Buying a Camera

I'm a filmmaker, but i'm fed up of being so limited borrowing other people's gear! Renting is a waste of time unless you have professionally scheduled shoots.
I'm an editor, scriptwriter, music composer, after effects artist, sound designer all rolled into one - but before I can go anywhere with this, I need a camera!
I want to get out there, filming with a couple of actors and a small crew getting the most professional look possible on an indie budget.

I have limited cash (but pointless letting that stop me filming) so I will probably end up buying whatever I choose on finance (loan), so whatever choice I make will have to pay for itself in the long run.

It needs to be HD, with different frame rates (50fps) and the best quality possible on a restricted budget.

DSLRs have been suggested (Canon 550D and 7D) for their excellent portability and great HD footage.
Are they realistic for making a short film? Is it just a gimmick?

Any other suggestions would be cool. What is an affordable option - used gear? Anything?
Thanks in advance.

Dan

DSLR's are great. We shoot all of our stuff in 7D's, on a budget though a t2i (550) or a t3i will work fine. The can go up to 60fps in 1280p, 24, 25 or 30 in 1080p.

With a DSLR, you'll need a few other things that you might be able to do ok without on another camera, like a separate audio recorder. You'll also probably need some type of shoulder mount if you want to do a lot of handheld stuff.

As with any camera, you'll also need a tripod.

Great cameras though. They give that shallow DOF look for not a lotta buck. Very versatile as well with all of the lens options available.

Excellent thanks. Thats what I was thinking really, and it's great to hear some reassurance that I'm not about to make a terrible decision.

Tripod is fairly cheap especially with such a lightweight camera, I will almost definitely go with the 550D (t2i) as apparently the major advantage of the 7D is the build quality, and not the sensor or shooting options. Shoulder mount seems to be almost as costly as the camera from what I can see - which isn't great...but I can hardly complain.

By separate audio recorder, do you mean a directional Mic for the camera? I hear the 550D supports one. Or am i better going with a separate audio unit entirely?

Thanks again,

Dan

Thanks.

You don't want to plug a mic into the camera, DSLR's have terrible audio inputs.

Try a Tascam DR-100 or a Zoom H4n, with your choice of microphone.

Also, a tripod is something that can last for years, any camera you buy will be outdated in days-months. Most cheap tripods are pretty much useless, be sure to invest in one with a good fluid head. Manfrotto usually has the best bang for buck in the lighter weight/intro categories. Same advice goes for lenses. A great lens will last a lifetime with care, and the glass you put in front of your camera makes maybe the biggest difference of anything you but image quality wise.

Also, sorry to keep "piling" stuff on your list, but a good camera without lights is almost pointless. A $500 beginners light kit can go far, but even a hardware store DIY kit is better than nothing.

A shoulder mount isn't 100% neccessary, but if you want to do handheld you'll need some sort of stabilization for it.

Brilliant. All the info I wanted and more.
I'll check out those recorders - seems like you're right. Anything with an XLR input should be far better than what's built into the camera.
I'll buy the 550D first, then gradually start adding kit rather than try and cut corners and buy it all at once.
That way, once I start filming properly I'll know the camera back to front.
Thanks again,

Dan

You don't want to plug a mic into the camera, DSLR's have terrible audio inputs.
Try a Tascam DR-100 or a Zoom H4n, with your choice of microphone.
I'll check out those recorders - seems like you're right. Anything with an XLR input should be far better than what's built into the camera.

I fully understand that many - make that most - indie filmmakers work on extremely tight budgets, but they should not make the mistake that just because something is popular it is a professional unit. The DR-100 and H4n are popular because they're cheap, not because they're good. I find that their mic pre-amps are harsh sounding, and they have low input levels; they also eat batteries at a ferocious rate. They are finicky about the flash cards that they use, have clunky menu systems and present other problems as well.

By professional audio standards units like the Marantz PMD-661 and the Fostex FR-2-LE are acceptable low budget alternatives. Professional production sound folks use separate mixers and recorders by Sound Devices, Zaxcom, Nagra plus a few units from Tascam, Edirol and Fostex, and use single mics that cost more than most indie types spend on their entire sound kit.

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

Thanks for the model names Alcove. Answers a question in the back of my mind. A brief ebay search shows "buy it now" prices on the Marantz aren't terribly more than the Zoom or the DR-100 (less than double). Since I know of a couple of records I can borrow/rent, I'll probably hold out for one of the nicer ones if I need my own.

I fully understand that many - make that most - indie filmmakers work on extremely tight budgets, but they should not make the mistake that just because something is popular it is a professional unit. The DR-100 and H4n are popular because they're cheap, not because they're good.

This is true, I think these recorders are on the same level as a T2i though. I don't consider the T2i to be a professional camera either. DSLR's are fine, but the "Pros" geneally use a 5D or 7D, or an EX-3 or similar with a 35mm lens adapter, or better a RED, or in the movie world 16mm or 35mm film.

There's varying levels of equipment in all aspects, and at the end of the day in most of our cases it's the talent person behind the gear that makes a difference more than the gear itself.

But the gear is important :)

Awesome photos of what looks like a proper sound cart, Alcove. Thanks for giving us the names of a couple sound recorders a step up from the bottom. Though, damn, plenty of green...or plastic...still required.

Hey, Dan. It sounds like we have similar financial situations. I do not mean to sell or promote this steadicam, exactly, since I do not have any hands-on experience with it, myself. But I've also been trying to figure out how to put an entry level rig together and make the best decisions that I can on a very small budget. Since I first saw the Hague stabilizer demonstrated, I've been looking for tests on Youtube for it. There're actually a bunch of them. And the results seem pretty impressive.

And, presumably, not all of those posters are on Hague's payroll (I should hope, anyway). The point is that they're fairly affordable, and I hope that they're also for real. They also happen to be made right there in the UK (I suppose. Sold from there, anyways).

I've done a few casual searches for steadicams and the results were mostly intimidating. Most seem to start at a steep price and then run up into the tens of thousands. Yikes.

Anyways, after having, perhaps, played the Hague's bee-ahtch, it would be great if Paul or others told us of their real world experience with the Hague, or, suggested some specific alternative steadicam products that won't be needing to send us to debtor's prison.

:)

sorry just to add to your list of cameras you are thinking about getting ( I also am in a similar position at the min) is the 60D or if you want the smaller more light weightiness of the 550D then maybe the 600D. I dont think these cameras are that much more expensive but they do come with a flip out adjustable LCD display making it easier to see what your filming at awkward angles. good luck.

Back