Camera Camcorder Choice For Real

I have been looking at many different cameras and camcorders. I was really into the dslr but after checking others things out I am not as much. while you can get a canon 60d for about $1,000.00 and for that price its one of the best and you can add a lot of accessories to it when comparing a stock camcorder of equal quality that will be more expensive.

I own cheaper camcorders but I want to make a big upgrade. the thing about the canon dslr is the chip heating up. also all the accessories you need to get like external audio recording. how did a camera for photos end up making such great quality videos

here are my choices (remember any accessories also needed to get the best picture)

canon 60d
panasonic ag-hmc40
panasonic ag-hmc42
panasonic hmc-150
sonys of the same price range and other canons.

I am not to familiar with editing. I want to start making indepedent movies and shorts films and I am hungry to get things going.

my budget is $2000.00 but can be flexible a little.

I don't believe a camcorder is equal quality to a DSLR, but that's just my opinion. I consider things like having control of depth of field, getting to blur out backgrounds, foregrounds or pulling focus. Or getting to shoot in available light with a fast lens. Or using wide angles or telephotos .... All of these things make my DSLR footage FAR SUPERIOR to anything I ever shot with a camcorder.

As for needing a second sound recorder with DSLR? Sure, you do. But you do as well with a camcorder. At least some good mics.

Try this package.
-Panasonic GH1 - they're now selling body only for around $400.00 - or a kit (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...MC_GH1KBODY_Lumix_DMC_GH1_Digital_Camera.html) Next in line, try a Canon t2i, then download magic lantern. It's awesome!
-Zoom h4n - $299
-Rode NTG-3 shotgun kit $999( http://www.dvestore.com/products/DVcreator-Location-Sound-Package-4.html) (tell them customer laughingcrows sent ya, maybe that will get you a 5 or 10% discount)

As for new lenses, you can buy adapters for like $35 bucks. That would let you use old lenses on your camera. Hit the garage and estate sales, pawn shops, etc ....

And next time you get some dough, buy a field mixer to boost and monitor your sound levels. Spend at least $300 to $500, it will be worth it.

Good sound can make bad video look good. But bad audio will ruin anything.

Last edited:
ok would the extra money on a canon 60d be worth it. I actually like them. also is their a shotgun kit as good without sacraficing quality a little cheapier? if not that is fine because I want the quality.

Hey, thanks ROC.

Is the 60D worth the extra money? It's hard for me to say, I use the t2i. The only thing I covet on the 60D is the articulating screen. That would come in handy. But a small field monitor will solve that.

There is a cheaper shotgun kit, the Rode ntg-2. Some people swear by it. I have the ntg-3 kit and LOVE IT! (Just make sure you get the wind blimp with whatever kit you get)

Here's a comparison video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZc2HzKMSsw&feature=related

ok thanks a lot there is cleared up a lot. does panasonic have a body for around 900 that would really made a quality difference. I appreciate your time. as far as editing goes what is a good program to get great results without having to have a professional type experience without have film making school editing skills.

They have a panasonic GH2, but it's over $1,000. And it's a micro 4\3rds. For that money you might want to go with the canon 60D. Plus, you can hack the canon t2i, 60D and 5D II with a firmware called Magic lantern. They have a saying, we'll turn your $700 camera into a $2,000 beast. And it will. It adds ALL KINDS of new features. (don't forget to donate some bucks to the magic lantern guys)

As for editing ...? I still don't have my dream machine, so someone else will have to help there. However; I'm leaning towards the mercury rendering engine that comes with Adobe Premiere CS5.

Last edited:
They have a panasonic GH2, but it's over $1,000. And it's a micro 4\3rds. For that money you might want to go with the canon 60D. Plus, you can hack the canon t2i, 60D and 5D II with a firmware called Magic lantern. They have a saying, we'll turn your $700 camera into a $2,000 beast. And it will. It adds ALL KINDS of new features. (don't forget to donate some bucks to the magic lantern guys)

The GH2 retails for $900 for just the body, or $1000 with a kit lens. Micro 4/3rds doesn't have as many lens native lens options as the Canon EOS system, but its options are certainly growing. It also has far more options for adapting other lens mounts, including vintage Nikon and Canon lenses and cinema PL mount lens, which I would argue is actually better than the Canon EOS line. There is also a hack in the works for the GH2 as well, though it hasn't been released yet. As someone who owns a GH2 and has used the 60D on shoots, I tend to prefer the GH2. They're both great cameras, but I love the vintage lens options for my GH2, and the moire and aliasing issues that plague the Canon line aren't nearly as severe on the GH2.

dont mean to sound like an idiot but you can hack cameras? when you do that what does it improve?

You could probably find a hack for your microwave oven or electronic toothbrush. Anything that uses a computer chip needs a set of instructions or program to tell that chip how to perform. Those instructions can be changed or hacked. (you probably know that, but just in case ....)

You should search youtube or vimeo for magic lantern hacks. Also, I believe there's a hack for the gh1.

Bottom line; you get more features. For example, the canon t2i offers VERY FEW iso settings. This hack solves that. It also disables that pesky automatic audio gain canon added. Now you CAN record decent audio on camera, if need be. It also gives you zebra patterns, new focus features (and they are cool) time-lapse controls, bit rate control, etc ....

FYI, it's a bit of a risk upgrading your camera with this. You could trash your camera and it would not be covered under warranty. For me it was worth the risk.

Last edited:
Back