Agreed

I agree with everything on this page. Although, it is an old topic it is a pesistent topic among those new to the industry. I myself thought about these things when I first started and worried about to.
At the end of the day, it all depends on what you do, generally most creative work from film-making, writing, music etc. is based on ITS quality not YOUR qualifications. I mean if you have a script that's high concept that many producers are interested it doens't really matter where you went or what you studied.
I also agree in a perfect world you should get both and generally with a degree you do get both because it involves a work placement giving you experience and most importantly industry contacts.
I think if you miss out on University it would be a good idea to go and take some professional courses in your chosen profession to mainly improve and hone your skills, but also for your resume. There are after all some courses out there widely respected and successful.
In the end, you dont NEED a degree but certainly every qualification you can get will be useful and beneficial but in the end it's always down to how good you are.
There's also a degree of luck involved with knowing the right people or speaking to the right people at the right time, but obviously your work has to be decent too.
Everything said here is entirely valid and you did ask them for their opinions and that's what they gave. This is a very old question espec for those who've been around a lot longer and it all does depend on what you want to do, from a writer's point of view if you've got a hot script all you need is to find the right hands to place it in which of course isnt easy but then who said this was?

Back