start for your comedy career. Keep it up. I think you got a good thing going. Maybe we will see you on comedy central soon.

Very nice! It's nice to see new comedians that actually have a lot of confidence on stage, because nowadays you see too many new comedians failing because they underestimate the pressure they're under from the audience.

I particularly liked the joke about Sebastian the crab and sleep eating :) Very funny!

Thanks! I have a bit of an advantage being an actor with a ton of improv experience. Still...it ain't easy. Its funny because however you are on stage is exactly how the audience is...if you're nervous, they are nervous. If you're happy and having a good time...they'll be doing the same.

Nice set, congrats - for a first time, that's really strong and together.

If you don't mind some feedback from a former comic, here are the things I would offer up to you as advice, or to consider...

I think you would start off a little more strongly if you went straight for the "Chris O'Donnel with an eating disorder" bit (and I didn't focus enough to memorize the bits, so sorry if I get anything wrong). When you hit the stage, if you give them a way to i.d. you immediately, showcasing the self-deprecating style you're using and with a piece that strong, you'll have them, faster. Your "Big & Tall" bit works, but I think re-arranging the pieces would be stronger.

You will occasionally contradict the premise you just laid down - for example, I think all your initial stuff is "how it's great to be a good-looking fat guy". Then, around 2 and a half minutes in, you say, "it's not great being a fat guy, 'cause the only place you get hit on is the drive through". I think you could easily re-word that bit a little and make it another positive for being a good-looking fat guy, and it wouldn't be one bit that suddenly denies the previous 2 1/2 minutes. Make sense?

Anything you tell people on stage is real. So, when you mention being hit on and looking at girls at the gym and then mention your wife, you'll upset some of the female audience members. Just a heads up.

Some of the transitions are a little wordy. You can just pause and go into another bit, especially when your whole act has sort of a theme to it, as you do. In the transitions, you throw out a few fucks and shits for comedic effect. Lose that habit, quickly. If you want to continue comedy and eventually get on TV doing a set (a reasonable goal for comics), you won't be able to swear. It's a dangerous crutch to get into the habit of using, because if you start to write bits or segues that only work with a swear word thrown in as an adjective or punchline, you'll have a hard time making the TV transition, when the time comes.

I think you went with a bit of an esoteric joke as a closer. I see what you were going for, and where it called back to the previous bits, but I think you could watch this set and pick a stronger closing bit.

Those are all meant as friendly observations and suggestions, and when it comes down to it, it's your act. You did a really good job with what you prepared your first time out. That's no small feat, so, way to go, and welcome to comedy.

gelder

Back