Fat 16mm (F16)

This is 200 ft. of Kodak 7219 500T from Christmas 2010. Shot on my Eclair NPR U16. Lens was a S16 Switar 10mm.

This is a U16 negative scanned(Spirit Datacine) in a S16 gate. I like to call it "Fat 16mm or F16" It's a 3x2 aspect ratio and wider than R16. You also have a bit more negative with F16 when cropping to 16x9.

The uploaded file is 1080x720 and was resized from 1620x1080 that was cropped from the 1920x1080 full aperture scan of the negative.

http://www.vimeo.com/22536021

Film processed by: Cinelab.com

Spirit Datacine scanning by : ScanYourFilm.com

Last edited:
Why are you choosing that particular aspect ratio?

Heh, looks like a fun family Xmas there. Weird to see it without sound; they usually so noisy.

Have any plans or projects in mind for the Eclair? :cool:

When the U16 negative is in a S16 gate the resulting exposed negative area is slightly under 3x2 so it's quite easy to pull it to 3x2. I wanted to see the full negative area that's why the 3x2 aspect ratio. And if you crop the scan to 16x9 you end up with more negative to work with than R16 negative.

I am not suggesting that folks run out and convert there cameras to F16 but if you have a camera that's been converted to U16 there are some options, R16, F16 & U16.

The idea of U16 was to be a way for the older R16 cameras to get a wider negative so you could get 16x9 transfer. Most of these cameras are 100 ft roll cameras and the people experimenting with a couple hundred feet of film are hit with the high cost of minimums at the labs for processing and telecine. Scanning looks better than telecine but most labs charge so much that it's not an option for an Indie experimenting. Of course if you have a budget then that changes things. And to add even more to the cost, at most of the labs there is a download fee when transferring to HD which is the time it takes them to copy the file to your hard-drive.

Then I found ScanYourFilm.com they have no minimums, no download fees, no hidden costs just cost .01 per frame HD and .02 per frame 2K plus shipping. But they don't have the a U16 gate for there scanner, yet. Cinelicious in California has a modified S16 gate that they use to scan U16 but the cost is way out of my budget. This clip scanning cost me 93.00 with shipping. If Cinelicious scan on their Spirit it would have cost me close to 750.00.

I originally had a print of this made. We had so much fun watching it. I didn't think I was going to transfer it so I didn't use my H4 to record sound. Next time.

I've been writing scripts that are out of my budget for shooting film. I have 2500 feet of 7231(plus-X Negative) in my freezer, I need to write a short that's doable with this stock.

Last edited:
Back