Changing to shooting on SLR

Hey,

I'm changing from shooting on a canon XM2, to shooting on a Nikon D3100 SLR. Does anyone have any advice and/or experiences they can share with me about shooting with this camera or SLR's in general

Thanks

Make sure you're fully in control of all the manual settings. There's no white balance button, the aperture and ISO share a wheel (at least on the EOS range) and everything you need comes in fiddly drop down menus- so just make sure you're 100% familiar with the controls.

And, as gpforet mentions, make sure you have an external audio recorder.

Make sure you're fully in control of all the manual settings. There's no white balance button, the aperture and ISO share a wheel (at least on the EOS range) and everything you need comes in fiddly drop down menus- so just make sure you're 100% familiar with the controls.

And, as gpforet mentions, make sure you have an external audio recorder.

I was originally a photographer (and still am) before filming caught my eye so i'm fine with the controls :)

And external as in a shotgun mic? or external as in completely different thing to record audio, such as a sound recorder?

Yep, as I said an external audio recorder is something you'll need. You'll also need a microphone, no doubt, but what gpforet is referring to is something to plug the Rode Videomic into in order to record usable audio.

Yep, as I said an external audio recorder is something you'll need. You'll also need a microphone, no doubt, but what gpforet is referring to is something to plug the Rode Videomic into in order to record usable audio.

Ah yes, i seem to remember forgetting about that last time i got a camera

Thanks for the reminder both of you or i may have been slightly annoyed on the day lol

Here's some more:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=30990
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=30610

Abraxis, somewhere recently AlcoveAudio (IT's resident audio guru) put up a list of what he'd consider a minimum external system.
The price tag came out to be like $2500 or something.

I tried to find it but THPP! nothin'.

Ray

I think i remember seeing that, or i may have messaged him about it actually. Either way i think i'll have to put up with what i can get at the moment

Yeah, there's a certain expense threshold to determine if it's practical or not.
Duplicative results for additional expense just seem sorta stupid, to be blunt.

GL

We really need that "Recorders and Mics" sub-forum under "Tools of the Trade".

Back