Time To Declare War on The "Shaky-Cam"

An article in Salon by critic Matt Zoller Seitz. It's a blistering attack on Blair-Witch-style camera movements as exemplified most recently by "Battle: Los Angeles."

All I can say is OUCH and amen.

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/...ies/film_salon/2011/03/15/battle_la_shaky_cam

Excerpts:

How to describe the aggressive dreadfulness of "Battle: Los Angeles," maybe the worst-directed Hollywood movie I've ever seen? Incompetent doesn't do the trick, because it implies an inability to master basic craft. That's not the case here. "Battle: Los Angeles" takes one of the more controversial cinematography fads of recent years -- the "shaky camera and shallow focus equals 'reality'" fad -- to noxious new levels of excess. The movie is the work of professionals who decided to make their film look bad on purpose.

[...]

To call this approach amateurish would libel amateurs. A quick check of YouTube will reveal many taped records of spectacular and terrifying events where the camcorder or flip phone is rock-steady, there's depth of field, everything is in focus, and the shot holds for 10 seconds, a minute, two minutes or longer -- characteristics that actually intensify the level of fear, awe and helplessness, because they let you imagine yourself into another physical space and see where objects and people are in relation to each other.

[...]

Simply put, this crap is transparently cynical and opportunistic and has become totally played-out since 1999's "The Blair Witch Project," arguably the hit that made home video panic-cam an official, approved technique in mainstream productions. But 12 years later, directors who keep treating it as an aesthetic security blanket -- especially at the big-budget level -- should be required to get a tattoo across their foreheads that reads "Hack." Get yourself a tripod. Make a shot list. Think about where you're putting the camera and why you're putting it there, and try to redirect the audience's attention by moving the camera or refocusing rather than cutting every three to five seconds. Stop covering action. Start directing again.

etc.

Amen. I hate shaky-cam cinematography.

Didn't ruin "Battle: LA" for me, though. I actually rather enjoyed that movie. I just had to sit farther back in the theater than I normally do.

Anyway, I think this article is spot-on.

That was really interesting, and said a lot more than just "SHAKYCAM SUX LOL" as I've read elsewhere. The argument about Saving Private Ryan and the Bourne trilogy carrying it off where the others fail was a particularly salient one - there's nothing wrong with imitation when it's done well and for a reason.

*Shakey, hand-held camera* IS a legitimate aesthetic, but it's rooted in French New Wave rather than documentary...so, using this technique as a mimic of docu seems a bit contrived. I, personally, find it annoying, and should definitely be used sparingly to have any kind of real dramatic impact. What really, really bugs me are extreme closeups cut one after the other and right on dialog. It seems to destroy the environment set up with previous sequences and the viewer loses their bearings until the next master shot of sorts.

This is a great article, but I can't lump all handheld shots together as one style.

I saw a clip of "Battle LA" when the actor was on some talk show, and I turned to my wife and told her I can't stand films like this. Action films like this I just can't follow...I have no idea what is going on in the big sequences. Perhaps it's my defect as a viewer, but I don't like watching them. They don't engage me as a viewer at all. I'm put off. Shaky closeups of the bridge of an actor's nose followed by shaky mediums of explosions. For big action sequences, I like to see them play out in their entirety.

But a handheld film like "The Wrestler" is forever engaging. No one ever complains about The Wrestler, and that whole film was shot handheld (if I remember). This is the kind of handheld style that is rooted in French New Wave, as Bird points out. Cassavetes made great use of this style as well. Rather than put me off, it engages me not because it looks like a documentary but because you wind up feeling like you're right there in the frame. This style, done well, transcends the technique, which is as lofty a goal as any art can aspire.

Great documentary style homages can also use handheld shots but they look more like documentaries, where the camera operators are doing their best to hold shots steady. Recently I was thrilled by "The Last Exorcism" which made great use of the sort of found-docu-footage style. Handheld, but by trained operators.

The sort of shaky cam used in these action pictures doesn't look like anything, doesn't serve any purpose but confusion as far as I can tell. Confuse the viewers because nothing large scale has been set up?

I'd like to second Adeimantus's "amen." Can we have a vote? T-shirts and bumper stickers should be issued: "STOP COVERING ACTION...START DIRECTING AGAIN."

Hate the "shaky cam" movies. That technique is generally just a distraction to keep us from thinking about HOW BAD the story is. Of course I expect that look in short bursts for action. But all in all, I boycott shaky movies.

*Shakey, hand-held camera* IS a legitimate aesthetic, but it's rooted in French New Wave rather than documentary...so, using this technique as a mimic of docu seems a bit contrived. I, personally, find it annoying, and should definitely be used sparingly to have any kind of real dramatic impact. What really, really bugs me are extreme closeups cut one after the other and right on dialog. It seems to destroy the environment set up with previous sequences and the viewer loses their bearings until the next master shot of sorts.

Caution, overly pedantic film history post in 3 ... 2 .. 1 ...

Actually, the FNW directors picked up that style from the neo-realists which slightly pre-date them (but not by much, there's some overlap). Post-WWII films like "Paisan" and other NR works were most certainly inspired by documentary work, which begins as early as 1922 with "Nanook of the North." The FNW directors were critics and writers (most of them) all hanging out together getting drunk, chasing women, and having pedantic conversations about cinema style. Once they started making stuff they had an entire catalog of interesting ideas and conventions to attempt to bash.

And back to our regular conversation:

HH style can work really well, take the flashback scene of the cop being beaten under the bridge in "Narc", for example. Heck, I'll wager there's some HH stuff that a lot of people don't realize is HH.

I agree that it's currently overused and taken to an extreme in a lot of work these days though. I also think to disregard any movie with HH operating as a "skakey cam" film is, well, somewhat short-sighted. Who here thought the HH cinematography in The Wrestler was distracting - or a cheap way to cover up a bad story? Anyone? I'll buy the former (though I disagree), but I challenge anyone to say the latter of that film. Though I respect anyone willing to be that wrong. ;)

Last edited:
Caution, overly pedantic film history post in 3 ... 2 .. 1 ...

Actually, the FNW directors picked up that style from the neo-realists which slightly pre-date them (but not by much, there's some overlap). Post-WWII films like "Paisan" and other NR works were most certainly inspired by documentary work, which begins as early as 1922 with "Nanook of the North." The FNW directors were critics and writers (most of them) all hanging out together getting drunk, chasing women, and having pedantic conversations about cinema style. Once they started making stuff they had an entire catalog of interesting ideas and conventions to attempt to bash.
Okay, I'll give you that and raise you the argument that hand held camera technique can be traced back to the silent era. My argument is that the hand held aesthetic became institutionalized with the French New Wave. There was a concerted effort to make 'hand-held' part of the language of filmmaking by this coterie of New Wavers.

Just wanted to add to David's post that I'd definitely make a distinction between handheld and "shakycam" - the vast majority of handheld work isn't the latter, which I'd define as purposefully moving the camera more than it has to.

With all general blanket statements, you've got to step back and examine the exceptions.

Star Trek 2009 had the director deliberately bongo-drumming on the Panavision cameras during intense moments -- which I never even noticed in the theater. It's in the special features, and he does it quite a bit.

But Star Trek looks amazing, the way a sci-fi movie should look: high contrast (film), wide anamorphic lenses, slick camera movement following the action. This film worked on the big screen, which is pretty much undeniable.

And yet, the director bongo drummed on the frickin' camera repeatedly. He did it very precisely though, and they admitted that he was the only one who could get the right effect -- not too hard, not too regular, I suppose.

Crappy unstable camera movement is another thing altogether.

I don't hate handheld. I hate it (as a general rule) when a shot is intentionally shaky -- when the camera operator very well could've kept the shot more stable, but the director wants shaky. That, to me, is "shaky-cam". It's like an experienced camera operator is trying their best to mimick some shmuck who just picked up a camera for the first time.

I don't hate handheld. I hate it (as a general rule) when a shot is intentionally shaky -- when the camera operator very well could've kept the shot more stable, but the director wants shaky. That, to me, is "shaky-cam". It's like an experienced camera operator is trying their best to mimick some shmuck who just picked up a camera for the first time.

Exactly. You and chilipie hit the nail on the head.

You pretty much said what I was going to say :)

For me it was fine during "Blair Witch"-because the nature of the story, and other stories like that. I don't like how it's become a fad to add "realism" to movies where the talent looks impeccable (due to makeup and lighting), where the effects are Computer Generated, and where the "pacing" of the film looks professional in all other respects; so basically, a hollywood film in all other respects, with a "Shaky camera".

The new Star Trek didn't strike me as shaky at all. THIS, IMO, is an example of bad camera work and what seems like unintentional shakyness. (Plus, I had to post it because it's just wild to see such famous actors reprising their role for bad fan films. Kind of sad, but at least it shows that you can pay to put a name in your film if you are willing, which is one great way to get money/distribution if you're an indie filmmaker. I digress.)

2001, need some context for that ^^^^

Im glad Im not the only one with issues.. I still loved the movie, but thought it would be BETTER on smaller screen..

Here Iv been working hard the last year to get smooth handheld footage and it turns out I didn't need to bother.. lol

Back