Building a Studio

Folks,

I'm currently drawing up plans for a new non-profit educational technology center. The goal is to make this a multi-purpose "digital workshop" with cutting edge computer systems, software and peripherals.

At the heart of the project, I'm including a DV studio. The primary goal is education and hands-on training; one of the benefits is having a fully equipped DV studio available for Independent Filmmakers.

[As an aside, is there a distinction between "Independent Filmmakers" and "Independent DV-Only Filmmakers?"]

Preparing budget requirements is an upcoming task and my ignorance is starting to show. I've put together what I think is a reasonable equipment list... but I'm not a professional (and nowhere near it.)

So the question I'd like to pose is this: if you (as an Independent DV Filmmaker) were setting up a studio, how would you break down the "essential equipment", "nice-to-have" and "I wish" equipment lists?

That goes for pre- mid- and post-production equipment.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Essential

Edit suite, preferably Avid, but FCP, Premiere, or Vegas Video would work just as well.

That, to me, is the most important thing to have. I let other more experienced members add to the list.

Poke

Back