Dealing out rejection

"Thank you so much for auditioning for (name of project). The cast has been selected and unfortunately you didn't get the part. We will keep your resume and headshot on file for any future productions. Thank you."

You shouldn't need to send that, and you probably shouldn't send that.

That is not common practice.

Say thank you in the room and shake hands. If you're interested in them maybe ask about their schedule, but other than that, part ways with a smile.

It's refreshing to see such an approach. I know, if I was an actor, I'd appreciate you taking the time out of your day to reply.

Not many do. Which is always up for debate. Different people have different methods. However, I wish it was common practice.

If the tables where turned, and the job was different, wouldn't you want to hear back?

It's refreshing to see such an approach. I know, if I was an actor, I'd appreciate you taking the time out of your day to reply.

Not many do. Which is always up for debate. Different people have different methods. However, I wish it was common practice.

If the tables where turned, and the job was different, wouldn't you want to hear back?

The thought is positive, but the likely situation is that it adds confusion and a chance for the rejected to ask "why?"

If you do answer that, you'll be subjected to a heap of emails back and forth as they vie for another shot. If you don't give it to them, you look like a jerk. If you don't answer the email at all, you look like a jerk.

I'm fine with not hearing back when I don't get a job. The reason isn't important, in most cases, just that I need to do keep moving forward.

As a business practice, it's probably best to cap it off in the audition/interview.

As a personal choice, well, have to make your own.

The thought is positive, but the likely situation is that it adds confusion and a chance for the rejected to ask "why?"

If you do answer that, you'll be subjected to a heap of emails back and forth as they vie for another shot. If you don't give it to them, you look like a jerk. If you don't answer the email at all, you look like a jerk.

I'm fine with not hearing back when I don't get a job. The reason isn't important, in most cases, just that I need to do keep moving forward.

As a business practice, it's probably best to cap it off in the audition/interview.

As a personal choice, well, have to make your own.

I'll always have/find the time to answer honestly to those who have took time out to audition for our work. Whether that will be immediately after the audition, or otherwise.

I'm hoping that won't change, once our productions grace a larger scale of cast/crew.

Perhaps it's a factor of how I was raised, and more importantly, where. There was a famous football manager named Bill Shankly. He was manager at the time of the most successful club in the world. Possibly the greatest manager that ever lived. Yet, he still found the time to answer every letter that was sent to him by fans. Everytime his doorbell rang, he answered, and spoke to people for aslong as he could. He was a working mans man. He was for the people.

I've grown up listening to stories of the glory days, and of "The Liverpool way". Bill Shankly, the man, was at the core of that.

I like to think I can try to adapt that same outlook, and I think I will.

Differing approaches.

I'll always have/find the time to answer honestly to those who have took time out to audition for our work. Whether that will be immediately after the audition, or otherwise.

I'm hoping that won't change, once our productions grace a larger scale of cast/crew.

Perhaps it's a factor of how I was raised, and more importantly, where. There was a famous football manager named Bill Shankly. He was manager at the time of the most successful club in the world. Possibly the greatest manager that ever lived. Yet, he still found the time to answer every letter that was sent to him by fans. Everytime his doorbell rang, he answered, and spoke to people for aslong as he could. He was a working mans man. He was for the people.

I've grown up listening to stories of the glory days, and of "The Liverpool way". Bill Shankly, the man, was at the core of that.

I like to think I can try to adapt that same outlook, and I think I will.

Differing approaches.
Yeah, just different approaches.

Nothing wrong with that!

While I think that your football story is different than someone applying for a job and not getting the job, then asking "why didn't I get this job?", I see what you mean.

I respect your position/stance and have nothing against it.

Papertwin, for the record, though I trust that Bill Shankly was a great man, Mike Ditka would kick his ass. ;)

That being said, I think I like this "Liverpool Way" that you speak of.

There was a thread, not so long ago, in which I bemoaned how uncurtious I thought it was that film festivals send out impersonal-mass-email rejection letters. Can you seriously not take the time to write one personalized sentence to me? Yeah, I know that they get hundreds, if not thousands of submissions, but all I'm asking for is one freaking sentence.

I'm not an actor, but based on my experiences with film festivals, I think I would appreciate a (very carefully worded) rejection-letter. You might want to include a reminder that the entire process is of course 100% subjective. Also, instead of "you didn't get the part", I think the standard nicety is "we've chosen to go another direction" (otherwise, I think Uranium's example looks quite dandy). For each applicant, if you can throw in one polite compliment, something to let them know that this email was actually written for them, not just a mass-email, I think that'd be really cool.

Papertwin, for the record, though I trust that Bill Shankly was a great man, Mike Ditka would kick his ass. ;)

I highly doubt that, Mr.Funk. :cool:

That being said, I think I like this "Liverpool Way" that you speak of.

There was a thread, not so long ago, in which I bemoaned how uncurtious I thought it was that film festivals send out impersonal-mass-email rejection letters. Can you seriously not take the time to write one personalized sentence to me? Yeah, I know that they get hundreds, if not thousands of submissions, but all I'm asking for is one freaking sentence.

I'm not an actor, but based on my experiences with film festivals, I think I would appreciate a (very carefully worded) rejection-letter. You might want to include a reminder that the entire process is of course 100% subjective. Also, instead of "you didn't get the part", I think the standard nicety is "we've chosen to go another direction" (otherwise, I think Uranium's example looks quite dandy). For each applicant, if you can throw in one polite compliment, something to let them know that this email was actually written for them, not just a mass-email, I think that'd be really cool.

This is the much needed sentiment that I'm referring to. I think emails, and the closed-off audition process, has given us the opportunity to bypass the niceties of "The small town tradition" if you will.

I haven't sent many but my last one was to a composer whose work i liked but wasn't fitting for the project.

Paraphrasing what i wrote: Thank you for your application. Unfortunately the position has already been filled. However, i'll keep you in mind if a future project requires your talent. Etc. Etc.

Last edited:
I haven't sent many but my last one was to a composer who's work i liked but wasn't fitting for the project.

Paraphrasing what i wrote: Thank you for your application. Unfortunately the position has already been filled. However, i'll keep you in mind if a future project requires your talent. Etc. Etc.

For sure. I've done that with a lot of people because I liked the work, want to work with them in the future, but they didn't fit for this reason or that.

That's fine to me!

Mass emails? Well, again, different strokes!

As a West Ham fan if an actor didn't get the part I just send them a letter with some bullets in it...

I've always thought that I'd like to be more consoling to actors I don't cast but they're totally used to not hearing anything and it can become an awkward avenue of exploration. I'd still to being nice and friendly in the auditions, then no one will bad mouth you too badly at the secret meetings of actors that they all attend to whisper rudely about directors...

We looked at a lot of people (even if you didn't) and it was a hard decision, but we decided you weren't the right look for the role.
If we're ever looking for more people on our next project, we'll be sure to contact you.

Something like that

We only send rejection letters because we say at the audition that we will notify the applicants either way by a certain date. This helps avoid endless e-mails asking when we will be finished casting, etc.

I think our actual letter says "Thank you so much for auditioning for (name of project). Unfortunately we couldn't find a part for you. We will keep your resume and headshot on file for any future productions. Thank you."

Not sure what the norm is or if it varies by geographical location, but we like to keep things official and give our applicants deadlines for when we'll be done deciding, and let everyone know what we've decided.

Alternatively, you could indicate at the audition that applicants will only be notified if they get the part, or you could post your cast list online.

Done,
it was only a handful of emails, each personal so no biggie.

I went with "It was a hard decision, but Im decided to go for a different look.. " which was true, all my original invites had a similar look, when the one CL game in, different look, and she got the part. so..

I've only sent e-mails after the second audition. I think that's only polite.

If an actor comes in for the second audition then they definitely have talent. So, I talk up their strengths, and try to explain why I went in another direction. Everyone has been extremely grateful for the kind words.

5 people, 1 role. 4 people have to be disappointed.

Back