GH2 hacked

GH2 is currently, by most accounts, the best DSLR in terms of video capability. The gap is about to grow even bigger as soon, possible within days, we can expect increased bit rates, 4:2:2 color space, and other goodies. Score another for the Rooskies.

Sorry that I'm going off topic somewhat, and this has probably been asked before but I can't find any good information on it.

Question: Why is the GH2/GH1 considered better for video? What makes them better? I thought they had smaller sensores, making the crop a much more factor?

yeah, its a bit of a religious war, and "better" is such a relative term as to be meaningless.

My personal top 5 reasons GH2 is better than a Cannon crop sensor cam (T2i, T3i, 7D etc)

• Electronic View Finder that works for video
  • Less aliasing
  • Hi Def out the HDMI port during recording
  • Longer record time (US Models only)
  • No over heating

Most of these issues can either be overcome or at least worked around with the other cameras, and are not DEAL BREAKERS for the cannons to be GREAT video platforms, but for me, those differences make the GH2 work for me.

There are more technical reasons, the video IS sharper etc. But the usability issues are my big hang up.

Sorry that I'm going off topic somewhat, and this has probably been asked before but I can't find any good information on it.

Question: Why is the GH2/GH1 considered better for video? What makes them better? I thought they had smaller sensores, making the crop a much more factor?

A big thing for me is that the GH2 doesn't alias and isn't plagued with moire. Big problem with the Canons. The Canons also have astonishingly bad audio.

There are also a lot more lens options for a GH2 is you're into vintage glass.

GH2 also has better resolution.

PM me if you'd like to join and become one of us.

Maybe I should get a GH2 as my second camera. I've been thinking about getting a 7D ( got I just can't stop buying lenses and shit)... even though they're cheap, and I haven't bought anything in months... but it's an addiction. :/

You'll see me on Intervention, trust me!

So basically the GH2 = more lenses than the Canon, allowing you to be able to use more vintage glass? Hrm...

I've heard that the GH1/GH2 are more immune to aliasing because they do pixel binning instead of line skipping. Is that true?

One plus for the Canons is that they now have Technicolor Cinestyle, which IMO is a very exciting development for consumer DSLRs. Has Panasonic anything similar?

A few clips that Brian and I shot yesterday, nothing fancy. The full screen clips played back on the HD computer monitor were very impressive.

http://vimeo.com/24201529
Password: gh2cobwebs

http://vimeo.com/24200189
password: gh2test

No visible moire, artifacts or aliasing, but it does have the usual Jello effect. Although there is a work around with a setting that seems to fix it.

Might have more clips to post. Cheers.

Why the down res to 720?

ah, try a different h264 compression, my videos are under 20 \ 30 mb.

http://vimeo.com/22031702 is only 9mb's (download the mp4 if you want)

look into x264 (yes, not h264, but x264) its an open source implementation of h264 encoder that is better than the out of the box stuff. Lots of GUI options for MAC, only one good implementation for PC and thats handbrake.

Hey wheat,

so answer me this because I've been away on a shoot for a while and I just got back and interested in my options of buying a camera,

GH2 vs. T3i or 60d. Which one would you buy after having both of them?

WOW never heard of that. Thanks!

Is there a Canon Intelligence Agency than forcibly removes any "test footage" videos from YT or Vimeo that has this fault to make these cameras seem ok? That's wild I've never seen that sort of thing on the web. Go figure. And I guess there is no work-around for it in post, eh?

Sorry for derailing the thread. When is this hack for the GH2 coming out? I'm curious.

Back