zenitar 16mm on T2i

I want one of these. I just did a search on ebay and there selling for around 200 - 250$$$ You got a great deal. I think im going to check out my local pawn shops this weekend.

Goob, RTFM bro.. :) Just teasing..

from the link posted with my top post...

http://etischer.com/zenitar/zenitar16mm.html

First thing I did was pull off the rubber grip from the focus ring. I loosened the three set screws that lock the focus ring to the focus mechanism (internal focus ring). I was able to get the "internal focus ring" to turn farther, and focus the lens closer to infinity. I focused as far as possible, reset the pointer on the focus ring to Infinity, and tightened the set screws. Apparently the focus ring was hitting a dead stop before the lens elements reached their full travel. This greatly improved the focus!! There was still improvements to be made though.

I noticed now when I focus to infinity the lens hood bottoms out on the focus ring. If I could fix this clearance issue, I could get even closer to infinity. Since the hood was crooked anyway, I took it off. The hood was held on with 3 tiny set screws. With the hood off, I could now focus the lens all the way to infinity (having loosened the focus ring again). I straightend out the hood, and screwed it back in place. Reinstalling the hood allowed the carriage to retract about 1/2mm more as seen in the picture below. The hood was straight now too. 1/2mm doesn't seem like much, but the carriage only moves about 1 1/2mm to cover its full range of focus ( 0.3m to Infinity).

These two steps took about 5 mins. Easy as cake, piece of pie. Whats not clear is HOW you turn the lens after you pull the focus ring screws out.. after loosening the screws, I just rotated the focus ring back a bit, this did NOT change focus, just where the focus ring aligned up.. then I tightened the screws back down in the WRONG position just long enough to turn the focus towards the infinity focus position, it didn't seem like it moved much, just a few mm but its enough to make it sharp at infinity. Once that was done, I re loosened the focus ring screws (without moving it off of infinity focus) and repositioned the indicators to line up correctly, then tightened it down. Take the lens hood OFF for this operation and then when your all done remount it when you have the lens in the infinity position.

This is much easier then I make it out to be.. if you get one, just PM your phone and time and Ill walk you though it, like I said, its a snap takes just a few mins.

Wow I never saw that link there haha. It seems complicated but I'm pretty good at tearing things apart. Your next lens project should be an anamorphic projector lens. They look pretty sweet.

Yea, on a crop sensor you lose modt of the fisheye since it's around the outer part of the frame. you got a steal Wheat.

Think we have talked about it before, but snatch up ANYTHING 85mmm prime you run across. Even the cheapest russian lens is worth well over $100.

80mm is the shiznet for portrait photography. Personally, I think 80mm is too long to be really useful for me on either of my crop sensor cams, but if one falls into my lap, well it will stay there! (that sound vaguely perverse, its not meant to be)

Back