Yep, A Camera Question

I shot a documentary last year on the GY-HM100u. Decent picture, good audio implementation. Small enough to be inconspicuous, especially if you take you off the top handle. It's a great camera if you're going to be editing with Final Cut. You can choose to record in FCP native .mov or .mp4. The only negative I have to say is that there is something funky with the way it records MP4. Having a project that was over 7 minutes would cause Premiere CS4 to constantly freeze with the footage. It happened on multiple installs, Mac and PC. Everything was fine once we re-encoded the files, though. We had no issues with files recorded as .mov.

Here's some footage from the documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGaQDEFbPyQ

I've used the JVC HD100 and 200, they are fantastic cameras and you can get them for almost nothing. Get one bundled with a Firestore and it'll smack any DSLR in terms of a clean, pristine image. They also have a highly erognomic shoulder mount form factor. But it won't give you shallow focus ability or the DLSR's low light ability. Lens selections are limited and prohibitively expensive.

I have owned JVC since 1999 and the GY-DV500. I currently
own the HD100 and the HM700. Since early May I have been
using the HM790 on a TV show. I often rent the PL lens adaptor
which allows me to use any film camera lenses - nothing quite
using a set of Ziess Primes. Since I am not as fanatical about
shallow DOF as most and I am fanatical about functionality I
much prefer a shoulder mounted camera with easily accessible
controls. Comes from my years as an operator.

They're good cameras. We bought a couple DV 500's when they came out, and built a live video rig with DV550's and their CCU's.

The hdv cameras were great, now we use the HM100. fantastic little camera.

It's all still in the video world though. We use 7Ds for cinema stuff.

I know dv tape is passe, but a JVC HD200 or 100 bundled with Firestore makes a killer set up because it creates a cheap, instant archive with the tape and yet has the convenience of solid state digital dumping to NLE.
I've used the DV500, but didn't mention it because I didn't think anyone would remember it. Guess not.

We have 3 of the HD110's for multicam shooting. They are a really nice hybrid of professional features in the prosumer grade camera.

The secret strength of the cameras are the ability to create look presets and save them on the SD cards. There used to be a ton of them for download, but they are harder to find now. They are *.SCN files and some people came up with PANAMATCH, which is a Panavision style look to the cameras and crushing the blacks.

Anyone have some to share? I have only about 6-7 of them left from downloads.

We have 3 of the HD110's for multicam shooting. They are a really nice hybrid of professional features in the prosumer grade camera.

The secret strength of the cameras are the ability to create look presets and save them on the SD cards. There used to be a ton of them for download, but they are harder to find now. They are *.SCN files and some people came up with PANAMATCH, which is a Panavision style look to the cameras and crushing the blacks.

Anyone have some to share? I have only about 6-7 of them left from downloads.

I used to use Paolo Ciccone's True Color, really liked it. http://paolociccone.com/

Back