Welcome any advice!

Hey everyone
I was just wondering if there was anyone that knows of good schools in the US that offer film. i know that is such a bad question, and there must be a million on here but i am stuck on where to go and what to take.
Also I was wondering if anyone would share how they got there start in film, not just directing but every aspect of it. i have read and also heard so much about different ways of "break into" it and have been having doubts about film school all together. Well I look forward to any helpful advice :lol:

It's a good question!!!!

Keylime:

I think it's a good question. :) All questions are good.
I live in Florida, so for "me" Florida State University would be "my" first choice over the University of Central Florida, which is actually closer, or any other universities in this state.

I think to really answer your question - I should mention location, location, location! Film Schools in California and New York are obvious choices. Now, that has narrowed it down quite a bit, but may not be specific enough to answer your question - thoroughly. Therefore, think of the top 5 film schools in the US. That narrows it down even more, but these programs are extremely competitive. They are (hope I am not getting this wrong): CalArts, Florida State University [just added], American Film Institute, UCLA, NYU, and I think Columbia University. If you noticed - they are all in either New York or California - but honestly, this list changes each year - somewhat. AFI (my personal fav), CalArts and NYU usually stay on the list.

Now the question of school vs. just doing it. I personally did not go to film school. I created a film school from books that I bought (huge library - ask me and I'll tell you the good ones), the Internet, professionals in the industry willing to share, creating your own film projects, working on others film projects, watching movies - lots of them, writing, writing, and writing, etc. That's what I've done, and it has served me well - especially my wallet.

Now - am I saying DO NOT GO TO FILM SCHOOL??? No way - I am not. Film school is awesome, but the majority of graduates I've worked with, and pros in the field have said to me not to waist my money. So I took their advice. One day though - my dream is to graduate from AFI. Not sure why - just a dream, that's all.

Breaking into the industry is hard. You have to get yourself close to the industry, and just be persistant (I am making the plunge next year). But do yourself a favor, and know your stuff, or like any industry - they will ignore you. More so film pros and studios...

Good luck. Go out and tell a story!

John.

Thanks so much John,
You really did have some good advice. I think you are the first person that has made sense to me.

I would love to go to school and just be able to learn about film but I don't want to have to go to school for four years and come out with a degree that I am unable to find a job with. This is my major concern, I don't have tens of thousands of dollars to spend. I don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life. I love hands on learning and would love to just be able to take some classes in all applicable areas...but I live in South Carolina and finding such classes has so far proven to be impossible. Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

Thanks again though, you have opened a few more doors that I never considered

I relate!

Keylime:

You are so welcome. I am glad I could be help to you. I really relate to your situation. I live in a tourist's beach community on the Gulf of Mexico and there is nothing here for filmmakers, except some festivals in neighboring cities and forums like this one. One would have to literally relocate to attend a film school around here. That is why books, your own projects, other's projects, the Internet and others sources was such a logical choice for me. I don't have thousands of dollars either, and I've already done the college - school loan debt thing. No, no - not again.

Keylime: it's all about passion, and when you have the passion to learn something and do something, you suddenly wake up one day doing it, and go wow! It happened to me that way. Like Nike says, "Just do it!" Find a way, and the way will find you. (Did that make sense?) :shock:

Anyway...I am really happy to hear I helped.

Good luck!

John.

Back