T3i / 600D shutter and color experimentation

This is a video I put together when I was testing out shutter speed 1/200. I also experimented with color adjustments trying to pull a vibrant yet clean look. My hope is to be able to replicate what some of the red giant software such as magic bullet mojo, can do, with vegas color settings only. This is actually my first real attempt at color adjustments. Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIlRlnHN8-Q

Currently only using vegas movie studio 10 trial....BUT I ordered vegas pro 10 from bhphoto for only $220! Cant wait to get it tomorrow :D

Last edited:
Wow I'm dumb. haha. I just poped my mem card back in to check and it was set to 200....So that was at 200...I must have gotten confused because just before that I was shooting with everything above 1/1000 but never actually put those shots in. My bad, time for an update on this post. I will add that if the camera is still or moving very slow it doesnt look to bad, but if you move it quick, you will get a choppy effect.

I think the reason I was testing over that speed was to see if increasing your shutter would decrease the amount of rolling shutter.

Wow I'm dumb. haha. I just poped my mem card back in to check and it was set to 200....So that was at 200...I must have gotten confused because just before that I was shooting with everything above 1/1000 but never actually put those shots in. My bad, time for an update on this post. I will add that if the camera is still or moving very slow it doesnt look to bad, but if you move it quick, you will get a choppy effect.

I think the reason I was testing over that speed was to see if increasing your shutter would decrease the amount of rolling shutter.

Even if it did, the tradeoff is too high. The solution to rolling shutter is smooth controlled camera movement.

Even if it did, the tradeoff is too high. The solution to rolling shutter is smooth controlled camera movement.

Yeah, I found that one out. But I was just testing possibilities. If someone wanted to shoot an action scene where the camera guy is running with the actor, smooth controlled camera movements I would think fly right out the window.

I totally embrace the idea of trying to do the MB thing with only native tools. Your getting a nice skin tone with those deep greens all around. Its seems a bit too contrasty and you might be too close to clipping black\white... but looks good on my little screen..

regrading the intent of the test... An interesting alternative might be to lower the shutter speed. The theory being that a bit more motion blur might HIDE some of the jello. Particularly say on a tripod mounted whip pan where you follow a subject moving across the field of view.

I believe where the high shutter might be good is if you use some de- jello post tools, I hear they exists, I imagine it would be easier to process a nice CLEAN frame over a blurry mush..

Wheat - Yeah, I discovered vegas pro 10 actually has a rolling shutter fix tool. But I will let you know later on how well that works.

Gonz - Yeah I wouldn't have minded adding some artistic transitions...but the trial I used to make that just was not working well for synchronizing. I would have liked to have the clips at least match beats in the song, but it just wasn't possible. Hopefully vegas pro will be a different story in those regards.

I will be uploading a couple screen shots for comparison as to what I had to work with and what I got in that video.

Before:
5548165244_653b7280e6_b.jpg

After:
5548165862_42c5c19fe6_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah no kidding! It was hard as heck even trying to tell if I was in focus from there being so much glare on my screen. I might have to make myself a little diy removable screen enclosure.

Do you or does anyone else know how to export a plug-in chain from vegas so if I wanted to share it with anyone else they could use it in their project?

Never-mind. I discovered Sony makes an app for that...Jeez, you think that would just be part of it rather than a separate program.

Last edited:
Beautiful end result on that CC'd pic up top, about to watch the vid too...that was very nice. On stable shots, especially the flowing creek, the higher shutter looks really good... on more motiony stuff, I'm sure it'll seem stroby though. Nice rich colors!

Back