Recommendations for editing

Dearest filmknackers,

Im just wanting to know some good editing programs for digital filmaking. I prefer using my Mac cuz its all I got, and I want to shoot in DV possibly with XL1S. So if someone could point me in the right direction as far as getting an editing platform organized I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
Gyp

Mac platforms

With the Macintosh in mind, is it running OSX? If so, Final Cut Pro might be your best option. There are others below for your consideration. Final Cut Pro (FCP) is becoming THE non-linear editing program of choice for a lot of amateurs and professionals alike. (www.apple.com). It retails for $1,000 US. Like the programs below, it is extremely robust, and appears to be very user friendly. I've sat in front of a Macintosh running FCP and watched an editor use it. It appeared to be really powerful.

Avid (www.avid.com) makes a program called Avid Xpress DV for around $1,000 US. It runs on OSX, 100+ real-time effects, drag and drop editing, nice media management, and compatible with Firewire connections.

Another obvious option is Adobe's Premiere Pro (www.adobe.com), which is what I personally have experience using. It's really robust, and offers camera controls so you can use your camera as a MiniDV or Sony D8 deck. Real nice program and sells for around $700 US.

These three are pretty much industry standards and independent filmmaker staples. Personally, I would stay clear of "consumer" programs that come bundled with cameras and such. They will just not offer you the same options and quality that FCP, Avid and Premiere will offer you.

Hope I've helped.

John.

Thanx

Thanx for the advice. I have seen FCP around but was wary seeing the price and all. I was wanting to steer away from a few "family video" editing bundles. I looked up all three of them, but FCP sure looks powerful, and it's made by mac so I suppose there is a bit of assurance towards stability. If ya got any more bits of info, Im all for it.

Cheers,
Gyp

If price is a problem you could consider Final Cut Express. It runs $299 and has many of the same features of FCP. Yes, some features are missing, but there are plenty there to make a complete movie. Hey, I know folks who have cut features using Imovie. I should say Imovie 1.

Scott

Cool

Thanx Scott,

I was a bit weary of FC Express because it looked kinda stripped down beyond a filmaker's use. But I guess with some work, I could do anything. What kind of features are missing that could make a difference?

Cheers,
Zac

I don't know the whole list of features missing from Final cut Express vs. Final Cut Pro, but if you went to Apple's site, I bet they'd have a list.

Scott

Back