Getting the right firewire drive: your opinion

Hiya.
I'm getting ready to start editing the footage I have. I'll be getting a firewire drive to hold it all in case I need to switch editiors etc. I have about 7-8 hours of footage. How much ram would you peeps suggest getting? 80? 120?160? I probably can't get over 160 unless I get the best deal humanly possible. I've found pretty decent deals on the internet. The best I'm looking at is a 160gb lacie for $187. including shipping. Good? Bad? Do you know better??? If so pass it on!

I know 120 gb will hold it, maybe even 80, but I want to save cuts as new sessions to be able to compare choices and avoid doing stuff over and over again., so I figured a couple hours of room should help out a lot. This is all based on theory and not experience, so please let me know if i'm wrong, misguided or right on track. Any opinions? Experiences? Things to avoid?

Thanks,
filmgirl

hard time with firewire

firewire drives are such a pain. there's a billion out there and they all seem to work but some work better with some computers than others. So someone will say 'rocstor is the best' and so you buy one, does it work well with your computer? not so much. But yeah, just make sure you can return it no matter where you get it from. And get as much as you can afford. Good luck

Back