• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I'm trying to post sound samples to get feedback.

Sound I recorded to get feedback on the quality, and what I can do different. I tried posting on youtube, but youtube could not process them. Is there a place on here I can or can someone tell me why youtube did not? It was a file taken from FR2-LE of mine.

You could lay the audio down on a blank piece of video, and upload to YT.

The thing is, though, that's not going to help anyone judge the quality of the original audio 'cos YT will change it as part of the conversion.

There are a tonne of simple file upload sites, though.

YouSendIt.com
Easy-Share.com
MediaFire.com

Some include an email notification; others are direct link download.

You could lay the audio down on a blank piece of video, and upload to YT.

The thing is, though, that's not going to help anyone judge the quality of the original audio 'cos YT will change it as part of the conversion.

There are a tonne of simple file upload sites, though.

YouSendIt.com
Easy-Share.com
MediaFire.com

Some include an email notification; others are direct link download.

What do you mean YT will change it?

I only recorded with one mic and the sound recorder was set to mono. I had to move the mic between two actors, but of course when I shoot an actual short film I will not do that, and do different takes before moving it. So how do I fix the background noise problem? Do you mean the hissing? I have been trying but still can't put my finger on it. And I'm not sure what you mean by that bump. I kept adjusting the volume and monitor on purpose. The reason was so I can change it up while showing you guys the sample and you can tell me at what point the sample sounds the best. This will give me an idea when the monitor is good or not. Thanks.

Last edited:
The mic has a mid-range bump in the 1k area; a little EQ will fix that.

It sounds like an air conditioner or a fan or perhaps a dishwasher in the background - turn it off.

You should be recording on both channels at two different volumes (one set to a lower recording volume) so that transients won't distort on the second channel.

You should ALWAYS be practicing proper mic and other production sound techniques, otherwise your sound tests are useless; a properly aimed mic will pick up less background noise, perhaps low enough to be acceptable. Turn off all noisy appliances before you start recording, turn them off when you're done. Develop the proper habits so you do them automatically when you get on the set.

Okay thanks. Well how do I record on both channels since it will only let me if I have two mics it seems? I only have one mic, since it's low budget shooting. I was aiming the mic just right out of frame of the camera as close as I can. I was aiming it from above the camera frame, pointed diagonally down at his and her mouths, two feet away. So how do I point it at their mouths exactly? I don't remember noticing any appliances turned on, but maybe there were that I didn't pick up on. Perhaps it was a furnace.

Last edited:
So the compressor has to be on then?

No, the gas compressor is the part of the fridge that makes the loudest noise. :lol:

It will start & stop periodically.

Turn off your fridge, if you are picking that up on audio, Same for any other appliances that turn on & off at regulated intervals, such as air conditioners.

Cool thread, Harmonica :D I'll check out your test recordings when I get back from work.

Alcove, can you explain what you mean by this:

You should be recording on both channels at two different volumes (one set to a lower recording volume) so that transients won't distort on the second channel.

If Harmonica has one mic and has the recorder set up to record in mono, do you mean he should set up the recorder so it records the same mono track across both channels, with one channel set to a lower volume?

Also, I'm not quite sure what a transient is, but from a quick Google, it might be a weird fluctuation or peak in your audio, from your talent over-pronouncing a /p/ or /b/ sound, or something like that?

Thanks for your help!

If Harmonica has one mic and has the recorder set up to record in mono, do you mean he should set up the recorder so it records the same mono track across both channels, with one channel set to a lower volume?

Exactly! I haven't used one in a long time, but I seem to remember that you could send the audio of one input to both channels. At the worst you get a "Y" cable to send the audio to both channels .

Also, I'm not quite sure what a transient is, but from a quick Google, it might be a weird fluctuation or peak in your audio, from your talent over-pronouncing a /p/ or /b/ sound, or something like that?

An audio transient is the peak of a sound wave.

anchorxs5.jpg

If it is too loud it distorts. You set one of the channels lower so that there is a "safety" where the transient is not distorted and use that when doing the dialog editing.

mkreak.jpg

I kept trying to set it to send to both channels by selecting L/R instead of mono, but it kept sending to the left channel only on both settings. I will keep playing around with it and see.

The background sound changes about half way thru the second clip. Did the mic change position? Also the level drops a little after the background sound changes. The female voice is a bit thin. There's lots of room ring as well as pre-amp hiss. My guess is the mic was a bit more than 18" from the talent and/or aimed at her mouth, rather the top of her breastbone.
Thanks for posting.

Back