Help! Trying to decide on a 16mm or Super 8mm camera!

Hey guys. I'm a still photographer that shoots film and film only. Recently, after seeing a few great movies with great cinematography, I became interested in the idea of shooting some motion film. I'm trying to decide whether I should get a Super 8mm or 16mm camera, and which camera in particular I should buy.

I'd like to be able to sync sound recorded separately with the footage. I heard that this might be possible with a Super 8 camera like a Nizo or something. Are there any particular Nizo models I should look for over others, and where should I look to buy one from? Ebay? Any suggestions for other Super 8 cameras are quite welcome.

I'd also like the camera to have manual controls, meaning manual shutter speed and aperture controls. I don't want it to choose the "right" exposure for me.

As far as 16mm goes... sound's a little less important because I figure at least I'm getting better quality. I could go with a cheap K-3 and modify it for Ultra 16, or I could save up and spend quite a bit on a CP-16 or Eclair and worry about converting it to Ultra/Super later.

Thanks, I need advice!

Welcome!

In order to sync both super 8 and 16mm to an external audio
recorder you will need a "sync" camera. What you will be looking
for is a camera that uses "crystal sync". Very few super 8 cameras
had this but some were modified. Many 16mm cameras have this
feature including the Eclair.

I had a crystal sync motor installed in my Beaulieu 4008 ZM II and I
have used the Crystal Control Unit made by The Film Group on my
Nikon R10 and Canon 1014XL-S.

My suggestions for 16mm would be the Eclair NPR, the Canon Scoopic
or the CP-16. I own an Eclair and the Beaulieu R16 with I love.

What about the Arri 16BL? I found one that says it was recently serviced for around the same price of a Cp-16 or Eclair. Thanks for your response.

Also, will the Super 8 yield good enough results if I have them scanned by Cinelicious? They have a great sample (I think called 'The Journey') but I wonder if I'd be able to get any results looking that good. Basically I just don't know whether I should go for the ease of use and maybe lower cost of Super 8 or just go with 16mm.

Last edited:
What about the Arri 16BL? I found one that says it was recently serviced for around the same price of a Cp-16 or Eclair.
Arri makes excellent cameras.

Also, will the Super 8 yield good enough results if I have them scanned by Cinelicious? They have a great sample (I think called 'The Journey') but I wonder if I'd be able to get any results looking that good. Basically I just don't know whether I should go for the ease of use and maybe lower cost of Super 8 or just go with 16mm.
It's a difficult decision and an impossible question to answer.

As you know, it isn't the camera that yields good results, it's
the experience and skill of the people using the camera. I love
super 8, I'm prepping a feature now to be shot on super 8 for
only one reason - I love the way it looks. I have hired a DP who
is experienced using super 8 to make sure I get good enough
results.

As a still photographer you have a slight advantage over someone
who has never used film so that will help. And (I know you also
know this) super 8 and 16mm are different so will yield different
results. Even using the same 16mm negative stock cut to use
in super 8 cartridges under the same lighting will yield different
results.

Since you don't have the option of testing different cameras and
different film stocks and different telecine options I would say that
using 16mm film will be "better". But then, "better" is subjective.
I have the option of shooting super 8, 16mm, 35mm or HD and I've
chosen super 8 for this project. I wouldn't make that choice for a
different project.

But super 8 sure looks amazing. To me anyway.

Thanks for your reply. I'm still trying to decide but I'm getting closer to making my mind up. I imagine I'll settle on 16mm, but we'll see. I get so tempted when I see the real-deal cameras like the CP16, Eclair, and Arri 16BL.

I have an Eclair NPR(crystal-sync) and a K3(wind-up) both opened up to Ultra 16mm. I love them. I love film!

IMO there is nothing like super8 it stands alone. As Directorik said it "looks amazing".

The key is picking the right look for the project.

Good luck in your quest.

Thanks guys. I've decided I'll go with 16mm (maybe super or Ultra in the future) but don't know whether I should buy a non-sync camera like the cheap K-3 or go all out and buy an Eclair, CP16, or Arri 16BL. I can see myself in the future wanting a sync camera but I'm not entirely sure I need it now. What do you think?

Also, where can I find batteries+charger for the Eclair NPR and what kind works?

Last edited:
Actually guys, I got a GREAT deal on an Eclair... too good to pass up. Only thing I need is a battery - can anyone help me with that? It's got a crystal sync motor of course.

If I end up thinking I won't need the NPR at some point I could sell it and downgrade, but I doubt I'll want to do that.

i picked up a super 8 from a thrift store for 10$ last weekend. Probably gonna spend another 100$ ordering film for it off the internet, but I agree film looks better.

I'm gonna have the developers convert it to mpegs then sync up the audio on my computer, as abominable as that sounds, I think it'll be nifty.

Back