Wheatgrinder gives two big thubms up to Magic Lantern

OK, the features are just two incredible... If you have a T2i then magic lantern turns a great imaging system into a good camera system...

Not only audio MONITORING, but you can configure the mic input to be BALANCED! Using the three pins of the stereo input, pin out cable diagram included...

Exposure and focus aids are amazing..

Focus Peaking

SCREEN ZOOM IN WHILE RECORDING... do you hear that ZOOM IN TO A PART OF THE SCREEN WHILE RECORDING.. you know how cool that is! (doesn't affect recording image of course)

Zebra Stripes

Point exposure level monitoring.. a little number under the cross hairs just tells you how close to 100% white that area is.. no, thats not useful...

CBR of 30mbs

Auto continue record! Thats right.. if your recording goes over the limit (30 mins or 4gb which ever comes first) a new recording starts automatically..

way many more features to consider...

OK, the features are just two incredible... If you have a T2i then magic lantern turns a great imaging system into a good camera system...

Not only audio MONITORING, but you can configure the mic input to be BALANCED! Using the three pins of the stereo input, pin out cable diagram included...

what exactly do you mean this. I knew you could turn off the AGC but what is balancing? And what is this diagram your talking about?

in the newest build of the firmware, you can hook up an XLR balanced cable input into the mic input, not as an adapter, but as a true LOW Z mic connection. Lets you run a long cable to a mic on a boom etc..

I just dowloaded this and installed the newest build. Its pretty sweet. Things im excited about is turning off the AGC, the intervelometer, Also you can restore the default firmware simlpy by formatting the memory card.

wheat, you might not want to load ML if you still plan on sending your camera back.

join up with the Magic Lantern VIMEO group, thats where the lead developer does most his communication.

So did you download the "magiclantern-2011Mar11.550d.fw109.AudioMon.MagicZoom.alex.zip" version ?

The wiring diagram for the balanced cable is in the pdf file in that zip..

yes... the interface is way better. when i was testing out the original build, there was no audio during play back. but the latest build fixed that. also i was testing out the intervelometer and i found out that it takes 2 second long clips. I thought it would compile them all into one video but i was wrong.

So did you download the "magiclantern-2011Mar11.550d.fw109.AudioMon.MagicZoom.alex.zip" version ?

this is the one i got.

Cam, I dont understand what false color is doing?

Thanks..

If you look at it like a weather radar, except different colors indicate different levels of exposure instead of intensity of rain, you're on the right track.

Here's the color key: http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/a5db0a709aa86767?pli=1

Also, I recommend changing the low zebra to 5 and the high zebra to 235 which will act as a warning when IRE is at 90%+. Otherwise, your live view ends up looking like a heads-up display in an F-22 which can be distracting.

Last edited:
Does anybodys magic lantern menu flicker? I'm posting a video of what I'm talking about. The menu flickers way worse than what you can see in the vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UC6SPLfPTE

goob, I was about to post a bug on how in 720 60p mode the flicker on the magic zoom makes it unusable.. The refresh rate on the 1080p is slow in the magic zoom window but its not bad. (on external monitor by the way)

Meh, good enough for me.
So, is there any way to completly unistall ML from the camera? Note that formatting the SD is not unistalling, since there are still files in the camera that correspond to magic lantern.
If there is, I will give it a try.

Meh, good enough for me.
So, is there any way to completly unistall ML from the camera? Note that formatting the SD is not unistalling, since there are still files in the camera that correspond to magic lantern.
If there is, I will give it a try.

This is from the wiki site:

In case you want to stop using the ML Firmware, be sure to reverse the card from being "bootable" to "non bootable" with EOScard before inserting into your cam.

You're right, though, that files would still be in the camera, but there is no way to access them without a bootable SD card. They are dormant.

Back