Canon Rebel T3 Advise Needed!

Hello!

I currently film with a Canon Vixia HF-M30, with a filter over it, and a lens hood. My videos come out pretty well, I'm pretty satisfied with them, but the audio is obviously bad. I use a seperate shotgun mic for audio.

But onto the Canon Rebel T3. Oddly enough, these 2 cameras are about the same price, (599) but the Rebel T3 seems so much better, and seems to have many more features. They both shoot in 720p, and I'll probably hook my Rode VideoMic into whichever one I end up using. Is the Rebel T3 enough of an upgrade from the Hf-M30? If so, why?

EDIT: I've learned that it doesn't have an external mic output, which is a huge turnoff to me, since the onboard audio is not very good. Still I'd like to hear what anyone has to say about the difference between the T3 and my HfM30

Last edited:
The audio recording capabilities are quite bad on the T3i. Standard recommendation is that you NEED an external audio recorder.

Is it an upgrade? Depends on what's important to you. Check out my blogs to see the positives/negatives of shooting on DSLR.

A lot of people have been going nuts over the Panasonic GH2. Technically not DSLR, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same class of camera, and many people would choose it over the T3i.

By the way, one correction -- the T3i shoots 1080p (720p is you're shooting 60FPS).

The audio recording capabilities are quite bad on the T3i. Standard recommendation is that you NEED an external audio recorder.

Is it an upgrade? Depends on what's important to you. Check out my blogs to see the positives/negatives of shooting on DSLR.

A lot of people have been going nuts over the Panasonic GH2. Technically not DSLR, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same class of camera, and many people would choose it over the T3i.

By the way, one correction -- the T3i shoots 1080p (720p is you're shooting 60FPS).

Thanks for the info. Since I cannot plug my Rode VideoMic into it, I will be straying away from the T3, though I might consider it for photography at a later date. The Panasonic GH2 is great, and I looked over all its specs, but its out of price range for now. I think I'm going to keep filming with the HFM30, because the quality of my videos looks fantastic with it, and it has the external sound output I need.

My curiosity about DSLRs and whether they were an upgrade or not sparked when I came across an old Canon EOS 1 in my garage, which doesn't shoot video, but it produces some fantastic 35mm photos. I was just curious about the DSLRs, but I think I'll stick with the HFM30 for the simple reason that it looks great, and sticks within my budget

As far as I understand it, the T3i and the GH2 have the same sound capabilities. You can plug in an external mic, but the sound-quality of the recording is low, and you can't monitor. Also, I believe the T3i retails for more than the GH2.

Anyway, if you like your camera, keep it.

As far as I understand it, the T3i and the GH2 have the same sound capabilities. You can plug in an external mic, but the sound-quality of the recording is low, and you can't monitor. Also, I believe the T3i retails for more than the GH2.

Anyway, if you like your camera, keep it.

The Canon Rebel T3 retails for 599 at Best Buy, GH2 goes for about 1500.

The Canon Rebel T3 retails for 599 at Best Buy, GH2 goes for about 1500.

First off, you're confusing your cameras. The T3i is what you want for video, not the T3. The T3i is priced at $799 for only the body, $899 with a kit lens. The GH2 is priced at $899 for the body, $999 with a kit lens.

EDIT: Yes, the T3 will shoot 720p video, but most people would consider it crazy not to go with the much improved T3i. Even the T2i is a far better choice than the T3.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm seriously considering the T3 for photography purposes, but not video. For right now I'll stick with my HFM30 because it takes fantastic video and it's perfect for my needs...

To each his own, but that just makes absolutely no sense to me. Why in the world would you spend that on a photo only camera when for a couple hundred more you could get a photo only camera AND video capabilities that would be an upgrade over what you have now.

To each his own, but that just makes absolutely no sense to me. Why in the world would you spend that on a photo only camera when for a couple hundred more you could get a photo only camera AND video capabilities that would be an upgrade over what you have now.

I need a decent photo only camera, the T3 is perfect for my needs. Right now, I don't need a better video camera, I'm perfectly happy with the HFM30. I don't see the need to spend an extra 300 dollars for an upgrade in video quality I don't need right now. Having never owned a DSLR, and needing a good photo only camera, the T3 is a perfect entry to all of that.

Horse.jpg

DRINK! DAMN YOU!!!

Back