• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Short Film - Regional Runner up and Best Cinematography

Hey this was cool, again the cinematography was great, story was pretty good. I felt that the main actors were not right for the parts (age) they were playing and this made it a bit more difficult for me get into it for me. But overall great job, sure the next thing you do will be something to look out for :)

Very nice camera work! The script and acting definitely needed some work though - the plot wasn't exactly the most logical and, as someone else said, the main two actors were a tad too young for their roles.

Congratulations on the award!

wow, i must say that was very well done! the camera work was by far the best. the story was good. the acting worked for it, i mean its the 48 hour film contest, you don't have much time to rehearse. im doing my 48 hour project in 3 weeks.

Pretty good.

Looks like you had fun with a steadicam and crane.

Nice work with the score, as well.

The story needs a bit more tightening up.
It's simple enough to follow, but just paints-by-the-numbers the set up to a fair ending.

Thanks heaps everyone for your comments! :)

Interesting point about the synthesized speech, that's crazy..

And yes, the actors were quite young and the story could have been tightened up - we worked right through the night to get the story done, and were quite worried about it, to the point we almost scrapped the idea when we were shooting it, but fortunately everything came together ok

All the best Ponty301 for your 48 hour!

Thanks Brad902! we've got everything planned out as far as scheduling goes and crew, but what did you do for lighting? It looked like you used natural lights but I could be mistaken.

my groups problem is I'm the only one that has any knowledge of film (directing, editing, producing, sound, even acting), but I have the least amount of knowledge in cinematography. From what I've read here and been told by others who have done this project before, besides a great story, great cinematography will get you noticed at these events. Any tips?

Thanks Brad902! we've got everything planned out as far as scheduling goes and crew, but what did you do for lighting? It looked like you used natural lights but I could be mistaken.

my groups problem is I'm the only one that has any knowledge of film (directing, editing, producing, sound, even acting), but I have the least amount of knowledge in cinematography. From what I've read here and been told by others who have done this project before, besides a great story, great cinematography will get you noticed at these events. Any tips?

Awesome, yeah we used mostly natural lighting, but for most indoor scenes, we used a few softboxes, with 5400K 30W bulbs :) Simple setups, sometimes just used one light to backlight/sidelight some things...honestly don't know much about lighting though!

In terms of camerawork - do you have a steadicam? You could make one (http://littlegreatideas.com/stabilizer/diy/). And what kind of camera do you have?

i'm going to be using my friends t2i and t3i. we don't have a steadicam yet. ive been looking online at some (including the one you posted) and they seem fairly simple to make.

im assuming you used the steadicam for those slow tracking shots of the two detectives in the park.

It was fairly predictable from the first call. What I mean to say is, you could tell a twist was coming. After all, who calls a private dick in an emergancy??? They would call 911 or 211 or whatever. Looked really nice though. The ending scenes seemed under exposed, not dark, as I think was intended. I like it.

Very good! Question though, Im new to filmmaking and I noticed while they were on the bench the 180 degree rule wasnt used as you filmed from all different sides. Do you always have to follow this rule or are there certain exceptions. Or is it more like the 180 degree guide? You can use it if you want but you dont have to?

P.S. reminded me of flight of the conchords :P

Very good! Question though, Im new to filmmaking and I noticed while they were on the bench the 180 degree rule wasnt used as you filmed from all different sides. Do you always have to follow this rule or are there certain exceptions. Or is it more like the 180 degree guide? You can use it if you want but you dont have to?

P.S. reminded me of flight of the conchords :P

Cheers! Yeah, 180 degree rule helps with continuity - that's the idea behind it, you usually try to use it in conversations, so its not disorientating.

But break the rule by all means if you have a reason to!

Ha, Flight of the Conchords is great ;)

Back