Instant Karma

When I was shooting Us Sinners, a lot of the problems, headaches and weaknesses came from the fact I'd never made a movie before. I worried constantly that these fabulous actors would find out I didn't have a clue and quit. After it was all over, I found out my anxiety was completely unfounded. Everyone had a great time.

For Leading Lady I don't have that anxiety. I know what I'm doing, and I'm actually very good at it. The anxiety this time comes from my leading lady (the same one I've been bitching about here), whose mission in life is to make my life miserable and cause me as much stress as possible. When I get an e-mail or I'm in the same room as her, my stomach hurts so bad I can barely stand up straight. It's like an instant ulcer. But, once everyone is in place and shooting begins, it's pretty damn incredible. She's stunningly beautiful and naturally talented.

We have two more intense weekends to shoot and we'd have been done with her. But, besides the fact she showed up two shades darker from hanging out on the beach during the week. We got into it over a single shot and a special paragraph that I wrote to protect her from me, a person she barely knows. She took my own words, twisted them to her liking and spit them in my face. Which for me was the end.

My special paragraph states that I may ask her to do some shots that may seem questionable (example: picking up her clothes after having sex and walking to the stairway) It's not in the script, but it might be a beautiful shot. She's absolutely gorgeous. Since it's not in the script, I'd give her final say whether the shot could be used in the final edit. That's pretty generous.

This weekend we shot a short two shot scene where Nancy is having sex with a stranger she met at a coffee house. Because we were shooting at a friend's apartment, I didn't want to bring someone in to do two shots. I might be bald, but from behind, I'm fairly skinny. So, as long as my face doesn't show, you really can't tell my age. I'm also really hairy, and Nancy's suppose to have this look of complete revulsion on her face. It's a really great shot.

The second shot in the script is "He rolls off her and grabs her boob". Since I'm too old to be having sex with this young lady, I needed a replacement shot. So, I came up with a perfect one. I roll off her, she turns, sees her dead sister's picture smiling at her and she turns the picture over so she can't see it.

The problem came when the bra and shirt she held over her body so I couldn't actually touch her skin kept getting in the shot. It was late, and I said "You have to remove them". She refused. I said "This is in the script", and she said "No it's not. In the script he rolls off her and grabs her boob". So, I said "Okay, get under the blankets and we'll shoot that". She refused. We finally got a really poor shot of her flipping the photo. But she argued semantics. Yes this shot was not specifically in the script. But, it replaced a shot that was. The special paragraph was for questionable material. This wasn't questionable. Her breasts literally can not be seen. She doesn't appear naked in the movie. Her problem was the body on top of her was me.

So, after that, I shut down production. I blamed myself instead of just telling everyone I won't work with her anymore. But, the best is she writes me with " If you are considering contacting me when you are ready to start up again, please do." I set her straight today.

A question that's always bothered me was "If someone's behavior is so terrible, do you want to reward them with any kind of recognition?" If Leading Lady turns out good or bad, it's still a product. It would still get her name and face to some portion of the population. I finally decided I don't want to condone her behavior and attitude. I don't want our names associated in any way.

She also asked for scenes to use on her reel. I told her I'd only send her our 5 second bed scene. I bet she's pissed. But, I feel good.

Dude, mellow out. Do you want to make money or write really long personal observations to a bunch of strangers?

What's the goal and why did you hire her?

In my own odd way, I'm trying to help. Peace.

a lot of the problems, headaches and weaknesses

I worried constantly that these fabulous actors would find out I didn't have a clue and quit. After it was all over, I found out my anxiety was completely unfounded. Everyone had a great time.

anxiety this time comes from my leading lady (the same one I've been bitching about here), whose mission in life is to make my life miserable and cause me as much stress as possible.

When I get an e-mail or I'm in the same room as her, my stomach hurts so bad I can barely stand up straight. It's like an instant ulcer.

We got into it over a single shot and a special paragraph that I wrote to protect her from me, a person she barely knows. She took my own words, twisted them to her liking and spit them in my face.

I shut down production.

I blamed myself instead of just telling everyone I won't work with her anymore.

A question that's always bothered me was "If someone's behavior is so terrible, do you want to reward them with any kind of recognition?" If Leading Lady turns out good or bad, it's still a product. It would still get her name and face to some portion of the population. I finally decided I don't want to condone her behavior and attitude. I don't want our names associated in any way.

She also asked for scenes to use on her reel. I told her I'd only send her our 5 second bed scene. I bet she's pissed.

But, I feel good.

Dude... you really need to take a step back, and look at what you are doing. :eek:

Hey I like to rant.

If you're taking it straight from this post, then it does sound rambling. But, if you go to other rants and ramblings, it makes more sense.

Yes Crack you do put yourself in the movie if it's called for. You bring as few people into someone's apartment when shooting. My DP won't let anyone shoot at his house because he did once, and his wife's jewelry went missing. Our camera man a much younger better looking guy then me refused to do it. So, that left me and the DP. I'm much skinnier then him. So by default it had to be me. When I worked in theatre for years, we liked to call it an extra body. You didn't hire someone to walk on and off, you used someone from the office or the person working the lights and sound.

The facts don't really matter in these types of situations.

Regardless of the propriety of your actions, it sure LOOKS bad from what you said. It LOOKS like a perverted setup, and it LOOKS like you got upset when you didn't get to touch the necked boob.

Just sayin'

It's like a real life romantic comedy. My prediction is that you guys are going to have some kind of meet-cute where you make up and then do a real 'bedroom scene' if you know what I mean.

The facts don't really matter in these types of situations.

Regardless of the propriety of your actions, it sure LOOKS bad from what you said. It LOOKS like a perverted setup, and it LOOKS like you got upset when you didn't get to touch the necked boob.

Just sayin'

If that was the case, we wouldn't have done it a bunch of times using the clothes.

Also, it wasn't as much the shot as twisting the words I used to protect her rights that pissed me off.

No...
way...
in...
hell...

I would give any actor that much control or cater to their needs that much (or let them drive me that crazy) unless their name above the title of the film on the marquee sold me a hell of a lot of tickets/DVDs.

Also, going forward, if an actor has a sex scene or a nude scene it's the VERY FIRST THING you shoot with that actor.
That prevents "Well I know I SAID I'd do the sex scene... well I know I SAID I'd get naked... but now that you've established me in the film and I know you can't fire me without re-shooting I'm going to bend you over and ass rape you for more money, or totally refuse to do it".

An actor can suggest, an actor can give me their ideas, I am happy to hear them. However, in the end the actor does the scene the way I tell them to or they are fired, on the spot, maybe if they are lucky, getting cab fare home.

wheat is right to point out perception. It doesn't matter what it looks like to a bunch of strangers on a forum. The only perception that matters is the one that belongs to your lead actress.

The way you describe it, it really sounds like she thought she was being taken advantage of. Person in charge casts himself in a role that involves groping lead actress' boobs. Do you really not see how she could be weirded out by that? And this not wanting to bring in an extra person excuse doesn't work. If you're worried about cast/crew stealing, then bring someone whom you trust.

And now you're going to shut down production, for the mere sake of spiting someone? Really?! A lot of people put a lot of work into production, and you're going to kill it, for what? Ego?

BTW - Dready, your idea is both genius, and hilarious!

I prefer Dreadylocks' version of events. In the interim one or both of you needs to meet an unlikely character who teaches you something about yourselves and a wacky sidekick who changes for the better after you get together. All to the strains of some chipper and uplifting pop song.

That said, I do appreciate a good rant/vent. I hope your production does find a way to resume; it's disheartening to put so much work into something that gets abandoned.

ussiners,
No offense was meant to you. I totally see your view.

Iv spent the last 16 years in corporate culture, Iv had "sensitivity training" every one of those 16 years and know for a fact, perception of sexual harassment, with ZERO physical evidence, can cost you your job, can cost millions to defend \ settle. Perception is king.

I do love Dreddy's version though, what a nice positive attitude, shes so awesome...If Sean wasn't on the scene, Id move to Chicago just to be in the same city, where I would watch over her like a protecting angel. A lonely sentinel watching, ever watching.

(The above was a test in the perception of creepiness) lol!

wheat is right to point out perception. It doesn't matter what it looks like to a bunch of strangers on a forum. The only perception that matters is the one that belongs to your lead actress.

The way you describe it, it really sounds like she thought she was being taken advantage of. Person in charge casts himself in a role that involves groping lead actress' boobs. Do you really not see how she could be weirded out by that? And this not wanting to bring in an extra person excuse doesn't work. If you're worried about cast/crew stealing, then bring someone whom you trust.

And now you're going to shut down production, for the mere sake of spiting someone? Really?! A lot of people put a lot of work into production, and you're going to kill it, for what? Ego?

BTW - Dready, your idea is both genius, and hilarious!

She knew that shot was removed. We spoke at length about it. I had no intention of touching her boob. What we needed was me getting off her, and her turning away from the camera and turning down a photo. Her outfit was getting in the way. Everyone saw it. At that point we were past the time we had to leave the apartment. So, she was being stubborn. So I said "It's in the script", she yelled it wasn't. Which is true. The script version is the boob grab, which I had no intention of doing. But, since she brought it up, I said "Okay get under the covers and we'll shoot that". That's when she refused.

Because of the material the contract is extremely detailed. She agreed to do everything in the script. But, my special paragraph gave us the right to shoot other material not in the script that might be uncomfortable. This was not one of those shots. Those shots would be at her discretion and ultimately whether they made it into the final cut.

I didn't use any female T&A in Us Sinners, and I lost two good distribution deals because of it. So, I promised myself that my next project would have nudity. But it would be tasteful and non-gratuitous. I put the safety and well-being of my actors way above making a movie. There's a paragraph about any kind of still photography being taken while anyone is a state of undress. There's very specific items that safeguard the actors. So, I know I went the extra mile. She's just a spoiled brat who does whatever she wants, and expects her word to be God.

Seriously, who shows up to a shoot 2 shades darker then they were the week before? While I can't blame her, it's extremely strange that Saturday we went shopping for an outfit. Sunday she shows up and she has a huge red rash up and down her thighs. Which she claims she's never had before. This is the day we're shooting a love scene. This past Sunday she forgot her jewelry, her shoes, was an hour late... Pure Joy.

I saw the thread title and couldn't resist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP3wT5lpa4

and in keeping with Dreadys concept...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHUfy_YBps

That's what made me think of the thread title.

Dready: This is genuine hate on our parts. She told me in one of her last e-mails "you are fucking braindead". Not even a hint of RomCom.

Murdock: I honestly didn't know that. I thought there was good and bad karma. My bad karma has been passed to her. I'm loving her e-mails. When we needed to get things done, she couldn't be bothered to respond. Now, that she's been fired. I'm getting e-mails every day. I know that's sounding really nasty on my part. But, you have no idea what I've taken from her. Not one of you would have put up with it.

JoshL: I'm close to getting back to reshooting. My eye got so trained on how great she was, I literally didn't think anyone could be as good. In the "Deep Philosophical Question" thread someone mentioned this. I didn't listen. As a matter of fact EVERYONE said replace her. I didn't listen. I was correct in her performance, and completely wrong in not listening. However, when it was thought she wouldn't be able to complete the role, I took out ads. This one GORGEOUS girl stood out. Plus, she had a reel. She can act. But, she has an accent. A few nights before we were going to shoot, I auditioned her. She floored me. She won't do it, because it's unpaid (though there are points). But, she reminded there's other truly talented actresses on the market.

Mike and Gonzo: I did shoot the sex scene first. But, I kept to my word and nothing showed.

Last edited:
Back