how can i learn 35mm camera use without school?

the ones that the pros use. it seems like it would be complicated but i also feel that if i just buy one and use it i will learn.

the ones that the pros use. it seems like it would be complicated but i also feel that if i just buy one and use it i will learn.

School to learn how to use a DSLR camera? No, that would be a waste. Google is your friend for forums and trial and error is what gets things learned, even for the pro's.

I would advise you to jump in and be kind to yourself. Heck, you're learning something new.

School to learn how to use a DSLR camera? No, that would be a waste. Google is your friend for forums and trial and error is what gets things learned, even for the pro's.

I would advise you to jump in and be kind to yourself. Heck, you're learning something new.

A DSLR is NOT a 35mm camera. To even rent a 35mm camera it can costs millions of dollars.

...if i just buy one...

Hope you've got a lot of spare change lying around.

If you could get yourself a job as a runner or a PA on a 'real' film set, you might learn some stuff. But I don't expect a professional DP would let somebody with absolutely no experience just have a play with hundreds of thounsands of dollars worth of kit...

A DSLR is NOT a 35mm camera. To even rent a 35mm camera it can costs millions of dollars.
Millions? Are you sure?

I guess it's different in England than here in the states. To even
rent a 35mm camera here costs about $2,000 per week. For an
eight week shoot that quite a but less than millions of dollars.

Give me a break, will you? I was just trying to help the guy. It's not typical for independent filmmakers to shoot on 35mm film camera's, is it?

I took my best shot. What's your advice to the original poster?
True, but he didn't ask about a DSLR he asked about a 35mm
camera - "the ones that the pros use". I'll take my best shot...

They aren't that complicated. Most of the people I have met and
worked with have learned to use the camera by working with a
camera assistant. Interns usually start as a loader (easy job) and
work their way up. You're right mad_hatter, no DP will let a PA
have a play with their camera, but most will hire an intern and teach
them.

Last edited:
Millions? Are you sure?

I think it was more a case of made up numbers than being that different over here. £200-300 a day is fairly normal, which works out to about the same as your figures.

When the OP referred to buying his own, I made a tragic assumption, but I wasn't being malicious. My apologies to the OP and anyone else I managed to offend.

On behalf of all casual viewers of this thread, apologies accepted :D

Obviously buying is out of the question unless you're Chuck Bass and I can't see what the problem with 'learning' to shoot digitally is?

It's a matter of debate but I don't think there's much mileage left in film or at least that's what I use as an excuse for not using it!

Can you say what you're trying to achieve or what type projects you have in mind? Give a bit more info and you might get some good answers.

Cheers
Gregg

Millions? Are you sure?

True, but he didn't ask about a DSLR he asked about a 35mm
camera - "the ones that the pros use". I'll take my best shot...

They aren't that complicated. Most of the people I have met and
worked with have learned to use the camera by working with a
camera assistant. Interns usually start as a loader (easy job) and
work their way up. You're right mad_hatter, no DP will let a PA
have a play with their camera, but most will hire an intern and teach
them.

thanks for the help. im looking to PA on some films this summer. i was just wondering because i read an interview with james cameron (from 30 years ago) and he just bought a 35mm camera and started learning it. now they are very expensive to get which is why everyones going digital. i just prefer the look of film.

thanks for the help. im looking to PA on some films this summer. i was just wondering because i read an interview with james cameron (from 30 years ago) and he just bought a 35mm camera and started learning it. now they are very expensive to get which is why everyones going digital. i just prefer the look of film.
I just bought a 16mm camera and started learning to use it when
I was starting out. If you want to follow directly in Cameron's footsteps
I see no reason not to buy a 35mm camera (or 16mm) and learn to
use it.

As you have seen from this thread, many people strongly advise against
using film. I don't quite understand why. If you want to learn to use a
film camera I believe strongly you should buy one and learn to use it.

You know that it will cost more than a digital video or SLR camera, but
you also know it's what YOU want to learn.

And by the way; comparatively speaking, a 35mm camera 30 years ago
was considerable more expensive than one today.

@OP:

If you have the money and can buy one, buy it and learn to use it through the studying and learning online, asking people on forums for advice and help, trial and error and working with more experienced people than yourself.

First get a camera, any camera, and learn how to shoot. When you have mastered, or at least gotten good at it, start looking into 35mm. Or better yet, 8 or 16mm first.
If you dive right into 35mm it will be a waste of film, time, and money.

@Psy To type about a 35mm camera, it costs millions of dollars. I hope you all have that money.

mm sold apart.

Back