Super 8mm Ektachrome 100D from Lightpress; 1080p 24fps

So I was finally able to finish shooting my Super8 short film late last month. The 10 rolls (a single Ektachrome 100D and nine 500t neg: one from Pro8 and the others from kodak) were developed at Pac-Lab in NYC (I had some issues with them involving lack of customer care that I won't get into right now) and then sent to LIGHTPRESS in Seattle.

One roll of 500twas underexposed, though I am not sure why. It might have been the 500t roll I had from Pro8mm (wouldn't that be funny). Looking back, I guess the DP or I could have done something wrong. We were using few lights and trying for a natural look. Lord knows, sh** goes wrong when using film on an old camera (in this case, The Nikon R10). That entire roll of film was for our actress' big nude scene. Thank the maker we shot an additional take on a second roll for safety!

I must say that I am very pleased with the results of Lightpress' 1080po scan. I have a PC with CS5 so ProRes was out. Eric delivered 1080p QuickTime, uncompressed and it is very very nice. Much nicer than any of the local 1080p transfers we had performed on our test rolls over the winter.

So far editing the original Qt files is no problem, though the system does hang a bit for dissolves that are not rendered.

Earlier today I posted some footage to Vimeo. You will notice the camera is never on a steadicam or tripod. We just embraced the hand held aspect of Super8 on this one. Also, we knew the beginning and end of the cartridges would be more prone to jumping and damage so we embraced that too.

Here is a montage of the Ektachrome 100D color Reversal footage...

http://vimeo.com/25676690

Vimeo cannot do Lightpress justice, but it seems better than YouTube.

Sorry, don't know hoe to embed a Vimeo video.

It looked great. Ektachrome is not a bad reversal stock. 100D handled a lot better than I would have thought, as I am a Kodachrome 40 fan forever (screw the environment! develop my film!!!).

How much was the 1080 transfers? Are they using an actual telecine, as in a Rank Cintel or which machine converted the film?

Thanks, guys. The kind words are appreciated. Much thanks to Eric at Lightpress for pushing Super8 to its limit in the scan. Amazing. I fricking love Super8!!

The pricing was discounted, so I am not sure i I should post what I paid, but it was less than what Pro8mm quoted. Same for Cinelicious and a few others (and I have to say, it was a difficult choice, deciding who to go with. In the end, Eric at Lightpress really made me feel comfortable being a newbie).

So I am encoding a tough cut right now and then need some sleep, but will post some 500t stuff before I leave for NC Thursday.

Last edited:
Back