GL2/XM2 (With Extras) VS Rebel t2i: Beginners Camera.

Sorry if I've been asking many questions lately I just want to be 100% before I take the plunge. Whats your opinion indietalk?

If I go with the Rebel, I'm future safe. But if I do go with it I'll have to buy a lot of extras because at the moment I have next to nothing as well as film equipment goes.

But on the other hand, if I go with the XM2, people would take me more seriously due to the size of the camera and I wouldn't have to buy an external recorder, I could plug a boom mic right in.

I'm 14, also. So I've many years to learn the ropes. What do you think I should go with?

I just made the switch - just got rid of my GL2 and all it's fixin's and I now have a Canon 60D. I started out like you by asking questions on here and I did get a bunch of help, but it could be confusing at times as you will also be flooded with 60D vs GH2 vs T2i vs T3i vs something else arguments. Take what you can from here (and there is a lot of good stuff) but you will need to do more research to really appreciate the paradigm shift of this change.

For free research, check out the blogs for Shane Hurlbut, ASC, Vincent Laforet and Philip Bloom for starters - these are some big names with vast experience behind the DSLR Cinema movement. Be very sure to study the principles shared by these guys and don't get caught up in the prices of the "type of equipment" they use - these guys are high end users and the prices of what they use will scare you away if that's all you focus on. Check out their body of work on Vimeo to appreciate what can be achieved with this technology.

For paid research, if you have a few bucks check out Kurt Lancaster's DSLR Cinema book (I got mine from Amazon). This is the book that helped me make the switch as it covers the principles of DSLR cinema and helps with a blue print that considers the "budget" movie maker's, well, budget. This book was a great read too.

There is more investment in this technology as now you will be buying more stuff to make great DSLR movies. I am new to this world myself, but as I build my arsenal I have come to recognize the need for lenses (primes vs. zooms - yeah whole other thread), follow-focus, view finders, sliders, HD monitors, etc. This is all doable as with a bit of searching you can find quality affordable stuff for the entry level movie maker. One more thing you must also consider, which usually get's missed because of the focus on the tech and prices, is the education involved. Camcorders did a lot of the work for us. I find DSLRs to be more manual, which I enjoy but you have to do more stuff now and understand more concepts better then before. Understanding exposure, histograms, latitude, depth of field (calculators - yeah there's an app for that, LOL), lens choice, picture style, recording sound separately and synching in post, color, etc is very important with DSLRs. Because of the file format of these cameras the mantra is get it as close to your goal, you vision, in camera because there's not much wiggle room in post. It's exciting stuff that can be learned and is quite doable.

Just my 2 pennies. Oh and back to something you said - form factor. The form of DSLRs is limiting and restrictive as these cameras are primarily designed for photography - so there's an added expense there to make them mobile. I just use my tripod for now as I build my tool set. However, that form factor has it's advantages too as most people still don't recognize these cameras as video machines. You mentioned people taking you more seriously. Ha! Unless you have a client who is paying you money for your work and is adamant about you shoot their stuff on a Red One, what do you care? The names I threw at you up top do professional paying work with these types of cameras (well higher end, but you get my point). Dude your a 14 year old movie maker - that makes you cool alrady. What do you care what people think of the tools you use for your art? At the end of the day whether you go with a GL2 or GH2, these things are just tools. Your focus and your energy should be spent on how to make magic with what you've got.

You're on your way. Good luck.

I just made the switch - just got rid of my GL2 and all it's fixin's and I now have a Canon 60D. I started out like you by asking questions on here and I did get a bunch of help, but it could be confusing at times as you will also be flooded with 60D vs GH2 vs T2i vs T3i vs something else arguments. Take what you can from here (and there is a lot of good stuff) but you will need to do more research to really appreciate the paradigm shift of this change.

For free research, check out the blogs for Shane Hurlbut, ASC, Vincent Laforet and Philip Bloom for starters - these are some big names with vast experience behind the DSLR Cinema movement. Be very sure to study the principles shared by these guys and don't get caught up in the prices of the "type of equipment" they use - these guys are high end users and the prices of what they use will scare you away if that's all you focus on. Check out their body of work on Vimeo to appreciate what can be achieved with this technology.

For paid research, if you have a few bucks check out Kurt Lancaster's DSLR Cinema book (I got mine from Amazon). This is the book that helped me make the switch as it covers the principles of DSLR cinema and helps with a blue print that considers the "budget" movie maker's, well, budget. This book was a great read too.

There is more investment in this technology as now you will be buying more stuff to make great DSLR movies. I am new to this world myself, but as I build my arsenal I have come to recognize the need for lenses (primes vs. zooms - yeah whole other thread), follow-focus, view finders, sliders, HD monitors, etc. This is all doable as with a bit of searching you can find quality affordable stuff for the entry level movie maker. One more thing you must also consider, which usually get's missed because of the focus on the tech and prices, is the education involved. Camcorders did a lot of the work for us. I find DSLRs to be more manual, which I enjoy but you have to do more stuff now and understand more concepts better then before. Understanding exposure, histograms, latitude, depth of field (calculators - yeah there's an app for that, LOL), lens choice, picture style, recording sound separately and synching in post, color, etc is very important with DSLRs. Because of the file format of these cameras the mantra is get it as close to your goal, you vision, in camera because there's not much wiggle room in post. It's exciting stuff that can be learned and is quite doable.

Just my 2 pennies. Oh and back to something you said - form factor. The form of DSLRs is limiting and restrictive as these cameras are primarily designed for photography - so there's an added expense there to make them mobile. I just use my tripod for now as I build my tool set. However, that form factor has it's advantages too as most people still don't recognize these cameras as video machines. You mentioned people taking you more seriously. Ha! Unless you have a client who is paying you money for your work and is adamant about you shoot their stuff on a Red One, what do you care? The names I threw at you up top do professional paying work with these types of cameras (well higher end, but you get my point). Dude your a 14 year old movie maker - that makes you cool already. What do you care what people think of the tools you use for your art? At the end of the day whether you go with a GL2 or GH2, these things are just tools. Your focus and your energy should be spent on how to make magic with what you've got.

You're on your way. Good luck.

Thanks a heap, that was a really helpful post. My biggest concern with getting a T2i is that I won't have much money left over for necessary equipment you must have to make a short. I'm just learning so for now I might just stick with the GL2.

You're welcome, Rainbow. You do what you gotta do but remember also to be versatile and current. Stay up on the newer technologies so that you can make a seamless transition to DSLRs or whatever new thing comes along later down the road. You have plenty of time, dude, so no rush. Now that you have chosen your tool attack the craft - learn about stories and effective story telling. This is key because at the end of it all the sharpest, best sounding piece of junk movie is just that - a good looking bad movie with a bad story at the heart of it. Your job now is to learn how to tell great stories through the medium of video (and lighting, sound, editing, etc.). You're 14, brother, you've got time.

Have fun with it. Go out and do the business. Looking forward to seeing something from you one of these days. Good luck.

There is a lot to be said for going with a DSLR at your age. Learning the principles of photography by taking stills will pay dividends for the rest of your life and the ability to shoot video is an added bonus. Figuring out the weaknesses of DSLR's for video will also make you a more educated consumer when you upgrade to a better video camera.

I can't say a Rebel is futureproof, but an XM2 is definitively history. It's a great camera, but outdated Standerd Defenition tapebased technology.
Good for DVD, but if you want to put things on the web, you end up with 640X360 deinterlaced footage.
So camerasize is not most important, lol.

I still have the Canon XM2 lying around. I got in 2004, but haven't used it since I went HD (with an EX1R).

The GL2 is still a decent camera (I was hard on it in the other thread), just do NOT overpay for one. People are dumping them (and XL2, and XL1) like crazy right now because they are totally worthless to "event shooters" who do weddings, etc... Nobody in 2011 is going to hire somebody to shoot their wedding on an SD camera so they have ALL had to upgrade. Drive a hard bargain and get one for peanuts and it'll be a good starter camera for you.

I recently upgraded from a GL2 to a T2i and I am happy I did. I guess it really depends on what type of work you plan to do with the camera. As an earlier poster stated in the event world you really need an HD camera. I think if you are going to do any "professional" work, meaning you are getting paid for your work it would make sense to go with the rebel but for practice and making videos for Youtube, etc. the GL2 would be a good enough camera, you can get one on ebay for less than $500.

If you believe that cameras have souls, I'd grab the xm2.

Or like a couple hd flip cams and a couple digital video recorders, would open up your cinematopigraphical horizons.

I don't recomend the picture cameras for video only purposes. ..!

Back