• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Interesting sounds when I turn the mic off

I've been reviewing my sound recordings, and I've noticed some interesting clicks and pulsing sounds that pick up when I turn the mic off.

I'm curious what the source of these sounds are. Is this RF interference?

Obviously, this is more a question of curiosity than utility, but I'm wondering if these sounds are signs that my sound cables are insufficiently shielded. If I was using more expensive equipment, would I hear absolute silence when I turn the microphone off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjQncjYT7gE

In this video, you can see an example--at first, I am recording audio normally, and then I switch the mic off, while continuing to record (In this case, I actually forgot to stop recording, that's why the camera's bouncing around).

However, even though the mic is off, the recording is full of noises. Subtle, quiet noises, but noises nonetheless.

I was using the Rode VideoMic attached by a ten-foot 3.5mm Rode cable to an older consumer NTSC mini-dv camcorder. I'm in a kitchen surrounded by possible sources of interference, including cell phones, wireless routers, and so forth.

Any ideas what is causing this sound?

There's all kinds of electronic sounds, some of which is probably the camera itself (self-noise from the cheap pre-amps); it's hard to say without being on location and eliminating sources one at a time. I also hear the mic cable or connection crackling (a common problem with high impedance units).

That's what's known as EVP, it's generally nothing to worry about as it's primarily generated by disembodied spirits, although occasionally it can be caused by demons or other evil beings. Boost it up really loud in your waveform editor, and if you hear angry phrases like "GET OUT!" it may be the latter. In that case you may want to look for a new location which isn't located on a former burial ground, mental asylum or prison. Oh, and don't share the video with anyone as it could allow the evil spirits to break free of their current confines and wreak havoc on the world.

@It Donned on Me

Hahaha!

I KNEW IT!

@Alcove

Well, this pretty much proves my suspicion... I have pretty crappy equipment.

So, these sounds are probably getting into my sound recordings?

Back