Panasonic AG-DVX-100

I've heard nothing but praise for the AG-DVX-100, but it was some time ago, at the moment I'm looking for a nice 24fps camera under the 3.5k mark. The AG seems to be a good choice -- but I have no experience so I'm pretty much looking for recommendations for a decent low budget cam -- quality is also a bonus :)

From the word on the street, the DVX100 is the camera to have. I'm going to order one next week. I'm a film shooter by trade, I own an Arri SR 16mm camera package, but realize I have to offer DV too.

Scott

a sample of what DVX100 can do...

Hey guys, I'm a producer here in LA. Here's a link to a short film that we shot with two Panasonic DVX 100. This was part of a national competition out of NY in which we ultimately placed 2nd out of 270 teams globally. Also check out the January 2004 issue of Wired Magazine. There will be a feature story on myself and my team in NY. Thanks...please feel free to PM with any questions regarding this camera. Personally I think it's a steal of a deal if you know how to light it properly. I know commercial shooters that use this as their primary camera and the car dealerships that they work for haven't noticed at all that the commercials changed from a DSR 500 (about 10-15k camera) to this DVX 100. Beautiful depth of field. Great camera.

www.dosgringos.us/movies/elegy.html

Hey Tuscany,

Great little flick. I would suggest you post this in the screening room. I'm sure it would get high marks.

Also, do you have any plans to sell it for distribution? I am a short watching fiend on IFC, Atom Films, and IFILM, and I think your short would do well if you put it out there.

Poke

I recently shot a short film with the DVX100, and aside from image stabilization had no problems at all. Definitely worth every penny. If lit correctly, it does have a film look to it.

el guapo said:
I recently shot a short film with the DVX100, and aside from image stabilization had no problems at all. Definitely worth every penny. If lit correctly, it does have a film look to it.

Can you post a link to it? I'd love to see it.

Poke

We just started editing it. When we're finished, we'll let you know. We're not as technically accomplished as Tuscanny, though.

Does anybody know about lens attachments for the DVX-100?

Just got a DVX100

Got my DVX100 last week but haven't had a chance to play with it much.

Also installed trial versions of editing suites on my toilet-cooled dual athlon machine (a conversation piece and one heck of an editing workstation.)

Now I just need some time to practice shooting and editing...

I just went to the DV expo in L.A., and looked at the DVX100a. The improvements (the best being the improved minimal focal distance) are worth the extra couple hundred dollars it will cost. So if you're looking for a DVX for Christmas, wait until the a model is available (another few weeks). Last week I double shot a commercial with a 50k betacam and the DVX, and the producer went with the DVX version. Need I say more?

I picked up a DVX100 last week. I looked at the new features and felt I could live without them and use the money I saved for accessories. I know the price of the DVX100A is only $200 more, but that's on the list price, so that would have been an extra $1000 above the sales price I paid. The wide screen through the lens add on is better than in the camera 16x9 in the 100A. I am going to miss the slow shutter feature on the new camera, but I do that in post.

Now it's time to shoot something.

Scott

Is the DVX100A going to be THE camera for the next couple of years OR is there a cam in development that will be much better than this one?

Hey Tuscany, I just watched your short. That's great. I went to the Underground Film Festival here in Indy and saw some of the festival winners for that 24hour New York contest you spoke of. I didn't see that one however I think I may have liked it better than the one that actually won.

Pardon my ignorance, but I just looked at the spec of the ag-dvx-100a and it's native fps is 25fps? Is it worth the bother upgrading to the (a) or stay in the slow lane with the original ag-dvx-100?

You must have gotten the specs for the PAL version. As far as I know, the DVX100A shoots at 60i, 30P, 24P and 24P Advanced.

I own a DVX100 and am very happy with it, but need to shoot more with it.

Scott

Panasonic AG DVX 100A

Hi everyone:
My brother and I have written a documentary and want to begin filming. We've been told to get the Panasonic AG DVX 100A at $3,069. The film "28 Days Later" and the new film with Courtney Cox "November" were shot with this camera. However, someone told me you they used an expensive attachment ("PS" Technic mini 35 Relay"?). Do you know anything about this? The attachement supposedly made it more film-like. Can I get away with the regular camera? We are working on a tight budget. Could I buy used or rent? My cell is 248-885-1119 if you can help. Really appreciate it. Thanks, Dave beanstreet @ comcast.net

28 Days Later is one of my all time favorite films. Although i wondered why the film had an aged grainy look. it looked very pale at times and the color seemed off. I dont know anything about this kind of stuff but more of a personal observation. Is this what is called "Color bleeding"?

PS, was Dawn of the Dead filmed with this as well? seemed to have the same grainy quality.

here is the cam and attachment you spoke of

panasonic_mini35-3-04.jpg

source for information http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/0/b20461fb956bf08085256a8400801da2?OpenDocument

Back