• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Dérive

Hey guys!

Here's my latest uni project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMz5JO-wDhc&hd=1

I mainly produced this piece but I also had input on cinematography and operated the second camera. Also did all the after effects work and colour grading.

There's a lot of problems during this project, our crew was a bit unreliable at times - Our editor left on the Thursday before deadline (deadline was Wednesday) and came back on the Tuesday morning. We managed to just about get a final edit down by the Monday night, then it was all a bit of a mad rush to colour grade, hence the poorness in some shots!

Could have been great if we had a bit more time (and recorded the interviews somewhere with less noise! :lol:)

Regardless, hope you all enjoy!
-Antony

That was good. A little bit long, I finally had to move along. Perhaps more drama in the middle leading up to ... something?

That was good. A little bit long, I finally had to move along. Perhaps more drama in the middle leading up to ... something?

Thanks for watching.

The required length was to be no less than "5 minutes", so even though desirable as it may be to have cut it a little finer, it was forbidden to do so.

The one thing we all wanted from the material was for not to seem forced, more a "Day in the life", rather than trying to convey a message, or muster anticipation for a big reveal. In doing so -with what was said previous- hoping- without sculpting any pretences that would determine the audience- that the small, authethic and honest insight into their art is foreseen as just that, an art form.

Thanks again for checking it out, much appreciated.

I loved the slo-mo silhouetted shots. They were gorgeous.

The whole thing looked fantastic but I kind of agree with pol (and I see the problem about required length) that it started to drag a wee bit in the middle.

But I think that's perhaps a fundamental problem of artistic documentaries and the cinematographic point you were making was excellent so it wasn't such a problem.

I loved the slo-mo silhouetted shots. They were gorgeous.

The whole thing looked fantastic but I kind of agree with pol (and I see the problem about required length) that it started to drag a wee bit in the middle.

But I think that's perhaps a fundamental problem of artistic documentaries and the cinematographic point you were making was excellent so it wasn't such a problem.

Cheers for watching, Nick.

Side note:

I think the "desired length" is a hindrance. I've had this discussion before with Antony, but i'm not a student at the University so it's not of my concern. I just feel that it will hinder almost all of the material from the students, asking a student with little-to-no experience to churn out a "5 minute" short film and no below, is beyond me, even the more experienced students."Quality", not "Quantity" .Ofcourse, you can have the arguement that it's needed prepartion to learn how to captivate an audience for longer periods, hone your craft to longer times...I just happen to disagree with the method, is all.

It would appear a "Leap", when only "steps" are needed to truly build, and assemble your craft.

A perfect example of what is next for us, "Micro-shorts". Solid production value, polish our style. That's our goal, only then will we progress into serious short-film making.

So perhaps it's merely preference of pacing, but i would be disheartened at this point, and imagining the point i was at studying film in college, to put forward a five minute short. We're not ready.

Last edited:
Loved it. It felt more to me like the beginning of a longer documentary (which I would have kept watching) than a short docu piece in and of itself. But hey, like the one guy said at the end, he's not gonna go anywhere with it so...

I loved how at the end there are those people walking under him and they never look up and see this awesome thing above them. What a shame. :P

Loved it. It felt more to me like the beginning of a longer documentary (which I would have kept watching) than a short docu piece in and of itself. But hey, like the one guy said at the end, he's not gonna go anywhere with it so...

I loved how at the end there are those people walking under him and they never look up and see this awesome thing above them. What a shame. :P

Thanks, Dready.

It was a heart-in-mouth moment when i first saw the shot. Fascinating to watch, huh?

Very interesting piece, particularly to hear about it from their own perspective. Great shooting. What camera were you using? Loved the titles at the end, as well as the shot itself.

Well done.

Very cool. Beautiful camera work, and yeah, especially those slo-mo silhouetts (Nick, I hope you spelled that correctly, cuz I copied you).

I agree 100% that it's kind of backwards for a teacher to say minimum 5 minutes. I'd say maximum 5 minutes is more appropriate, maybe minimum 3. Anyway, working under that constraint, I do actually see what Nick and polfilm are getting at, and for me, it's not the length, but the pacing. In my opinion, this problem that we're pointing out has nothing to do with length, but in the editing of the narrative. I think if you simply give us more to listen to, more to think about, in the same span of time, our brains will stay connected. Especially since we've got such terrific visuals to accompany the narrative.

Speaking of narrative, I'm looking forward to when you guys cross over to it.

Very cool. Beautiful camera work, and yeah, especially those slo-mo silhouetts (Nick, I hope you spelled that correctly, cuz I copied you).

I agree 100% that it's kind of backwards for a teacher to say minimum 5 minutes. I'd say maximum 5 minutes is more appropriate, maybe minimum 3. Anyway, working under that constraint, I do actually see what Nick and polfilm are getting at, and for me, it's not the length, but the pacing. In my opinion, this problem that we're pointing out has nothing to do with length, but in the editing of the narrative. I think if you simply give us more to listen to, more to think about, in the same span of time, our brains will stay connected. Especially since we've got such terrific visuals to accompany the narrative.

Speaking of narrative, I'm looking forward to when you guys cross over to it.

Cheers, CF. I'll pass on your thoughts. :)

P.S A Micro-short is on the way within the next four weeks. St-t-t-toked.

This is easily one of the best videos I've seen in this forum. It's as good as any professional documentary I've watched. Beautifully photographed. I love the twilight shots.

I have a request if it's not too much trouble. I'm trying to understand what "color grading" is. Could you post an ungraded image and next to it the graded version? If it's too much trouble forget it.

Congratulations on your achievement! It's a great piece of work!

Last edited:
This is easily one of the best videos I've seen in this forum. It's as good as any professional documentary I've watched. Beautifully photographed. I love the twilight shots.

At the very end it looks like the guy is falling from quite a height. I hope he didn't get hurt.

I have a request if it's not too much trouble. I'm trying to understand what "color grading" is. Could you post an ungraded image and next to it the graded version? If it's too much trouble forget it.

Congratulations on your achievement! It's a great piece of work!

Thanks for the kind words, bud.

It's a real busy week for us, so we'll try help you out later toward the latter. (I believe it was edited between two people, on two seperate systems) so i'll ask around.

Try out the searchbar, there's plenty of indepth discussions on "Colour grading" with exactly what you're looking for.

Best of luck.

That was well done. Really nice. And yes the slow mo sillos were excellent. I think there are a few sound pops and trims I would work on...but other than that, great mate.

That was well done. Really nice. And yes the slow mo sillos were excellent. I think there are a few sound pops and trims I would work on...but other than that, great mate.

Cheers, Michael!

Completely agree on the sound pops, i believe Antony addressed the matter in the OP, very unfortunate.

Thanks again for watching. :)

Nice. I can see how well you are using all the new equipment we've talked abt. Im really impressed that its been used sparingly and appropriately where needed to enhance your message and feel (instead of the usual thing when somebody gets a steadicam for example and the next short has 70% steadicam shots lol.)

The shot between the arches with Derive was excellent! It brought a smile to my face knowing how everyone must have felt when watching it in the editing room. Wonderful colour grading as well! I like to do a lot of silhouettes against the sky as well and i enjoyed them tremendously!

Back