Affordable Sound Stage

Please help me brain storm for affordable solutions. One of my crew guys found a sound stage that wants $1,000 for a 10 hour shoot day.

We are looking to work 8 hour days.

$1,000 per day is WAY too expensive for our budget. Maybe $100 to $200 a day is what I can spend for a location shoot.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Just to be clear: You will not be renting a stage for the 8
hour shoot. When you rent a stage you are renting it for
24 hours. Only mentioning that because you mentioned
8 hour days.

Do you need an empty stage? Or one with a specific, existing
set? Greenscreen stage? How large? Are you willing to head
into Jersey? Is $200/day you max? How many total days?

If we can get a greenscreen room for $200 a day, GREAT! I can bring my own greenscreen kit to a sound stage. 2 days max. We may be able to complete everything in one day. Recasting around flakes is taking away time I should be spending on shot listing and storyboards. I am way behind because of being months behind with a locked down cast.

Logistics in filmmaking is such an art.

I myself can't confront the chaos - that's why I have people call me and tell me where and when to show up.

I can refuel the post budget next year with my tax refund. My costs for production brings in a refund big enough to help with that. I will be buying stock footage of outer space and a science fiction special effects pack from TapeTube.com next spring and use the rest for custom CG and some sound stuff.

I am budegting to record VOs in a sound recording during rehearsal week. I know the hourly rate and factored that into the budget.

Obviously property is cheaper out here, but I've seen smaller warehouses a few miles out of the city for as low as $450 a month rent big enough to build sets in. Different ones will give different acoustics...

Are you shooting in the summer? Maybe rent a school cafeteria or? None of these places will have lights, but if you do have your own kit...

Is all you need a big empty room?

What kinds of scenes will be happening on the sound stage days?
How many days have you budgeted to acquire these scenes?

Obviously property is cheaper out here, but I've seen smaller warehouses a few miles out of the city for as low as $450 a month rent big enough to build sets in. Different ones will give different acoustics...

Are you shooting in the summer? Maybe rent a school cafeteria or? None of these places will have lights, but if you do have your own kit...

Is all you need a big empty room?

Room acustics are key. We are shooting greenscreen stuff where sound does not matter because the sound will be MOS and replaced with Artemis VOs in a martial arts dojo.

There are other scenes with dialogue where we must control the sound. So, we are looking for a sound stage. We will shoot any morphing scenes, laser vaporizing scenes, and some other special effects scenes in front of a greenscreen and replace the background with outdoor location footage we will shoot a week later.

Two days max is all we need for greenscreen. We may be able to shoot it all in a day, if everyone is on their game.

One to two days.

Outdoor special effects with morphing and laser blast disintergration.

Also the silver demon hunters will blast 3 cyborgs with a rocket and the cyborgs will emerge unharmed. We will greenscreen that scene.

Laser blasts, cyborgs being blasted with rockets and walking out unharmed, and morphing scenes where the green screen will be replace with outdoor backgrounds we will shoot on location a week later.

Guess the warehouse idea won't work then, sorry. I did see something though:

We will shoot any morphing scenes, laser vaporizing scenes, and some other special effects scenes in front of a greenscreen and replace the background with outdoor location footage we will shoot a week later.

If you can, try to get your plates and backgrounds first, that way you can light the foreground to match. Especially when outdoors.

We did some outdoor chromakey on the agent. We needed a few shots were he was separated from the background, so we set the camera up, shot the background, then moved a greenscreen in and shot the foreground. It blended splendidly, because it was the saneight from the same angles. Also, the audio you hen shoot outdoors would blend well with all of your other outdoor shots surrounding it.

Guess the warehouse idea won't work then, sorry. I did see something though:

If you can, try to get your plates and backgrounds first, that way you can light the foreground to match. Especially when outdoors.

We did some outdoor chromakey on the agent. We needed a few shots were he was separated from the background, so we set the camera up, shot the background, then moved a greenscreen in and shot the foreground. It blended splendidly, because it was the saneight from the same angles. Also, the audio you hen shoot outdoors would blend well with all of your other outdoor shots surrounding it.

Very good to know.

Thank you, Paul.

Back