• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch No New Notifications - Student Film about Facebook

This past semester for my advanced cinema production class at Ithaca College I had to write and direct a 5-15 minute short fiction film. I wanted to make it about something that my entire generation could relate to... so naturally its about two kids who make a bet to see who can go a week without facebook. I only trusted my friends and I with the acting since its our type of humor, so we might not be the best of actors, but everyone at the screening seemed to like it. Give it a look and let me know what you think, the film itself it only around 11 minutes long, the rest is credits and outtakes. If you like it, great, share it with friends so more people can see it. It was a small production team, so its not perfect, but we had a great time making it and we cant wait to get started on something else in the fall. And since it's aimed at the college audience, there are some thematic elements and lots of language. Think superbad.
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/24900204?color=ff9933" width="398" height="224" frameborder="0"></iframe>
And if that embed doesn't work, here's the link to vimeo: No New Notifications

I thought you did an awsome job with this. The acting was real good with your friends and you. I like the humor and your short. I am a fan of Superbad too. Posted a link to my facebook.

nicely done, pretty funny, and you actually left me wanting more.
One thing, some of the voice overs were a little bit redundant because the characters dialoge explained it right after.
but still nicely done:)

Well done. Nice. I love sh*t like this so much I made my own Facebook movie a few months ago for the Straight8 film thing (and I still haven't seen it, aarrgghhh!).

You need to get your short all over.... Facebook. :)

Great acting, nice shots, and a funny script! The sound quality was pretty good too (and is where most people tend to fall down). Very nice job :)

I especially like how some of the parts in the script that would USUALLY be seen as unrealistic are then mentioned by the characters themselves and actually made plausible, as well as funny. Like the girl's profile being loaded straight away and the long wait time for the elevator. Some very nice work here.

The only POSSIBLY, MINOR nitpick I would have with it is the voice over parts just seeming a bit unneeded, like where it says the guy is catching up on an old book whilst he spent time off of Facebook. Still though, I'd say that's more a matter of personal preference than an actual problem.

Watched it again and this time watched the behind the scenes stuff. The short is great and I liked the behind the scenes stuff too. Funny when that guy tries to go in the elevator when you were trying to act. Ha...

I watched van wilder today and thought about your short it reminds me of that type of film.

Thanks again guys. There's a laundry list of little changes that i've been wanting to make for a while now (including axing some of the voiceovers) but I've been putting off replacing the file on vimeo due to it being the longest, most excruciating export of my life haha. Thanks for the feedback though, I'll keep it all in mind when I finally get around to making some changes

That was awesome! Really liked it, nice dialogue, and photography.
I have the same camera, and my video always look shitty, witch chromatic aberrations, noise and the like. What settings did you use?

Exposure settings varied from shot to shot, but i never went higher than ISO 200 when lit by daylight, and never above ISO 3200 during the colored dorm room scenes. As for the camera, I installed magic lantern firmware and couldn't be happier with it. Makes an $800 camera perform like a $2k beast

also, something to keep in mind when shooting with dslr's is that the lens quality has a much greater impact on the overall image than exposure settings do. Something shot through a lens like a zeiss compact prime is going to look phenomenally better than something shot through a canon kit lens. That's probably why you're getting chromatic aberration. I used a canon 28-105mm, a canon 18-135mm, along with two canon fd prime lenses with a bower eos>fd adapter: a 28mm prime and a 50mm prime.

Back