• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Advice on shotgun mics

I'm looking to get started on some more serious projects and need a microphone that's better than the mic on my Canon Vixia HF M30. I was thinking about a shotgun mic. Anyone know of any good ones that are about a hundred dollars or even a little more?

Ok I can help you out here, I'm in the same exact boat. (Literally, exact, I use that same camera) I started off using an Audio Technica ATR6550. It's a decent mic for about 60 bucks, worth looking at. If your ready to get a big more serious, the perfect choice is the Rode VideoMic for about 150. It's a fantastic mic, and it's pretty inexpensive. I love mine so far, it's a HUGE upgrade.

Now I shoot a comedy web show that I write and direct. The first 4 episodes are using the Audio Technica ATR6550, so if you want to watch those and hear the quality, I'll link it below.

Since I just got the Rode VideoMic, episode 5 of my show will be filmed with it, and my new film "Forsaken Road" is also being filmed with it.

Hope I helped a bit, good luck

www.youtube.com/beatlesfan1225

Back