RED cam purchase: what to expect

I've been out this week raising money and trying to set up the purchase of a RED one Mysterium X.

So, after many phone calls and calculations, I have some good information to pass on to the boards.

RED Inc. has only one dealership internationally. That dealership has only one RED sales rep. His name is Prasan (pronounced Prussian) and he cycles through the continents via jet selling reds to America, India, and China at a rate of about 5 cameras per month per continent.

I spoke with him in Mainland China yesterday, and we discussed the purchase of a RED system.

Q: most dealers offer a discount from the list price of the product, If I come in and do 40 grand in business one day, can you knock off 15%?

A: No one has ever recieved a discount price, there is only the list, purchase size is irrelevant.

Q: So if I come in and pay full price, you'll give me what I need

A: We'll try, everything is handmade, and half of it is backordered at any given time.

Q: Can I rent a viewfinder or lens while I wait for you to get mine in stock to purchase.

A: No, that would break up a set we rent out.

Q: What does a basic package look like, just the minimum to go out and shoot efectively?

A: We sell a low end package for $43,000, a mid package at $65,000 and a high package...

Me: let me stop you there.

Q: Can I get a basic package put together and delivered in 2 weeks?

A: Maybe, call RED directly and check availability, I'll see what I can do here, and contact you in a few days.

So there you go, an inside look at ordering a ($25,000, hahahah) camera.

It's going to be a bit more of an uphill battle than I thought.

People are still buying reds?

I've been out this week raising money and trying to set up the purchase of a RED one Mysterium X.

So, after many phone calls and calculations, I have some good information to pass on to the boards.

RED Inc. has only one dealership internationally. That dealership has only one RED sales rep. His name is Prasan (pronounced Prussian) and he cycles through the continents via jet selling reds to America, India, and China at a rate of about 5 cameras per month per continent.

I spoke with him in Mainland China yesterday, and we discussed the purchase of a RED system.

Q: most dealers offer a discount from the list price of the product, If I come in and do 40 grand in business one day, can you knock off 15%?

A: No one has ever recieved a discount price, there is only the list, purchase size is irrelevant.

Q: So if I come in and pay full price, you'll give me what I need

A: We'll try, everything is handmade, and half of it is backordered at any given time.

Q: Can I rent a viewfinder or lens while I wait for you to get mine in stock to purchase.

A: No, that would break up a set we rent out.

Q: What does a basic package look like, just the minimum to go out and shoot efectively?

A: We sell a low end package for $43,000, a mid package at $65,000 and a high package...

Me: let me stop you there.

Q: Can I get a basic package put together and delivered in 2 weeks?

A: Maybe, call RED directly and check availability, I'll see what I can do here, and contact you in a few days.

So there you go, an inside look at ordering a ($25,000, hahahah) camera.

It's going to be a bit more of an uphill battle than I thought.

I bet they're switching to more of a Panavision model of business selling to regional companies with a territory for rental only.

There is something to be said for limited availability and keeping something hot.

What in a 43k package? I thought 30k would get you a low end package ? I hope so anyway.

Owen

I hoped so to, but it was not to be. I'm buying the absolute minimum to get the camera to turn on and record, and 2 lenses (a movie lens, and a video lens, in laymans terms)

My cheapest price is $47,550 + insurance.

I't's the second most expensive thing I've bought in my entire life.

As of yesterday, I completed my business plan to create offsets for the RED. There's no way I'm saying how I did it, but I have managed to offset the entire price of the camera in advance of purchase. Took 4 days, and now I will never make a loan payment. I would tell everyone, but everyone would jump on this bandwagon, and the bandwagon would collapse.

You have a hint now though, It's possible to get your red to pay for itself. And it doesn't take too long either.

Interesting. I was hopefully purchasing in 2012 if the worlds hasn't ended by then. If you feel up for it I'd like to see a complete parts list.

Owen

Interesting. I was hopefully purchasing in 2012 if the worlds hasn't ended by then. If you feel up for it I'd like to see a complete parts list.

Owen

Here is the information regarding the Red One package that I am looking into
purchasing.

1 Red One Mysterium X = 25,000

RED PRO 35mm T1.8 PRIME LENS = 4,250

RED PRO 7" LCD low res monitor = 2,500

RED ONE 1.8" SSD MODULE accepts REDMAG 1.8" SSD cards = 1,500

REDMAG 1.8" SSD 256GB = 3,200

RED power pack = 1,450

Base production pack = 1,250

RED Matte box = 1,250

RED lens case (also fits camera) = 575

RED top and bottom matte flags = 80

Nikkon lens adapter = 500

Total = $42,050

I'll be buying an 18-85 soon, but it looks like I may not be able to afford it
on my initial purchase. (additional 6k within a few months)

How do you pay for this stuff Nate?

I just kept sacrificing chickens on a voodoo alter until I won the lottery.

No, just kidding.

For one, I work professionally in the advertising industry. So I had 10 grand of my own. Then I set up business offsets, such as tax breaks, future work, and rentals. The thing I won't say is how I set up so many rentals so fast and got insured for free.

Once I had the numbers solid, and could show my math on a complete financial recovery, I put up my car (Jag XJ 12) and am now in the process of borrowing the rest on the basis of a verifiable plan, and 20k of my own money. It's still hard to raise money, but it definitely gets easier when you do 2 things.

First, show them you aren't asking them to take a risk that you yourself would not take.

Second, show them that you can repay the money realistically, (not by breaking into Hollywood) and direct them to verify what you say with others, not with you or your friends.

No, just kidding.

For one, I work professionally in the advertising industry. So I had 10 grand of my own. Then I set up business offsets, such as tax breaks, future work, and rentals. The thing I won't say is how I set up so many rentals so fast and got insured for free.

Once I had the numbers solid, and could show my math on a complete financial recovery, I put up my car (Jag XJ 12) and am now in the process of borrowing the rest on the basis of a verifiable plan, and 20k of my own money. It's still hard to raise money, but it definitely gets easier when you do 2 things.

First, show them you aren't asking them to take a risk that you yourself would not take.

Second, show them that you can repay the money realistically, (not by breaking into Hollywood) and direct them to verify what you say with others, not with you or your friends.

Thanks for the short breakdown.

Good to have this info on the boards for anyone who wonders how big dollar equipment packages are part of a business model rather than an individual purchase for a specific project.

Mind if I ask of you are planning to DIT/AC with the package along with rentals, or are you using rentals to help justify your camera kit as a DP? Or some combination of the above?

Question:

That seems spendy for a RED Prime; did you look around at other lens options? You could probably save some coin in the long term by finding a good used set of SuperSpeeds. Chances are for the price of two or three RED primes you could have a full 5 or 6 piece set of Zeiss, admittedly used. They're out there in really good condition.

I like this method better, jk.

I am only a kid, so that makes me very jealous. :)

Thanks for sharing. The red body was $17k last time I looked. Has it gone up with the new sensor? I plan on using all my canon primes with the red so I can trim a little of that price, and store in my already owned pelican cases. And the nikon adapter not needed but then I guess I'll need a canon adaptor yes? How about using a 5inch Marshall monitor on this?
So angry as I had a 30k max budget for this by 2012.

Owen

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. The red body was $17k last time I looked. Has it gone up with the new sensor? I plan on using all my canon primes with the red so I can trim a little of that price, and store in my already owned pelican cases. And the nikon adapter not needed but then I guess I'll need a canon adaptor yes? How about using a 5inch Marshall monitor on this?
So angry as I had a 30k max budget for this by 2012.

Owen

It has gone up, to 25k. I raised 25k to go buy one, becuase someone said, "you can get a RED for 25k" then approached the store, and they basically said, "come back when you have 50k"

I don't think you can use off brand monitors, but lenses are ok. Just keep in mind that a $650 Nikkon or Cannon lens won't give you quite the same look. I talked to a guy that works with REDs daily, and he said you might want to go for MORE expensive lenses. He suggested I buy Ziess master primes. I suggested he buy a Ferrari F40. I'm sure their both great.

Yeh things are never as cheap as you first expect. My original 10k dslr kit is already pushing the 40k mark. Woulda just saved for the red if I new. Ive heard the L series primes should be ok on red but some nice zeiss glass would be better of course. Would be good if red accepted third party monitors, I'll look into that. A nice red ferrari would look nice next to a red.
Congrats again on your order and keep us posted on anything Red.

Owen

Yeh things are never as cheap as you first expect. My original 10k dslr kit is already pushing the 40k mark. Woulda just saved for the red if I new. Ive heard the L series primes should be ok on red but some nice zeiss glass would be better of course. Would be good if red accepted third party monitors, I'll look into that. A nice red ferrari would look nice next to a red.
Congrats again on your order and keep us posted on anything Red.

Owen

40k on a DSLR kit?! You must have bought, like, four Zacuto clamps… :D

Back