camera suggestion for portfolio

Hi I'm a recent film graduate from a cheap film school (University of Toledo). Now that I'm back home (Youngstown, OH), I don't have access to the equipment I had in school. I want to spend the next year working on my craft. I intend on moving to an area that produces more film/video work. By the time I move, I want to have material to show anyone interested in my work: whether for an individual job or even hiring company. I want to have a portfolio or an assortment of work.

I've sought help from former film advisors, high school teachers, fellow students and friends. So I thought I'd try indietalk too for some opinions. I've been sifting through the forums for a while now, so I thought if I'd detail my situation in a list, it would assist experienced forum members. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

-I'm more focused on featuring the content of my work, rather than the form. I want to highlight my style of acting, writing, but most importantly, the way I put together a piece of digital work, whether short skit, commercial, documentary, or short film. I realize the importance in the quality of the image, and I feel I have the necessary experience and knowledge to provide a decent quality, but it's difficult when your limited to equipment and funds.

-In school we used Canon xl2's. I really liked the wide range of manual functions for adjusting exposure and focus. I also liked the built in shotgun mic. But I can't afford to buy a xl2. So what I'm looking for is a cheaper version of the xl2.

-Also, I see the t2i is highly recommended for amateur filmmakers. But I'm still struggling to decide if it suits me. I see how nice the HD footage is, and I see how it's a great deal for that type of footage, but I have several concerns. I don't like how the continuous footage is limited to 12 minutes in a standard memory card. I'm still a little unclear about this, can you only store 12 minutes of video total? I also don't like how there is no built in feature for monitoring audio levels. I'm also worried about editing. I have a imac with around 3.3ghz of processing power and 4gb of RAM. I edit with FCP studio 9. Will editing be a hassle based on my set-up? I'm not concerned with how much space HD takes up, I'll get another external harddrive need be.

I guess what I'm looking for in a camera is:
-good range of adjustable functions for exposure, focus, and zoom
-good built in mic, or available ports for external mics
-works very well in low-light situations
-for a price range around $500 to $1000

I'm not trying to gather equipment to the extent of an independent contractor. However, if its highly recommended, I'll build up as I save more. I do want to try to get hired for local work: such as small business commercials, live events, documentaries. So I see the importance in visually stunning images to persuade people interested in hiring.

But the main need for this camera is to be able to be able to transfer my ideas to a visible/audible format, as painlessly as possible. I don't want the viewer to be distracted from the content because the quality of the video or audio is poor. I need a camera to sharpen my craft, and show what I can do if hired.

Here's examples of the type of work I produced, and want to continue producing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bp0kyOyz1E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgmPAtzy1Zk&feature=related

Any help, suggestions, opinions, comments would greatly be appreciated and considered! Thanks for reading!

Welcome.

In your price range you are severely limited. The audio on the
DSLR's is still quite poor - they are, after all, still cameras with
a video feature. Just to be clear, no matter how good the on
camera (built in) mic is, you won't get good audio when the
mic is next to the camera instead of close to the subject.

Then there's getting hired for small business commercials, live
events, documentaries. Now I do not know your local market -
perhaps a $1,000 camera will be good enough. But in general,
people earning money shooting small business commercials, live
events and documentaries are going to require a professional
camera. Not a $1,000 camcorder.

Okay, the cameras in your price range:

Canon R100
Canon HF M40
Panasonic HDC-TM700

You should easily be able to buy an XL2 (if that's what you really want) for around $1000. I see them in that range on craigslist virtually every day as people try and dump them while they merely viewed as "obsolete", before they become viewed as doorstops.

directorik:
thanks for the advice and camera suggestions! i started looking into these camcorders and i think they are what im looking for! but im still a little unclear about this: do you think my computer can handle editing the HD footage without it being an inconvienence?

sidewalkbowling:
i checked out that site and it does seem a little crooked so im not gonna give it a try.. but thanks for the info anyway!

gonzo:
i didnt realize xl2's were viewed that way.. but after reading your post, i agreed with what you said.. i can get much better for the price i was willing to spend on an xl2

directorik:
thanks for the advice and camera suggestions! i started looking into these camcorders and i think they are what im looking for! but im still a little unclear about this: do you think my computer can handle editing the HD footage without it being an inconvienence?
Yes. Your computer will be fine.

-Also, I see the t2i is highly recommended for amateur filmmakers. But I'm still struggling to decide if it suits me. I see how nice the HD footage is, and I see how it's a great deal for that type of footage, but I have several concerns. I don't like how the continuous footage is limited to 12 minutes in a standard memory card. I'm still a little unclear about this, can you only store 12 minutes of video total? I also don't like how there is no built in feature for monitoring audio levels. I'm also worried about editing. I have a imac with around 3.3ghz of processing power and 4gb of RAM. I edit with FCP studio 9. Will editing be a hassle based on my set-up? I'm not concerned with how much space HD takes up, I'll get another external harddrive need be.

It is true that many amateur and indie films are being shot on "HDSLR" cameras, as they're now called. Also true, the built-in mic on an HDSLR is going to be crap, but you should never be using that anyways, even on an XL-2 or any other professional/prosumer camera; that's where external mics come into play. The shotgun mic will get you good audio, but not mounted to the camera. The only reason you should be using that setup is to record ambient sound around the camera, such as sports, nature, etc., where you aren't recording someone's voice from afar. For recording voice, you're going to want to use a shotgun on the end of a boom pole, lavalier mic, or a condenser type such as the Zoom H1 or H4n setup close to the actors.

Regarding the recording times, it's 12 minute increments, not just 12 minutes total, or it would be impossible to shoot any kind of film worth watching aside from a small skit or short, and large SD storage cards would be pointless.

For your camera situation and what you'd like to do with it, I'd say purchase the highest-quality camera you can while still budgeting for necessary accessories, such as a good, sturdy tripod with a nice fluid head, an external mic setup, storage cards, an external H.D., good case/protection, and maybe other stabilization accessories. I just bought a Canon T3i, and was able to purchase all of that including the camera for just around $1400.

Good luck with your filming, and if you have any more questions just ask!

Back