• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Studio Sound Question

Okay!

I found a place that is 25' X 35' and the ceiling is 10' high. There are windows that can block out the light with thick black curtains. There are 20 plus electrical outlets in the room. We bring our own greenscreen kit and light the greenscreen ourselves.

The studio is not a sound stage. But, interviews are recorded there all the time. The owner believes we can record dialogue here without issues.

Price $750 a day for a 9 hour day.

Does this sound worthwhile?

Another studio the same size not a sound stage room, but has a whole wall of greenscreen and the greenscreen is pre-lighted. The owner says we can record dialogue here and they wanr $1250 a day for a 10 hour day.

I think the first choice works for us and there is a changing room for the actors to get into costume.

Are these places worth it for shooting greenscreen with sound?

Make sure it isn't near a freeway or airport and go LISTEN for YOURSElF.

Of course, any used car owner or owner of a building will tell you "This car is perfect." or "You can record dialogue here no problem". Never take their word for it.

Go and check.

Check each and every power outlet and make sure it's good.

And, hate to break it to you, but a 10 foot walled ceiling is bound to create echo.

I'd bring as much deadening material as you can figure out. Even bring couches and padded furniture if you have to! All for sound's sake!

Not much else to say. Big empty rooms sound like big empty rooms unless some sound treatment has been done. Go and check the place out; you should know what to listen for by now. Ask if the studio has sound control; ask for a previous clients list, see what they have to say about the sound. Bring your audio kit and record while you check the place out.

And, as ROC said, check out the location; is it near an airport? Highway? Construction? Loading docks? Shipyard? Shooting range? Nuclear weapons test site? Volcano? Flatulence clinic?

No problem!

To give you an idea of how wacky locations can be:

I went and supervised the audio for a shoot for a film where they re-created an alleyway of Dubai and it was in the middle of LA.

The location was reported to me as being "perfect".

The moment I got there, I noticed the high-power powerlines passing right overhead. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Ruined the dialogue (to my standards).

Really hound the location scouts to LISTEN when they scout a location.

Last edited:
Back