• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Help A Newb

Longtime lurker, first time poster

All of this is pretty new to me (hands on wise), however I've decided to start doing some projects upon purchasing some gear that is going to be best for the kind of work I intend to do. I've got a friend that I want to document his experience of getting his first hunting bow and plans to go hunting. I think it could be a neat doc. BUT, I mainly plan to do rock band and music oriented docs. Such as following a band on a tour, live video stuff, a recording session(s), etc....

I've got access to a Mac and PC. I've got JVC Everio GZ-HD500 camera. I've got alot of background in sound work (live music). I plan to get a Zoom H4n.

What I still need to decide on:
Mics
Mixer???
Lighting?

I will be doing most of the audio and video myself, usually. Just keeping that in mind. If anyone has tips, experience, or hints concerning doing the type of work I described doing above, it'd be great to hear.

. Just keeping that in mind. If anyone has tips, experience, or hints concerning doing the type of work I described doing above, it'd be great to hear.
Perhaps the reason you didn't get many replies is there are
tips, hints and discussions about personal experiences all
over these boards.

We have threads devoted to mic's, mixers and lighting.
You'll find tips, hints and experience on making documentaries
all over these boards.

Welcome from lurkland! Glad you're posting and asking
questions. As you know there are a lot of great folks here
willing to help, answer questions, offer tips and hints and
generally shoot the breeze with fellow filmmakers. Pop over
to the Cinematography & Lighting forum for some great tips
on lighting. There are some excellent tips, hints and experience
about all things audio over on the Equipment & Gear section as
well as the On The Set section.

You kind of buried you request in the screening room section.

What's your audio budget? What audio experience do you have? What audio gear do you already have? Will you have someone assisting you with the audio when you're out in the field?

Back