• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Coffee, Cream and Nicotine - Mockumentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p24vj7SplDM

This is a short film/mockumentary I wrote, directed and edited. It was a college project to make a documentary on something fascinating about your city. I decided to do it about an actor based in my local city, Liverpool. The story is about Jeremy Griffith, an unprofessional actor looking to make a debut on the big screen.

I have already started working on a Spin-off with the Stephen Peddler character (Jeremys' agent) with the same film style.

Also, before anything is said at the very beginning of the project I said I wanted to do opening credits like 'Scott Pilgrim VS. The World'. I most probably have completely copied, but I would rather say 'inspired'. I just wanted to see if I could do something similar to it.

Please give your thoughts, some feedback and reasons on why you think it's good/bad.

TL;DR - Give me some feedback on my short film :)

I really like the concept, but the production could really benefit from an additional camera and some better thought out lighting choices. I think you could really take this somewhere.

I really like the concept, but the production could really benefit from an additional camera and some better thought out lighting choices. I think you could really take this somewhere.

This is the first short film i've made with a decent script and characters - in another words, this was a first effort/attempt. My tutors loved it (who are actual producers and editors themselves) and so i've written a spin off with the agent character (have already begun filming).

Yeah, I agree that the lighting is dodgy and the sound was also a bit crap at times, but it was my first time working with a professional boom mic. The camera is actually a really good camera, i'm not sure of the model now but it's a panasonic and when I did know the model I looked it up and it cost something like 4 grand, I just need to use it more to know exactly what settings to use and how.

Last edited:
This is the first short film i've made with a decent script and characters - in another words, this was a first effort/attempt. My tutors loved it (who are actual producers and editors themselves) and so i've written a spin off with the agent character (have already begun filming).

Yeah, I agree that the lighting is dodgy and the sound was also a bit crap at times, but it was my first time working with a professional boom mic. The camera is actually a really good camera, i'm not sure of the model now but it's a panasonic and when I did know the model I looked it up and it cost something like 4 grand, I just need to use it more to know exactly what settings to use and how.

I think we have a communication problem. I think it was really good regardless of being your first time or not. I think the camera is fine, but you need another one for a show like this. Just my opinion.

The lighting wasn't dodgy, there wasn't any. ;)

It's all good, no worries. You wanted input.

I think we have a communication problem. I think it was really good regardless of being your first time or not. I think the camera is fine, but you need another one for a show like this. Just my opinion.

The lighting wasn't dodgy, there wasn't any. ;)

It's all good, no worries. You wanted input.

If by another one you mean Multi cam then that is a bit of a problem as we are quite limited to crew at the moment. We're using a different camera for the Spin-off, so it's no top camera that we used from college It's a digital HD one, but filming in SD because HD is a bitch to edit.

Yerh, i'm no pro so i'm not exactly sure how to work with lighting if i'm being honest.

Thanks a lot for the input though :)

Is the camera you're using now AVCHD? If it's hard to edit, I'm guessing it is. This may solve your HD editing problems. Link.

Last edited:
Back