Questions About T2i and T3i

Ok,

I'm a 15 year old filmmaker looking to get a new camera with great quality and I've decided a DSLR is my best bet (Impossible to change my mind considering I already bought some lenses for DSLR). Anyway, I've boiled down my choices to the T2i and T3i. I know there is another thread about this and I just read it, but I have a few more questions so if you would be so kind... :yes:

1. I understand that the T2i records video in h.264 which is highly compressed, and the T3i records in MOV. My question: is MOV format more or less compressed than h.264, and which would yield higher quality footage?

2. T2i has magic lantern which enables extra features for audio. I'm planning on using an external audio recorder so this is of no use to me. But is there anything else magic lantern can do for the T2i that may not be available on the T3i?

3. I've been looking around even on the Canon website and cannot find the supported frame rates for both cameras, can anyone tell me what frame rates they each support? or at least tell me if they do 1080p 60frames and 1080p 24 frames?

4. Price isn't a concern for me, with only a hundred dollar difference, I want a camera that will last and that will be the best I can get. If there is anything else you can tell me to help me decide between the two, Please Do So.

THANKS A TON

If you don't have any problem with price, get the T3i. It's brand new, same sensor, same everything pretty much, with a rotating screen - which someone told me is a MUST have when filming.

If the only difference is the flip screen, then that's really not worth it I would say. You don't need a rotating screen. Before the rotating screen, was invented cameramen were doing just fine.

1. I understand that the T2i records video in h.264 which is highly compressed, and the T3i records in MOV. My question: is MOV format more or less compressed than h.264, and which would yield higher quality footage?

No idea where you got this information from. All of the Canon DSLRs record video using the H.264 codec in a MOV wrapper.

2. T2i has magic lantern which enables extra features for audio. I'm planning on using an external audio recorder so this is of no use to me. But is there anything else magic lantern can do for the T2i that may not be available on the T3i?
A list of features of Magic Lantern on the 550D is available here.

3. I've been looking around even on the Canon website and cannot find the supported frame rates for both cameras, can anyone tell me what frame rates they each support? or at least tell me if they do 1080p 60frames and 1080p 24 frames?

From Canon's website…

"Video can be captured at a number of resolutions and frame rates for numerous applications. It can capture 1920 x 1080 Full HD video at frame rates of 24 (23.976), 25 or 30 (29.97) frames per second, for up to 4GB per clip. Movies are saved as MOV files and can be viewed in Full HD through the EOS Rebel T2i's HDMI output. Other recording sizes include HD at 1280 x 720 (50/60 (59.94) fps) or SD/VGA at 640 x 480 (50/60 (59.94) fps)."

The same is true for the 600D/T3i. Consumer cameras that shoot 1080p60 are pretty much non-existent.

4. Price isn't a concern for me, with only a hundred dollar difference, I want a camera that will last and that will be the best I can get. If there is anything else you can tell me to help me decide between the two, Please Do So.
While an upgrade will lose you the ability to use Magic Lantern (although this may change in the future), I think a flip-out screen is well worth a hundred dollars.

To be honest, Both cameras use the H.264 codec, and both wrap it up in .Mov.

I wouldn't pay more for the T3i, because if you are very serious about filming, you will end up getting an external monitor. I got an external lilliput which cost me 300 dollars, so Id rather get this if price isnt an issue. You can move that freely and it is 7"

I wouldn't pay more for the T3i, because if you are very serious about filming, you will end up getting an external monitor. I got an external lilliput which cost me 300 dollars, so Id rather get this if price isnt an issue. You can move that freely and it is 7"

Well, with these cameras, the problem with an external monitor is that you aren't monitoring in HD. For a small-time production (in which the director is also the camera-operator), I actually prefer the built-in viewfinder. I know a couple dudes who strongly prefer a Z-finder. To each his own.

Anyway, that being said, I would definitely prefer the T3i, simply for the moveable screen. Magic Lantern? A lot of people love it, but I'm chicken -- I feel more safe allowing my camera to just keep it's original condition.

Z-Finders are great because correct me if I'm wrong, it shows the full screen as opposed to a cropped one (like 95 percent or less) or the actual frame?

@Nick Hah! I didn't know how to put spaces in a link. It would get more if it didn't have the underscores.

Another question about the T2i or T3i!!... Do you guys have noticed that if you shoot with a higher shutter speed, let's say 125... or even higher, you get better quality images?... and... you can get a better film look... but again, the strobe effect isn't that good... what do guys think about it?...

Back