T2i or T3i?

Ok so I've helped you with sound,

You help me with a camera.

What is better,

The T2i or T3i?

What makes it better?

Talk amongst yourselves.

T2i's best features are the lower price (especially buying used) and the ability tomrun Magic Lantern. It currently has a much larger user base.

T3i's best feature is the internal 3x zoom in video mode. It's also a year newer, so theoretically will be supported at least that much longer.

Interesting. :)

I'm thinking of getting either a T2i, a T3i or 60d for personal use on the road and with the family.

What do you think? Have you used all three of them?

I vote for the T3i. The swivel-screen is something I would very much like to have.

Haven't used one, but stuff I've read about the 60D is that it's only real advantage is that it's more sturdy than the T3i -- that's important if you're a photographer; doesn't really matter for a filmmaker. So, not worth the extra price, in my opinion.

I happen to love it. Focus assist, false color (for exposure), histogram, etc.

And I won the highly coveted Wheatgrinder Night Cinematography Challenge with it! :lol:

Correction dude, you won the right to pick Aprils challenge area becuase you came closet to guessing my 1970's TV show reference, but mostly cause I wanted someone else to do it..

Everyone's a winner in my Monthly challenge..

sorry to burst yer little pride bubble. ;)

I'd go for the T3i, especially if you're planning to buy new.

It never makes sense to me to buy older models of things. I'm sure there will be Magic Lantern for 600D at some point in the near future and that swivel screen is going to save a lot of hassle.

My advice.....hold out for the T4i ... just sayin..

i have the T2i and love it..Im sure the T3i has some improvements and better functionality.. if the price difference is in your budget for the T3i.. go for it !

Correction dude, you won the right to pick Aprils challenge area becuase you came closet to guessing my 1970's TV show reference, but mostly cause I wanted someone else to do it..

Everyone's a winner in my Monthly challenge..

sorry to burst yer little pride bubble. ;)

:( Oh, well. I better cancel that t-shirt order then. ;)

My sarcasm doesn't play too well with the written word. I was trying to telegraph it, but it didn't work.

I just went thru the same thing you're going thru, and after all was said and done, I bought the 60D.

I started looking at the T2I, and then the T3I because of the the flip out screen. I was kinda settled on the T3i. While I'm not sure there is such a thing as a perfect camera to do both stills and video, that's what I wanted. The one big set back for me with the T3i was that it has only one encoder which means I could set the wheel to control either shutter speed or apeture, having to hit another button to switch it from one to the other. I am a fairly competent photographer, and shoot 90% of the time using manual modes. Often times I'm juggling between apeture and shutter speed to get exactly what I want out of the shot and the idea of having to hit a button to switch the control wheel from one to the other seemed awkward. The 60D has two encoders, one on top for shutter speed, and one on the back for apeture. The 60D also has wireless flash control, which the T3i does not, and since I wanted this for headshots as well I knew I wanted wireless flash.

Lastly, while still not something I would use since at heart I am a location sound mixer with a full sound rig, the 60D does offer manual audio level controls with defeatable AGC, although the meters are not visible when shooting, and there is no monitor jack.

While not a major factor, the 60D feels more robust in the hand, and perhaps neither here nor there, does not carry the rebel label, but rather the EOS label.

I've had it for a little over a week and so far have no buyer's remorse about stepping up a bit. Best Buy had the camera and 22-135 f3.5 lense for $1195.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. :)

I'm thinking of getting either a T2i, a T3i or 60d for personal use on the road and with the family.

What do you think? Have you used all three of them?

No, not the 600D (which is how Europeans say T3i). The 60D is a different camera. It's like a halfway point between the T2i and 7D. Here's a handy article on it.

http://www.dvcreators.net/canon-t3i-vs-60d-which-one-should-you-buy/

I am aware that the 60D is a different camera. In the UK (and Europe) the T3i is released as the 600D.

EDIT: Wait, actually we're crossing wires here. I was just reacting to gpforet saying 'get the 60D because it's EOS not Rebel' by saying that the Rebel models (as you have in the US) carry the EOS branding over here in the UK...

Back