• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio ---Rode Mic or Recorder?---

Okay guys I'm a totally lost, and I need to figure out what better suits my needs. I will be shooting a show, and I already have the camera set ups. I just need some audio. The place of the recording will be in my car.

Looking at a Rode Mic and the Zoom h4n.

I think the Rode mic will pick up too much noise..engine, ac, ect.

For the Zoom h4n, I read somewhere you can add two lav mics externally(there will be two of us). I know with the zoom I will need to later add the audio to the video.

Any other suggestions?

I will expand this show, once funding comes in...meaning will have sound guy/camera guy ect. This is just a segment when we are in a vehicle, just like you see on these tv shows.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with that one, but it seems to be a shotgun which wouldn't make it ideal for recording in a car. If you like Rode, get a used NG3 hyercardiod on ebay for about 120 bucks. It will work better than a shotgun for the interior of a car.

Why does everyone insist on buying? Why not rent what you need? Or buy the recorder and rent the mics. Or buy the mics and rent the recorder (my choice).

The Rode VMP is a high-end consumer mic. It is pretty good for what it is, but not a good choice for your shooting in a car.

Why does everyone insist on buying? Why not rent what you need? Or buy the recorder and rent the mics. Or buy the mics and rent the recorder (my choice).

The Rode VMP is a high-end consumer mic. It is pretty good for what it is, but not a good choice for your shooting in a car.

I'm thinking a recorder is what I need, I may rent some mics..pretty expensive for something so simple.

No, THESE are expensive...

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

I just shot with my brand new Tascam DR-100 yesterday... Man it feels good to get good audio! First of all being able to just stick the damn thing in your back pocket, or the back pocket of the guy who's doing audio with a boom mic.

It's easy, syncing though is a bit of a pain without a slate; but hey... it's doable with a tad of patience.

I'd go with the tascam dr100 :) it's worth every single penny!

ian

I just shot with my brand new Tascam DR-100 yesterday... Man it feels good to get good audio! First of all being able to just stick the damn thing in your back pocket, or the back pocket of the guy who's doing audio with a boom mic.

It's easy, syncing though is a bit of a pain without a slate; but hey... it's doable with a tad of patience.

I'd go with the tascam dr100 :) it's worth every single penny!

ian

Ha, thanks Ian I appericate your advice. I was actually checking that one out, and it's a little cheaper than the zoom h4n as well.

Back