• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch stencils: a look into the artwork of Elijah Jennett

Hey everyone!
I'm a videographer from San Jose, California.
I'm new here at indietalk; This is my first post!
Anyways I have a few projects that I'd like to show and see what everyone thinks. Here is the first I'd like to show. Please leave comments and let me know what you think! Enjoy!

Here is the link; I'm not sure how to embedd the youtube video so it is viewable within the thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcJJgx0gvtw

A mini interview/documentary I shot with Elijah Jennett, showcasing some of his previous works, as well as giving an inside look on his everyday workflow. His artwork has been on the rise within the bay area, and any underground San Jose art-head should know his name.

music by:
Pretty Lights
Odd Nosdam
Nosaj Thing

direction and production by: Matt Posada
key grip: Damian Zamora
paint: Elijah Jennett

Last edited:
An incredibly beautiful and well made mini-doc. This is top notch work.

The artist you're following is interesting too.

Very nice. Terrific production value, and though it may be a tad long, it's edited really nicely.

The one thing that bugs me about the editing are the jump-cuts in the interview footage. I realize that a lot of people are doing that these days, and that it's a normal thing that audiences are accustomed to seeing. Nevertheless, I still think it can take an audience out of the moment. Even a documentary benefits from The Fourth Wall. With each of those jump-cuts, you remind the audience that they are watching an edited movie. My opinion -- cutaways work better for that kind of edit.

Very slick mini-doc! The shallow DOF is very noticeable.

On the YouTube board you said the camera was a canon 5D. I'm curious about the lenses.

1) I noticed some focus pulling in a couple a shots. Still lenses are supposed to be prone to "breathing". Yet I could detect none in your shots. Is lens breathing a thing of the past?

2) There were a few very wide angle shots with that cool curvy distortion. Was that a 11 mm?

Cracker Funk: Thanks for the critique/feedback. It is much appreciated!

Theo: 1. I don't know what you mean by lense 'breathing'? Please elaborate.
2. The shots with the curvy distortions are actually fisheye shots. I used Canon's 15mm Fisheye.

I only used two lenses: The Canon 50mm f1.4 prime, and the Canon 15mm fisheye. I want to get a wider lens soon as I am begining to work on my first serious short film with a classmate.

Michael: Thanks for watching! I have another one up here on this same forum entitled, "Yokanaan Martins: The Capitola Juggler" Feel free to check it out and leave a post! If you like, you can check out my youtube page as well at http://www.youtube.com/mattposada. I'll definitely be posting future projects up on this forum too!

-Matt Posada

What's up matt, good stuff posting your work on this site, knew people would appreciate your movies, alot of helpful knowledge here, now we gotta get Daniel to start posting

I liked this, Matt; partly because I love the short doc format and partly because I've done a lot of stencil and spray paint artwork myself. I dig his design/abstracts a bit more than I do the portraits, but it's all wonderful work.

I'm familiar with a bunch of film folks up in the San Jose area. Seems like there's a lot going on production wise.

What's next?

Oh, your company logo is slick!

@mattposada

From wikipedia:
Breathing refers to when a lens' optics change the apparent focal length slightly when shifting the mechanical focus. Some (often more expensive) lenses are designed to lessen the degree this effect. Lens breathing does not prevent one from racking focus or following focus with this lens, but it lessens the desirability of any type of focus adjustment, since it noticeably changes the perspective and composition of the shot.

Here's a video showing the effects of lens breathing:
http://vimeo.com/7424284
It looks like some kind of jitter.

The more expensive lenses mentioned in the wikipedia article are probably "cine lenses". That's the kind of lens used by movie professionals. My guess is that most people in this forum use "still lenses". Besides breathing reduction there are other differences between cine and still lenses.

Back to your movie:

You're racking focus at 0:40 and 1:25. The first time there's some motion but to me it looked like the camera was hand-held. The second time it's all smooth, no jitter, no nothing (at least on my small computer screen). So maybe your canon 50mm f1.4 is not prone to breathing.

I really liked the last piece of music in your doc.

You're showing Elijah Jennett working at some floral design. I would love to see him work at a portrait from start to finish. Maybe another doc.

Back