• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Sky Turned Red - Trailer for my upcoming short doc.

Um, nothing happened.

And the sky didn't turn red.

You're using an anamorphic adapter? It looks too wide. A 2x adapter on a 16x9 sensor gives 3.55:1 ratio. The sides should be cropped, in my opinion anyway.

I'm intrigued. So that's a pretty good start. Best of luck!

Thanks alot man - really put this together because I'm working on it as a piece commissioned by a local council and I wanted to give them a taste of where I was going.

Um, nothing happened.

And the sky didn't turn red.

Seriously? I post something looking for genuine feedback and discussion and you post this, if I post a thread or something in the future I'd appreciate a bit more respect than this.

You're using an anamorphic adapter? It looks too wide. A 2x adapter on a 16x9 sensor gives 3.55:1 ratio. The sides should be cropped, in my opinion anyway.

This however is fine, I didn't shoot on an anamorphic adapter, I cropped it down in post, the framing and composition where all done with this in mind. The idea behind this and the film itself is that you are almost peering through into the type of place you would never get the opportunity to go, so I wanted it to feel as though you weren't really seeing 100% of the picture.

Let me preface this by saying that that was really nicely shot and put together. In short it looked beautiful.

However- I kind of agree with pol in that nothing really happened. This isn't a problem it's just very difficult to work a trailer like that. The point of the trailer has to be to sell the final product. Is your final product going to be a short film of lingering shots around a metalworks? Or is it going to be a documentary as it says on the Vimeo page?

If it is the latter then I think you need to add some more content to the trailer. A documentary about a metalworks in Walsall is always going to be a tough sell but you need to actively show what you are selling. Even the title feels a little incongruous at the moment. I'm sure there's a reason why it's called 'The Sky Turned Red' but I think you need to show us a little bit more. At the moment it feels like you're deliberately holding back in a JJ Abrams teaser sort of way- I just think for this it might work better to give the audience more to work with.

A bit stagnant - no idea what it's about...

Add some movement - excitmet, sorry but I look forward to seeing the next attempt - all the best, Jim.

Back